Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Chopper Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

Not a surprise this whole season I've been saying to myself this has to be the last one, it turned from 80% bike building to 80% emotional or extracurricular BS.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Not a surprise this whole season I've been saying to myself this has to be the last one, it turned from 80% bike building to 80% emotional or extracurricular BS.

Partly because they feel that is more interesting, and also companies aren't spending the money on a promo bike like they did.

#23 OFFLINE   DBSooner

DBSooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

As a person that has watched the show since the beginning I'm happy to see it end. The last few years have been pretty bad.

Fame and money went to their heads. I expect OCC to go under within a few years. Sr. should be ok money wise but Jr. and Mikey on the other hand....
Mikey especially, he doesn't do anything particularly well and I wonder if he can stay sober.
D* subscriber since 2002

HD DVR - HR21-100
HD DVR - HR21-100
HD - H21-100

If I think before I post, I might not post at all. :)

#24 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

I did a 1,236 mile day last Fall. Wouldn't even think about doing something like that on one of their bikes.

That's one hell of a day in the saddle! Serious Iron Butt Rally material. My longest single day is right around 500 miles and that was plenty for me.

#25 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

That's one hell of a day in the saddle! Serious Iron Butt Rally material. My longest single day is right around 500 miles and that was plenty for me.

Thanks! Bucket List item. Left Indio, CA at 7:01AM and rolled into my bed at 3:01AM. Worst part was riding through middle and northern CA in 90-105 degree weather. A great bike (ST 1300) and terrific saddle (Russell) make all the difference in the world.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#26 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thanks! Bucket List item. Left Indio, CA at 7:01AM and rolled into my bed at 3:01AM. Worst part was riding through middle and northern CA in 90-105 degree weather. A great bike (ST 1300) and terrific saddle (Russell) make all the difference in the world.

John

My best was the 900 mile last leg of a summer of 1971 long loop around the US... Davenport, Iowa home to Philadelphia, PA on a 1971 Kawasaki H1 (lousy seat) stopping only for gas (and 2 stroke oil), coffee, and necessities.

#27 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Kind of Glad the show is coming to an end. I have watched the show from the beginning and agree they left the Bike building behind and went more for the Drama, and it was all getting old.
Sr maybe an SOB, but he is the owner, and the buck stops with him, and the last thing you want is a Prima Donna, that can't live up to his agreements, like showing up on time, and leaving early, and not letting others do his job, ie Jr.
Several times they made simple agreements like this and Jr couldn't live up to them. Mikey was a different case altogether. Jr had some vision, but was really left behind talentwise, by Rick and others and not to mention how much of the REAL work Vinnie used to do, and they had to hire others to pick up the slack as Jr couldn't/wouldn't. Lets not forget how much of the design work was actually done by, Jason Pohl.

I will miss the show. Will miss the Great Biker buildoff even more, it went off the air sometime ago, as they couldn't capture the audience like American Chopper. Granted I think it was canceled as it showed real Craftsman, and showed how Jr, didn't really have that much talent. American Chopper never made anything that would have won of the build off's, no matter how much time Jr spent working on it, let alone the 2 week deadline.
Choppers aren't my style, I can appreciate what it takes to make them, metal work is cool, love the painting and graphics even more, and thats what really makes a Bike Pop.
The idea of logging in long miles on one of those bikes, scares the crap out of me. Arse would hurt, arms would be falling off, and leg Craps, would keep me from walking for days afterwards.
Now my BMW R1150GS, I can ride for days straight, and never have a complaint.

#28 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

The common denominator in all the family trouble is Paul Sr. All of the kids get along just fine but Paul Sr. doesn't have a relationship with any of them. Gee, I wonder who is the main part of the problem.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#30 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,134 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:16 AM

Ok, seems this is old news, but I didn't see it on here. The episode that aired last week was the end of the series.

Sr. is suing Jr. for a million dollars and wants to force him to sell his shares in the company.

http://tvseriesfinal...d-season-seven/

Wow! I thought the show had been canceled a couple of years back. I personally had not watched the show since it moved off Discovery.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#31 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:22 AM

I know next to nothing about custom bikes, or bikes in general, but curious minds want to know why?

Because they are all looks and no function. They use improper gauge wiring because it looks "cool" but they can't handle the voltage coming from a sparkplug and short out. They're great if you're riding a mile a week from your condo to the local yuppie bar, but take a substantial ride and you'll be hitching home with your bike on a trailer. They're not dependable. Plus all the chrome and doodads and crap are tailored for the yuppie clientele.

I'd take my 1999 Harley Dyna Wide Glide with 19" apes and no extraneous chrome over an OCC or even a West Coast Chopper, any day. At least I know the seat won't fall off. Most real bikers (i.e. not accountants, doctors, or anybody who likes to keep their leathers clean and pressed) will tell you the same.

#32 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

As a rider myself, I'm pretty surprised by the depth of the criticism of the OCC bikes and other similar bikes. To me the bikes have a certain appeal to certain people. I'm OK with that. Those bikes are not my thing but I still respect them for what they are. Just like I respect other bikes from your Harley Sportster all the way to your Suzuki Hayabusa. For many people it's not about how many miles you can rack up in one sitting. For some, it could be just an aesthetic/scene/culture thing. For others, it could be how fast you can go in a 1/4 mile. And for others, it could be how fast you can nail that corner while dragging your knee.

I fall into the sport biker category currently. But yet many people are surprised that I'll go on rides with cruisers and tourers. There are also times, I'll go out to have a little fun on the twisties. With the bikes I have, which are meant to perform at the extremes, rider comfort for long rides were never a design consideration.

Also within the sport bike circles, there are those that ridicule one of the bikes I own as just under performing and paying a premium for the name bike. For those that haven't figured it out yet, the brand I'm referring to is Ducati. I have a 09 Ducati 848 along with an 04 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R. While I still enjoy my 10, hence why I still have it in my stable, the 848 is just a different animal. While I'm not as fanatical as other Ducati owners, I understand the passion they exhibit. For the people that poke fun at Ducs, they'll never get it unless they actually own one.

#33 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Well said zx10guy.

I've always like the bikes they built, even though I knew most of them wouldn't be comfortable for a long ride. That was never the point and not what most of their customers wanted. Heck, they even made one this season that had a 1 gallon gas tank. but the customer didn't care, because they'd rarely be riding it for more than 5-10 mile stretches at a time. They were more like works of art to look at and appreciate. The fact that you could ride them was more of a bonus.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#34 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

As a rider myself, I'm pretty surprised by the depth of the criticism of the OCC bikes and other similar bikes. To me the bikes have a certain appeal to certain people. I'm OK with that. Those bikes are not my thing but I still respect them for what they are. Just like I respect other bikes from your Harley Sportster all the way to your Suzuki Hayabusa. For many people it's not about how many miles you can rack up in one sitting. For some, it could be just an aesthetic/scene/culture thing. For others, it could be how fast you can go in a 1/4 mile. And for others, it could be how fast you can nail that corner while dragging your knee.

I fall into the sport biker category currently. But yet many people are surprised that I'll go on rides with cruisers and tourers. There are also times, I'll go out to have a little fun on the twisties. With the bikes I have, which are meant to perform at the extremes, rider comfort for long rides were never a design consideration.

Also within the sport bike circles, there are those that ridicule one of the bikes I own as just under performing and paying a premium for the name bike. For those that haven't figured it out yet, the brand I'm referring to is Ducati. I have a 09 Ducati 848 along with an 04 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R. While I still enjoy my 10, hence why I still have it in my stable, the 848 is just a different animal. While I'm not as fanatical as other Ducati owners, I understand the passion they exhibit. For the people that poke fun at Ducs, they'll never get it unless they actually own one.

I think most "Riders" will agree with you. You like your kind of bike, but respect what others like and ride as well. Were I have enjoyed American Chopper, they really have moved away from Bike building, to family drama.
Choppers aren't my thing at all, I do respect the workmanship, both metal and paintwork that it takes to create them though, and enjoy watching the creation of them, from Idea to working model.
I always preferred Biker Biuld-off, as that showed some really, really skilled people. Imagine Jr with a 10 day deadline, now that would have been a funny show.
Some of the Fanatics of a certain bike or those that hate a certain bike style have to be careful sometimes. I started out with a RD350 2 stroke oil injected, moved to a CB900, family hand me down, traded for a Fj1100, moved to V65 Sabre, that I still have. Always enjoyed my Yamaha TDM850.
From Day one of Riding, I always put down BMW's. NOW I own a BMW R1150GS and absolutly love the thing, and it will be very hard to pry it from my hands. Heck I even wave at Ducati riders as they aren't that bad.

#35 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

zx10 & sub should settle this on the track. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

Folks, I've deleted several posts in this thread. Let's take the personal discussions to private messaging please.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#37 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

I guess I’ll start watching Vinnie and Cody’s TV show. Link: http://www.vforcecustoms.com/

I bet Paul Jr. will be back on TV soon.

#38 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

I guess I’ll start watching Vinnie and Cody’s TV show. Link: http://www.vforcecustoms.com/

I bet Paul Jr. will be back on TV soon.

Very cool. Thanks for the link. If it's in HD I will watch it.:)

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Very cool. Thanks for the link. If it's in HD I will watch it.:)

Its on Resorts and Residences channel, which I'd never heard of. No HD :(

#40 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Thank God... Why are we all fascinated with watching this crap??? I watched one show and that was it for me.... I couldn't belive it was on for as long as it was...
HarryD

spam firewall