Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP 211k with WD My Essential 1TB Hard Drive Not Working.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aber179

aber179

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:30 AM

Hello,

Can someone help? I have hooked up the hard drive to my vip 211k, the box detects it, then I get message 499 - "to activate DVR call...." I have called and activated the feature, yet the DVR fundtion doesnt work. I still got the message 499. I called back, they asked me to wait 48 - 72 hours. Time passed and nothing happened. I called back again, they had me read off the reciever id and smart card id, CSR stated the feature was activated, and to wait another 48 - 72 hours.

I called once again, and I got the same story. Dish has no clue why it isnt working, and no one seems to want to help.

Has anyone else had the same peoblem? If so, what was the fix? Any Ideas? Any one?

Thank you everyone in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JAYHAWKER2

JAYHAWKER2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:25 AM

Do you have a VIP dvr, 722,622 612, as well as the 211K? I have read that many of the CSR's don't know about the DVR conversion for the 211k and when you call to have it turned on they end up turning on the external hard drive function of the dvr. If you do have a dvr, try plugging the hard drive into it. If it functions then that is what has happened and you'll need to call back and get them to fix it. I got lucky and the csr I talked to knew about the conversion and I had my 211k running as a dvr in about 5 minutes. I have fewer problems with it than the 612 I have in the other room

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:28 AM

I had the same thing happen with my 722 and my 211k. They activated the wrong receiver.

Call them up, make sure it's on the 211, and what's more MAKE SURE THEY REMOVE THE CHARGE FOR YOUR 722. Took me a month to find that one.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   aber179

aber179

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

I called and spoke with tech support. They stated that the feature is added on the right box......They gave me another 48-72 hours.....this is getting really frustrating.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

The CSR fed you a line. New authorizations should show up within a few minutes. Call them back and have them tell you what got authorized. It should be DVR Conversion; EHD Archival is for the DVR models.
http://www.dishuser.org/byodvr.php
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

The CSR fed you a line. New authorizations should show up within a few minutes. Call them back and have them tell you what got authorized. It should be DVR Conversion; EHD Archival is for the DVR models.
http://www.dishuser.org/byodvr.php

Boba is correct, Should only take about 1-2 minutes from when the signal is sent. make sure they added the EHD DVR Conversion NOT the Archival. They would only see the archival on the account avaliable to add if there is also a 612/622/722 on the acct.
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

Are you sure the drive isn't in sleep mode? Another person on this forum said you cannot use a drive that goes into sleep mode with the 211K. I called Western Digital, and the "My Essentials" drive has no way of turning this off. You have to use the next drive up, the "My Book" drive, connect it to a computer with the supplied SmartUtility software, and turn the sleep mode off.

Michael

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

There was a way to check if got the authorization - goto Counters ans see if HouseHoldKey value is populated.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...