Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scratching My Head, Weak(?) Channels

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rrp13

rrp13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

There are 2 OTA VHF channels in my area that I get about 75-80 signal strength when hooked directly to my TV and the signal is stable, very watchable. But, through my 722K, one of them will not come in at all, the other one goes in and out. I have one RG6 lead that comes in from my outdoor antenna and I have a Tru-Spec splitter splitting the signal to the 722K and my TV. I've removed the splitter and went directly to the 722K with no improvement. My TV gets the same signal strength with or without the splitter. I removed the tuner cartridge from the 722K and reseated it, still no improvement. According to tvfool.com, the transmitters for these channels are about 20 miles from me. I receive channels that are 65-70 miles away with about a 65-70 signal strength on the 722k and these channels are stable. I don't know what else to check, anyone got any other suggestions? Thanks!

Richie

#2 OFFLINE   rrp13

rrp13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

Well, screwed around some more, deleted the channel. Now, can't get it back. 722K channel scan won't pick it up. tvfool.com says the "Real" channel is 12. I go to Add Locals, go to channel 12, getting 96 signal but, no "Channel Number" resolves. I'm definitely out of ideas now.

#3 OFFLINE   TheSolidSignal

TheSolidSignal

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Its possible you may be getting too strong of a signal for those two channels. Stations within 25 miles, especially VHF, are susceptible to overdriving, or overpowering, your satellite tuner with too much signal. This results in little or no signal.

If you are using a pre-amp, try taking it out of the system or try adding a 3 or 4 way splitter before the tuner to knock down the signal level. The fact that you get the further stations and not the closer ones only reaffirms my belief that you could be overdriving your tuner. While your other tv's may handle the signal quite well, the 722k has a very sensitive tuner.

Good luck!

#4 OFFLINE   rrp13

rrp13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Not using a pre-amp. Will try the larger splitter.

But, why would I be able to see signal in "Add Locals" on that channel yet, it won't resolve a channel number? Is that a symptom of too strong of a signal?

#5 OFFLINE   rrp13

rrp13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

A 4-way splitter cuts my signal down so much that I lose the channels that are farther away. Guess I'm outta luck.

#6 OFFLINE   rrp13

rrp13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

OK, tried one other thing I hadn't tried, I removed all splitters and connected the RG6 directly to the 722k. Both of the nearby stations are coming in fine now and the distant stations got a boost of about 6-7 signal level. I guess it isn't a big deal to not have the antenna connected directly to my TV. But, is there a way to split the signal without loss?

#7 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,539 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

Any split signal results in signal loss. No way around that. In some cases you can boost/amplify the signal (IF you have a solid/strong/clean signal to begin with) and compensate for the split.

It sounds like you were having the most trouble with the "Virtual channel" number encoding on the channel, and not so much the channel reception itself. I know I've seen my local stations have times when they were not properly broadcasting their virtual ID, but I don't know that I've ever been able to trace a problem down to a split signal at my end.

Then again, I'm not actually splitting my antenna signal anymore.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   rrp13

rrp13

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

Well, I removed the splitter a day after not being able to get the virtual channel so, was it the splitter or did they fix the virtual channel over night?

I still seem to be having trouble with an overdriven signal on the 2 stations that are 20 miles from me. But, I get all 4 major networks on the stations farther away from me so, I don't guess I can't complain. Well, I can, but I shouldn't. :D

#9 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,539 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Possibly... regarding the virtual channel. I've had a channel that sometimes would scan correctly, and sometimes not... within minutes of a previous scan. Then other times it would be wrong for an entire day, then fine the next day.

Hard to peg that one down, since it is possible it could be a channel-specific issue that had nothing to do with your configuration.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   TheSolidSignal

TheSolidSignal

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hey, I'm glad to hear you're getting your channels now. While your 722K is biggest culprit in this setup, the splitter was adding some unnecessary noise to the signal.

A small in-line amp, or amplified splitter, should make up for any loss that's incurred from the split. Your best bet is to place the amp as close to the antenna as possible, ideally right as the cable enters the house. If thats the case, then use a Winegard HDA-100. If you are unable to supply power there, then try an amplified splitter such as the Channel Master CM3412.

Again, glad to see you have your channels working. As you can see, different tuners have different thresholds for how much signal is necessary to register as a channel. Others are more sensitive to signal to noise ratio.

spam firewall