Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Chopper Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

Ok, seems this is old news, but I didn't see it on here. The episode that aired last week was the end of the series.

Sr. is suing Jr. for a million dollars and wants to force him to sell his shares in the company.

http://tvseriesfinal...d-season-seven/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

I just started watching this again after a few years. I did not even know until a few weeks ago that Jr. left to do his own thing. It sure does seem like the shop runs a lot smoother than before. Of course we don't know the whole truth because of editing but there is a lot less unneeded stress in the shop. (maybe more in the office.)

It's too bad to see a family split up like that though.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Paul Sr. always came off as a lazier SOB that liked to take credit for Paul Jr's work. (Paul Jr is a lazy genius) It seemed every episode Sr would come up with a small suggestion, thus allowing him to take more credit that he deserved.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

I just started watching this again after a few years. I did not even know until a few weeks ago that Jr. left to do his own thing. It sure does seem like the shop runs a lot smoother than before. Of course we don't know the whole truth because of editing but there is a lot less unneeded stress in the shop. (maybe more in the office.)

It's too bad to see a family split up like that though.

Personally, I'm hoping that now that the cameras are off, they can reconcile. But he's never reconciled with his other son (Iron Works) so it may not happen.

#5 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Paul Sr. always came off as a lazier SOB that liked to take credit for Paul Jr's work. (Paul Jr is a lazy genius) It seemed every episode Sr would come up with a small suggestion, thus allowing him to take more credit that he deserved.

I agree 100%.

Granted, Jr. had a horrible work ethic while at OCC. But, IMO, he's a major reason for the success that OCC had... and the way Sr. is treating both him and Mikey is just horrible.

I understand Senior's frustration over they way things went when Junior was there... but I also work with alot of creative people, and many of them function the same way as Junior does. Schedules are fluid as their creative juices flow, so long as the product is done on time at the end...

It was definitely time for this show to go, though.... When it started, you got to see the creative process behind building a custom bike. Sure, you had the drama of Jr vs. Sr to fill in the gaps, but the interesting part to me was watching Jr work through the design process and come up with something really unique.

The last little while, it was all about the bickering, and you'd see little tidbits of the bike build and then unveil the bike at the bike at the end. That's when I lost all interest in the show... so, good riddance.

Anyone wanna take bets on how long before Senior runs the company into the ground? ;)
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#6 OFFLINE   4120 woodrow ct

4120 woodrow ct

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

My personal opinion is THANK GOD!! I am sick of these so called reality shows. and that one was one of the worse, just a bunch of d**ks being d**ks to each other.... now if they would just get rid all of the ghost wannabe shows that are showing up. anyway...

#7 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

I will really miss the original creative concept of this show and JR's inspirations. Too bad about what it had become.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

I've never heard of this channel, but on Resorts and Residences TV (channel 354 on DirecTV) is a new show called Throttle Junkies with Vinnie and Cody. Starts tonight.

http://www.vforcecus...&id=81&Itemid=1

A few other channels carry it, the link above gives the full lineup. No idea if it will be any good, but I'll record them for now.

#9 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

No motorcyclist with an ounce of brains would want to own one of their custom bikes, let alone pay for it. And their production bikes are nothing special. This used to be an interesting show to watch because of the creative process. But the show lost a lot when Vinney finally got fed up with being treated like crap. And the really interesting paint jobs got tossed by the wayside along with Nubbie who did them. The final show stunk in my opinion, so good riddance to bad rubbish. I help moderate a motorcycle forum and no one is mourning the loss of this show.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#10 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

No motorcyclist with an ounce of brains would want to own one of their custom bikes, let alone pay for it.

I know next to nothing about custom bikes, or bikes in general, but curious minds want to know why?
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Just starting watching this show about 2 years ago, mainly through reruns. Really liked it, but always thought Sr was just a big d***. I just liked seeing what went into the bikes and the final reveal. Plus, it was a show my kids liked, so we could watch it together. However, that being said, while Jr was good as customizing bikes, I never thought he was a creative genius or anything of that nature. I'm sure his business will do OK, just because of his name, but he's yet to do anything special. The grill and the dog park, were both basic things and I was pretty tired of seeing his logo on everything he wore and drove. I give his company another couple of years living off of his name before it goes belly up.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Take a look at the geometrics on the vast majority of their customs. Want to try turning one of those bikes through an intersection in heavy traffic? Want to try stopping one quickly in an emergency?? Not much to most of their seat pans, so after 30 minutes in the saddle you're going to be pretty sore, particularly given the rear suspension, or lack thereof, for a lot of their custom bikes. They've got puny gas tanks, so if you want to do more than ride to the local bar and pose, you'll be visiting gas stations on a regular basis. And of course you'd better like to do your own wrenching as it's likely to be hard to find someone in a regular bike shop who can service your ride.

Their production bikes start in the low 30's, about twice what I paid for my bike (Honda ST-1300). I've got a bike that's incredibly reliable, will run all day and come back for more the next. I did a 1,236 mile day last Fall. Wouldn't even think about doing something like that on one of their bikes.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#13 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

Take a look at the geometrics on the vast majority of their customs. Want to try turning one of those bikes through an intersection in heavy traffic? Want to try stopping one quickly in an emergency?? Not much to most of their seat pans, so after 30 minutes in the saddle you're going to be pretty sore, particularly given the rear suspension, or lack thereof, for a lot of their custom bikes. They've got puny gas tanks, so if you want to do more than ride to the local bar and pose, you'll be visiting gas stations on a regular basis. And of course you'd better like to do your own wrenching as it's likely to be hard to find someone in a regular bike shop who can service your ride.

Their production bikes start in the low 30's, about twice what I paid for my bike (Honda ST-1300). I've got a bike that's incredibly reliable, will run all day and come back for more the next. I did a 1,236 mile day last Fall. Wouldn't even think about doing something like that on one of their bikes.

John

Makes sense to me. :)
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#14 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

IMO Jr's style, innovation and ability to make his visions reality are what put OCC on the map. Jr and Vinny were responsible for most of the really outstanding projects that OCC delivered. Without Jr, Sr would have been building Wyatt replicas from Easy Rider cause the old man is stuck in the Old School.

If you don't agree then just look at Jr's web bike and the pedestrian Black Widow bike that Sr and his dwarfs put out.

Business aside, Sr's estrangement from his other son foretold the treatment and attitude the old man would heap on Jr and Mikey.

As a recovering alcoholic Sr should be ashamed of his lack of support for Mikey battling the same problem.

The old man NEVER missing a chance to dig at Jr and Mikey on camera was wearing thin with me and his laughing at Jr establishing his business was thinly disguised ENVY.

I hope Sr gets everything he deserves... himself.

#15 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

I know next to nothing about custom bikes, or bikes in general, but curious minds want to know why?

Those bikes are for lookin' at not for ridin' on.

#16 OFFLINE   Ned C

Ned C

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationRacine WI

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

For the rich and famous and charities..

#17 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

I just want to start with, I don't think that Sr. was a saint, but.....

I cannot believe how many posts there are being hard on him, Jr. had a little talent and was one LAZY SOB. Yes he made some cool stuff to look at, so he can weld and give orders. He had some neat ideas, then someone to execute most of them, someone to mock up the bikes, someone to paint them, someone to assemble them, someone to wire them. OH yeah, he did go to the unveiling. Just because you "think" you are a genius doesn't give you a pass to show up to work when YOU want to. If that's is what you want, you shouldn't be working in a regular business setting that has people relying on you to be there.

#18 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

I just want to start with, I don't think that Sr. was a saint, but.....

I cannot believe how many posts there are being hard on him, Jr. had a little talent and was one LAZY SOB. Yes he made some cool stuff to look at, so he can weld and give orders. He had some neat ideas, then someone to execute most of them, someone to mock up the bikes, someone to paint them, someone to assemble them, someone to wire them. OH yeah, he did go to the unveiling. Just because you "think" you are a genius doesn't give you a pass to show up to work when YOU want to. If that's is what you want, you shouldn't be working in a regular business setting that has people relying on you to be there.

I just want to start with... if you think Jr was a LAZY SOB then you are agreeing that Sr was the bitch. Build a bike yourself from the ground up and then talk. I have done it more than once and it is no easy task.

Conceive assemblies and components in your mind and then get someone to execute them. See how easy it is to put your vision in someone else's mind and hands and have the end result even come close to what's in your mind's eye. That talent alone set Jr far above anyone else at OCC. Sr's innovations are limited to fork tube slugs, struts, ape hangers, and solo seats.

Not to demean the others at OCC, but Jr was the design force behind every trend breaking design that OCC put out while he was there.

Michelangelo and DaVinci didn't punch a clock.

While I respect Rick and his incredible ability with sheet metal and fabrication Jr saw the WHOLE instead of the component like Rick does.

The crew I'd like to see let loose in one shop is Jr, Vinny, Rick, and Mikey... Mikey simply for comic relief.

#19 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

I just want to start with... if you think Jr was a LAZY SOB then you are agreeing that Sr was the bitch. Build a bike yourself from the ground up and then talk.

On the first part I say fair enough.

On the second part I have never built a bike from ground up. Jr. may have a creative mind, I will give him credit for that. If he didn't want to punch a clock he never should have invested in a business that required him to be there on a regular schedule, genius or not, people relied on him and most times he wasn't there. (Clever editing or the truth, we don't really know.)

#20 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

On the first part I say fair enough.

On the second part I have never built a bike from ground up. Jr. may have a creative mind, I will give him credit for that. If he didn't want to punch a clock he never should have invested in a business that required him to be there on a regular schedule, genius or not, people relied on him and most times he wasn't there. (Clever editing or the truth, we don't really know.)

Jr was there enough for 6 years at OCC that his creative skills took Orange County Ironworks who made railings and gates and grew it into Orange County Choppers who built and sold mid to high 5 digit show bikes to people who had more money than sense.

People relied on Jr and he delivered EXACTLY what they needed again and again and again. Without Jr, Sr would still be making gates and railings and building mid 60's choppers in his shed.

While you are entitled to your opinion, unless you posses or have been around real creative genius, you just can't understand that that skill set doesn't punch a clock whether motorcycle design, programming, or art and music. I have had the opportunity to be around those genius types a few times in my 60 years and they can achieve more in a day than most of us do in a week. It can be truly inspiring to observe.

spam firewall