Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SF KRON in talks with NBC

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

Looks like KRON has reached out to their old partner NBC to help them salvage things. According to reports KRON would enter a shared services agreement with NBC and probably move to the NBC11 studios in SJ. This could be quite interesting being both KRON and NBC11 are the two stations that have almost no newsrooms left. Both have resorted to using "VJs" and grounded their helicopters. Last year there were rumors that ABC/KGO might enter into an agreement with KRON to produce their newscasts, but never happened.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

That means KRON could air NBC programs in case whenever KNTV is unable to do so as in a live news coverage. Newscasts for KRON would be produced by KNTV.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:05 AM

This is, of course, the ultimate irony.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Looks like KRON has reached out to their old partner NBC to help them salvage things. According to reports KRON would enter a shared services agreement with NBC and probably move to the NBC11 studios in SJ. This could be quite interesting being both KRON and NBC11 are the two stations that have almost no newsrooms left. Both have resorted to using "VJs" and grounded their helicopters. Last year there were rumors that ABC/KGO might enter into an agreement with KRON to produce their newscasts, but never happened.

Now that the Young brother made a mess of KRON they're have their hands out trying to strike a deal. I hope the station becomes NBC once again.. As for Young Broadcasting I hope it goes bye bye.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

Reports have it KRON has stopped paying some of their "personal service" contracts to big name anchors (which they really only have 2 big names left). They are also in trouble form the unions becuase they have been using INTERNS to do some on air WX reports. Talk about a low budget large market station..sad how far things have fallen for a while in the mid 90's KRON owned the market.

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Reports have it KRON has stopped paying some of their "personal service" contracts to big name anchors (which they really only have 2 big names left). They are also in trouble form the unions becuase they have been using INTERNS to do some on air WX reports. Talk about a low budget large market station..sad how far things have fallen for a while in the mid 90's KRON owned the market.

And if the deal falls through Young says they'll the studios & move to a cheaper part of town. Danger lurks for the staff.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#7 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

As a former San Jose resident, I liked it better when KRON was formerly an NBC affiliate and KNTV was with ABC (overlapping with KGO in Santa Clara County and also serving the Salinas-Monterey market), because we had a more San Jose and South Bay oriented newscast instead of yet another one centering on San Francisco.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

As a former San Jose resident, I liked it better when KRON was formerly an NBC affiliate and KNTV was with ABC (overlapping with KGO in Santa Clara County and also serving the Salinas-Monterey market), because we had a more San Jose and South Bay oriented newscast instead of yet another one centering on San Francisco.

Everyone liked it better that way except perhaps KGO which has become the de facto ABC channel for two DMAs.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Everyone liked it better that way except perhaps KGO which has become the de facto ABC channel for two DMAs.

They ticked off lots of people who lived in Solano, Napa in the north bay when they couldn't get NBC OTA. KNTV'S transmitters was south of San Jose. In the 60's it didn't come clear in here even with a rotator. Now Monterey- Salinas doesn't have ABC at all, I guess.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#10 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Interesting... so with the reduced KNTV newsroom, are KNTV's weathercasts being remotely hosted by Fritz & Pablo in LA like they are here in San Diego?

Of note, it seems KNTV's sportscaster did pretty much all the local news reporting for the Vancouver games in LA and San Diego
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

This is, of course, the ultimate irony.:rolleyes:

Any news of a deal? Or did they messed that up? In the 90's Young Broadcasting bought KHJ in LA and let that flounder for years, until CBS bought it.. Maybe it was KCAL.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Any news of a deal? Or did they messed that up? In the 90's Young Broadcasting bought KHJ in LA and let that flounder for years, until CBS bought it.. Maybe it was KCAL.

No. The last thing I read on the station was this somewhat amusing article on SF Weekly Numerologist No Match for KRON-TV's Rotten Numbers which noted:

Well, there are numbers and there are numbers. There's the messy bankruptcy KRON's parent company, Young Broadcasting, declared last year. There's the $823 million Young paid for KRON in 1999 -- and the station's current estimated value of $25 to $50 million, as revealed in recently filed bankruptcy documents.

Things like this shouldn't make me smile, but they do.

My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

http://www.broadcast...ny_Young_er.php

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#14 OFFLINE   JackBauer112

JackBauer112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Interesting... so with the reduced KNTV newsroom, are KNTV's weathercasts being remotely hosted by Fritz & Pablo in LA like they are here in San Diego?

Of note, it seems KNTV's sportscaster did pretty much all the local news reporting for the Vancouver games in LA and San Diego

I think that's why when KRON lost NBC in 2001, it was sad to see that Solano/Napa counties particularly Vallejo, Benecia and Calistoga were screwed out of NBC although KCRA was on cable in these areas, Fairfield/Vacaville/Rio Vista had KRON too, but not KNTV, so the primary NBC station for the area was considered to be KCRA.

#15 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

I think that's why when KRON lost NBC in 2001, it was sad to see that Solano/Napa counties particularly Vallejo, Benecia and Calistoga were screwed out of NBC although KCRA was on cable in these areas, Fairfield/Vacaville/Rio Vista had KRON too, but not KNTV, so the primary NBC station for the area was considered to be KCRA.

Fairfield/Vacaville/Rio Vista are in the SF market or the Sacramento market?

#16 OFFLINE   JackBauer112

JackBauer112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

Fairfield/Vacaville/Rio Vista are in the SF market or the Sacramento market?

Cordelia/Fairfield/Suisun City/Vacaville/Rio Vista are in the Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto Market because of it's proximity to the State Capitol as it's considered Solano County East. Vallejo and Benecia are in the SF Bay Area Market because it's in the Western part of Solano County. That's why in Fairfield, Vacaville and Rio Vista, KCRA is considered to be the Default NBC station since KNTV in San Jose, does not have history in the eastern Solano County area. It would be blacked out by KCRA(p) during network promgramming due to non carriage or history of being in East Solano County.

Edited by JackBauer112, 17 August 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Cordelia/Fairfield/Suisun City/Vacaville/Rio Vista are in the Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto Market because of it's proximity to the State Capitol as it's considered Solano County East. Vallejo and Benecia are in the SF Bay Area Market because it's in the Western part of Solano County.

Those stations in the Sacramento market will be unlikely to receive KNTV, since they already have a local NBC affiliate. The cable companies probably had grandfathered permission to carry KRON. So those viewers in Cordelia/Fairfield/Suisun City/Vacaville/Rio Vista had two NBC stations until KRON dropped its NBC affiliation. I assume that Vallejo and Benecia cable systems carry KNTV. The only way that I would see that cable systems in Cordelia/Fairfield/Suisun City/Vacaville/Rio Vista would receive KNTV is if they were already carrying it and had grandfathered permission.

Down in Monterey County many cable companies carried for decades KSBW, the local NBC affiliate, and KRON. However, the Monterey County cable systems were also carrying KNTV. When KNTV became an NBC affiliate, viewers in Monterey County still had two NBC affiliates for a short time. However, most of the cable systems in Monterey County ultimately dropped KNTV, as well as KRON and KPIX. Fortunately, there are still a few cable systems down in Monterey County that carry KRON, KPIX, and KBCW. Almost all the cable systems down there carry KGO and KQED and KTVU.

#18 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

Seeing this pop back up not much has changed at KRON, I guess the NBC/KRON shared services talk has been tabled for a while. After Young emerged from BK last month rumors have it they paid $500 to each employee that stayed with them through everything. I know KNTV has been sending NBC programing to KRON when they have Giants games that conflict. I can't say I watch either newscast as both seem to be quite lonely with not many people left. At one point there was also a rumor that KGO was looking at producing the KRON newscasts but I think that has been placed on hold as KGO is working on too many other projects right now lead by Brian Copeland's new 3pm show and a 4pm newscast to replace Oprah hosted by Larry Beil.

#19 OFFLINE   JackBauer112

JackBauer112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Those stations in the Sacramento market will be unlikely to receive KNTV, since they already have a local NBC affiliate. The cable companies probably had grandfathered permission to carry KRON. So those viewers in Cordelia/Fairfield/Suisun City/Vacaville/Rio Vista had two NBC stations until KRON dropped its NBC affiliation. I assume that Vallejo and Benecia cable systems carry KNTV. The only way that I would see that cable systems in Cordelia/Fairfield/Suisun City/Vacaville/Rio Vista would receive KNTV is if they were already carrying it and had grandfathered permission.

Down in Monterey County many cable companies carried for decades KSBW, the local NBC affiliate, and KRON. However, the Monterey County cable systems were also carrying KNTV. When KNTV became an NBC affiliate, viewers in Monterey County still had two NBC affiliates for a short time. However, most of the cable systems in Monterey County ultimately dropped KNTV, as well as KRON and KPIX. Fortunately, there are still a few cable systems down in Monterey County that carry KRON, KPIX, and KBCW. Almost all the cable systems down there carry KGO and KQED and KTVU.

Ironically that Hearst did not want cable companies to carry KNTV because in Sacramento's case, it would infringe on KCRA(p)-TV's rights as if they were to air KNTV on cable, KCRA(p) would blackout NBC programming due to it being far away from San Jose. So in any event, they would never carry KNTV. In Salinas/Monterey, KNTV was their primarily ABC affiliation until 2000 when it was dropped and KGO added a cable-only affiliate to Salinas/Monterey SyndExing out programs that conflict with KSBW, KION, KCBA and MNTV LP station KOTR.

Hearst (Argyle until 2009) owns KSBW, KCRA(p) and sister station KQCA. KSBW was first to be picked up by Hearst in August 1998 in a trade with sister stations WPTZ 5 NBC Plattsburgh, NY and semi-satellite station WNNE Channel 31 NBC in Burlington, VT with WDTN Dayton and WNAC's license from Smith Media LLC/Sunrise Television (now LIN TV) and 5 months later, Kelly Broadcasting went out of the TV business and owned KCRA before it became KCRA(p), KQCA, and KCPQ 13 FOX in Seattle (KCPQ was then sold to current owner Tribune in 1998) while KCRA and KQCA were sold to Hearst (Argyle pre-2009) and are now sharing news resources with each other.

#20 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

Ironically that Hearst did not want cable companies to carry KNTV because in Sacramento's case, it would infringe on KCRA(p)-TV's rights as if they were to air KNTV on cable, KCRA(p) would blackout NBC programming due to it being far away from San Jose. So in any event, they would never carry KNTV. In Salinas/Monterey, KNTV was their primarily ABC affiliation until 2000 when it was dropped and KGO added a cable-only affiliate to Salinas/Monterey SyndExing out programs that conflict with KSBW, KION, KCBA and MNTV LP station KOTR.

Hearst (Argyle until 2009) owns KSBW, KCRA(p) and sister station KQCA. KSBW was first to be picked up by Hearst in August 1998 in a trade with sister stations WPTZ 5 NBC Plattsburgh, NY and semi-satellite station WNNE Channel 31 NBC in Burlington, VT with WDTN Dayton and WNAC's license from Smith Media LLC/Sunrise Television (now LIN TV) and 5 months later, Kelly Broadcasting went out of the TV business and owned KCRA before it became KCRA(p), KQCA, and KCPQ 13 FOX in Seattle (KCPQ was then sold to current owner Tribune in 1998) while KCRA and KQCA were sold to Hearst (Argyle pre-2009) and are now sharing news resources with each other.

Another interesting fact is that KSBY Channel 6 in San Luis Obispo was for many years a simulcast of KSBW Channel 8 from Salinas. There even was an FCC proceeding many years ago questioning whether the license for KSBY should be pulled because the station was nothing more than a simulcast. At that time, in response to the proceeding, KSBY began to air its own newscast. However, it remained a simulcast otherwise. I am not sure when the simulcasting ended, but I believe that the stations now have separate owners, although both remain NBC affiliates.

KSBW and KSBY used to call themselves the Gold Coast Television Network.

Edited by runner861, 23 August 2010 - 10:03 PM.

spam firewall