Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Daytona 500 comments

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Nothing about results or standings.

You would think that the one of the flagship tracks, in the biggest race of the year, would be maintained a little better. Last time it was paved was in the late 70s...

No one on Fox would DARE say anything, but this is an embarassment. I've been to several races (including three Daytona 500s and a few Pepsi races) but this would be very aggravating if I flew down there, and had to sit and wait for a track repair. NOT SUGGESTING THAT THEY RUN ON THE DAMAGED TRACK,but come on....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Guess it depends how much revenue the actual track gets from the 590 commercials FOX is showing...longer race, more commercials. Understand they had a lot of rain last week, which causes the track to come apart. Glad they are doing the safe thing though.

#3 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Here's the worst thing that could happen to Fox.. I'm changing the channel :)

#4 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

They should've repair the track days before the race.

#5 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Well, there was no issue seen there during the other races and a pre-race inspection, so they are not totally negligent. Working in construction, I can tell you that lots of rain can make bad things happen to soils and consequently asphalt above it. Judging by all the bottoming out there even after teh hole was fixed, it appears they had a pretty big area of subsidence and it caused this problem. My guess is (unless they pave the whole track) they will need to remove a pretty large area there, dig down and put in new base material before repaving that section of the track.

It is still pretty bush league to have the surface come apart in that way and take so long to fix, in the premier event, kicking off the season.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#6 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

And there is no way they can repave the track by the next race (3 July - Coke Zero 400) and have the surface ready....

#7 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

Daytona 500 2011 was a joke.

Race, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Race, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Race, Race, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Race.

#8 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 954 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

anyone know the name of the song to wrap up the race today.. it was the song when they show all the highlights as the race ends..

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out..
thanks..

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

I didn't even realize that was today.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

I think I understand how drafting works, but can someone please explain the part about pushing and how it make them run faster. Thanks in advance.

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:29 PM

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

@yosoyellobo, aerodynamics
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#12 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Daytona 500 2011 was a joke.

Race, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Race, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Race, Race, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Caution, Race.

Isn't that why most people watch racing? Hoping for that big accident!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#13 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

Isn't that why most people watch racing? Hoping for that big accident!

Just like fighting in hockey wrecks are cool, but after too many it becomes boring.
It becomes a lot of waiting around for track cleanup and interuptions of the action and no real racing.
When they wave the yellow flag all the time it becomes too many restarts.

The car following at 200 mph has less wind resistance so speeds up and pushes the car in front.
Now that the track is so smooth and has huge tire grip they can push all the way around the track.
Looked like a lot of mating going on out there. I called it the towtruck 500, but it was better than I thought. lol

#14 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

The car following at 200 mph has less wind resistance so speeds up and pushes the car in front.
Now that the track is so smooth and has huge tire grip they can push all the way around the track.
Looked like a lot of mating going on out there. I called it the towtruck 500, but it was better than I thought. lol

Got it. Thanks.

spam firewall