Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Standard Directv Receivers (D12) And Vonage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eldonde

eldonde

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hello,

I recently got vonage and noticed that my D12 receivers are unable to successfully connect with Directv. In the calls log I see that the receiver is indeed making the daily calls to 2 toll free numbers, however when I called DTV tech support they are saying that the calls arn't succesful. They walked my throught the process of adding *99 Prefix in the receivers but nothing seems to change.

I contacted vonage which ran tests to diagnos call quality and other stuff but no luck. The techs at vonage even have me disable call waiting but to no avail.

I did a thorough research online and saw many posts with different sol.utions but all those seems to be directed at tivos/dvrs. I tried them however with no luck.

Can anyone help?

PS I tried several variations of the dial out prfixes which includes:

..*99
,*99,

and many others were tried.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

I had endless trouble with Vonage and my DirecTv receivers. It is a known issue for Vonage. If you do a serch at the Vonage site for TiVo you will find a bunch of info about how to make the internal modem work. None of it worked for me. In the end I switched to my cable company for phone service, it works much better. The other option is copper lines.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Generally, DirecTV's modems work pretty well on Vonage, as they connect at a fairly low speed that is more forgiving with the types of problems that are typical with VOIP service. The TiVos required (or at least attempted) a higher speed connection when calling the TiVo servers, and almost never worked on Vonage or other VOIP services.

But if you're in a location or with an ISP that causes Vonage not to work well with modems, then there usually isn't a lot you can do to fix it. :(

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

Put at least 4 pauses in front of the number you are trying to dial. That fixed it for me. When I pick up the phone, for some reason, Vonage stutters the dial tone about 2 seconds before giving me a solid dial tone. If I try to dial the phone during that time, it misdials, so Im assuming thats what the D* box does too. Hope that helps.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

When I pick up the phone, for some reason, Vonage stutters the dial tone about 2 seconds before giving me a solid dial tone.

The "stuttered dial tone" means you have voice mails waiting, so if you clear out your Vonage voice mail box, your dial tone will go back to normal. The same thing is true with many phone providers.

But you are exactly right that if you are on a system that uses the stuttered dial tone as a voice mail indicator, you'll want some extra pauses in your dialing string so that the modem waits for a normal dial tone before attempting to make the call.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Thanks, learn something new every day. Guess thats why my phone says "New Voicemail" on the display too huh? :)

#7 OFFLINE   eldonde

eldonde

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will try and post my results.

#8 OFFLINE   eldonde

eldonde

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I tried the pauses and removed all the voicemails, but no luck. any ideas.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

I tried the pauses and removed all the voicemails, but no luck. any ideas.

No - it's pretty much a situation where if it works you're lucky and if it doesn't there isn't much you can do about it.

Voice Over IP (VOIP) phone service is inherently incompatible with analog modem functions (including fax, alarm systems, and modems in set top boxes). Some VOIP service (and equipment) is better than others, and some VOIP providers have fax capable or enabled service (at extra cost) that helps. But for the most part you're pretty much out of luck.

With the D12, the primary thing the phone line gives you is the ability to order PPV via the remote. You can order PPV on-line as a work-around/solution to that.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

With the D12, the primary thing the phone line gives you is the ability to order PPV via the remote. You can order PPV on-line as a work-around/solution to that.

Also, if you happen to have your D12 connected to the Internet, you do not need the phone line connected for ordering PPV via the remote.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

I don't think the D12 has ethernet / network capability.

#12 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

I didn't think it did either. I have been pretty lucky with mine. I have an R15 and it is able to dial out and get caller ID with Vonage.

I wonder if his Internet speeds would have anything to do with the problem?

#13 OFFLINE   suplkk

suplkk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Do we know which D12 has this problem?

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Do we know which D12 has this problem?

Pretty much any D12 (-100, -200, etc., not sure all which manufacturers produce the D12 receivers). At any rate, any DirecTV receiver or DVR would have the issue with VOIP (SD or HD, receiver or DVR) as they all use analog modems for telephone connections.

As far as lacking ethernet, again any D12-xxx (or any other SD unit D11, D12, R15, R16) none of the SD series products has ethernet capability.

#15 OFFLINE   fwlogue

fwlogue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

What I had setup in the past to work was dial prefix of *99 and select a phone number in New York area code 212. The number I used to use to dial into was 212-271-7103 not sure if it is still active or not. It would sometimes take a couple of attempts but was always able to connect every night.
Fred

AU9 > WB68 and SWM5 > 3 - HR20-700, 2 - R15, 1 - H20-600

#16 OFFLINE   eldonde

eldonde

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

I have a D12-100 and no it does not include an ethernet port. Also there is a hidden menu that enables me to enter a dial prefix but i did not find anywhere that allow me to enter or change the actual dialout number.
Concerning internet speeds I did a test and all diagnostics passed however I did an actaul bandwidth test and my results are Down is 245 and up is 148 kbps.

As of this posting my 6 D12 boxes are still dialing 2 diffrent numbers 4 times per night.

No Luck

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

The idea of dialing a local number (as noted by fwlogue) was applicable to Tivo, as they had local number set up around the country, and picking the local number that was either closest to you, or closest to wherever your VOIP phone service actually interconnected with the real phone system, often times would result in good enough quality of service to make the analog modem call work.

In the case of (non Tivo) DirecTV, the receivers do not call local numbers. They all call into a toll free number at DirecTV. As a result, you can't use the local number trick for them.

If you are unable to get your receivers to dial in, my suggestion would be to disconnect the phone lines from them. In fact, one thing you might try is to disconnect the lines from all but one receiver for a day or two, and see if it succeeds. If it does, then disconnect it and connect another, etc. But if none connect regardless, then just unplug the phone lines and don't worry about them. Order PPV on-line.

#18 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

I've heard that if you order PPV on-line, it will be available on all receivers. If you order PPV from a receiver, then the movie is only available on that receiver. I have not ever ordered PPV so I cannot confirm this.

Anyone else?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

Maybe the OP's location may be playing a part in all this. Assuming the OP is really in Belize.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#20 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

I've heard that if you order PPV on-line, it will be available on all receivers. If you order PPV from a receiver, then the movie is only available on that receiver. I have not ever ordered PPV so I cannot confirm this.

Anyone else?

That's correct. If you order on-line, it is available on all receivers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall