Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FYI - VIP722 Problem buffering OTA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   morrisdl

morrisdl

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

I had a problem with playing back in progress OTA recordings and buffering live OTA tv. All 10 OTA channels and on both TV1 (IR) and TV2 (UHF). THe 2 sat tuners worked fine. I also noticed that the box was very sluggish and would randomly reboot while recording from OTA. When buffering SAT tv it would count the buffered time smoothly evey second, buffering time for OTA was updated every 2-3 seconds. Support took it as a software bug and reported it DISH engineering. Sorry, I dont have the SW versions my 722 was running handy.

The next day the field service tech was out to repoint my 61.5 to 129. This was to pick up the new HD content that I discovered here (thanks). They asked if I had any other troubles and I mentioned the buffering problems. After I easily demonstrated the problem, he swapped me to a new 722k.

I had already lost all my recording though the trouble shooting process with support the day before. The field techs dont carry the OTA tuner modules for 722ks, so I had to convince customer service to comp me one. Given the circumstance it wasnt too difficult.

I have been VERY happy with the HD absolute package and price for 2 years, but now I am also Im very happy with online tech support, field support, and customer service! I love the new iphone app and the new tv everywhere (sling tech) looks really cool too! 2 years and counting of TV bliss.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like a good news story... good to hear that!

Since OTA is still MPEG2, it does take more hard drive space on average than the SAT channels in HD... so that might explain some of the slower-to-update issues you noted with your 722... but I never had any buffering or recording problems, so it is probably a good thing you swapped/upgraded to a different receiver because it might very well have been an OTA tuner going bad OR worse a hard drive/DVR developing problem on your old receiver.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

Did the new VIP722k w/ OTA module solve your problem?

#4 OFFLINE   morrisdl

morrisdl

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

YUPPER! Got the OTA module in the mail today and it works great! Better reception than my old 722. I did a scan just before 722 was disconnected and again today and the 722k found 2 more channels. Signal strength is up across all 8 channels. I tried buffering OTA on TV1 and TV2 simultaneously and no problems. Its nice to have the 4th tuner. Im really looking forward to the TV everywhere stuff now.

BTW - the box for the 722k said 500 hours capacity, but mine only came up 350 (like the 722). Space have never been a problem for me, or I might see about an external disk.

#5 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:05 AM

That's interesting. I had been considering upgrading my VIP211/411 receiver to 211k with OTA but did not because most people have told me that the 211k OTA module was less sensitive than the built in tuner in the older VIP211. I may reconsider and go for an upgrade.

#6 OFFLINE   morrisdl

morrisdl

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

bumping to increase my post count...

#7 OFFLINE   morrisdl

morrisdl

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

...in order to URL reference this problem in the general forum.

#8 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

That's interesting. I had been considering upgrading my VIP211/411 receiver to 211k with OTA but did not because most people have told me that the 211k OTA module was less sensitive than the built in tuner in the older VIP211. I may reconsider and go for an upgrade.

We have two 211Ks for about a year now and an original 722 that we've had going on 2-1/2 years, never an issue with any of them. All I can say is "good riddence" to the 222, it was a constant vexation.

I've added the external HDD option to both 722ks which is a nice option just for the expanded guide info, plus DVR'ing.

I've had no problems with OTA sensitivity, tho I did notice that the 722 reports slightly lower readings, but still no problem w/OTA reception. I keep a "laptop cooler" under the 722, which I had to replace recently (the cooler, not the 722). This is highly recommended as a way to keep your 722 comfortable and the HDD happy. Nice too that that 722 has a handy USB jack on the back where you can plug in your laptop cooler.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...