Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anniversary ...Gift?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 938 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Got a card from DTV today. My anniversary gift for being a loyal customer..."GameLounge" for 3 months?! I don't mean to sound ungreatful but,"GameLounge". If I call do you think they might exchange this for something else since we are not gamers here.

:(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Some others have had success calling Directv and asking for a different anniversary gift. When I called I wasn't successful and didn't bother to try and call back again with a different CSR.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Got sports pack, wasn't gonna use it, was denied a change, and made a pariah here by some for doing so.
:pinkie:

#4 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Got sports pack, wasn't gonna use it, was denied a change, and made a pariah here by some for doing so.

I too got sports pack and wasn't planning to use it. But I found out that my college alma mater was playing basketball that night on an eastern RSN and watched the game.

Gift runs through April 15, so I can see more games up until March Madness.

I'd gripe about Game Lounge, too!
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#5 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 938 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

I called, I griped, they would not change. Maybe I'll try later.

#6 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Game lounge sounds insulting. See if you can get a movie channel for a few months or something.

#7 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,145 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

ten dollars off for 6 months....no complaints.

#8 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

I got game lounge also.

WORST GIFT EVER and my wife once got a buy one get one free chick-fil-a coupon for her Christmas bonus. (OK I am kidding about the bonus part, they didn't call it that but she didn't get a bonus that year and they handed out the coupons around Christmas time so we joke that it was her bonus.)

Anyway I would be happy to trade this "POS" free game lounge for a buy one get one free chick-fil-a coupon.

Does anyway actually pay DirectTV for the game lounge? I wonder what their subscriber counts are for this. It can't be more than 10,000 if that.

#9 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Got a card from DTV today. My anniversary gift for being a loyal customer..."GameLounge" for 3 months?! I don't mean to sound ungreatful but,"GameLounge". If I call do you think they might exchange this for something else since we are not gamers here.

:(

I got it as well, very disappointed, hearing what others got as gifts in other threads.

I just ignored it and moved on...
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#10 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 938 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

I got it as well, very disappointed, hearing what others got as gifts in other threads.

I just ignored it and moved on...

I will be moving on, but that Chik fil'a thing has made me hungry now. :lol::lol:

#11 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

2nd anniversary gift that I received (after about 14 years with D*) was 3 months of free Showtime...found out about it a month into it....watched 1 show.

That said...the first anniversary gift I received (after about 13 years with D*) was a free HD DVR, install, and a 2 year commitment. That was cool.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Game Lounge is lame. I tried it once or twice just for the hell of it and was fed up with its latency, among other things. Plus, every time I wanted a specific game, like now during my free gift period, it wasn't available.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#13 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

I got $5 off for one month, one card in the mail that let me know about it, and two "reminder" cards reminding me they gave me $5 off in that month. My average monthly bill is about $300 so $5 off was hardly noticeable and unnecessary.

If they'd want to show their thanks to me, I suggest more Beyonce commercials. Hubba Hubba!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

#14 OFFLINE   wenglish98027

wenglish98027

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

After 11 years with DirecTV they gave me 3 months of Cinemax (maybe Showtime, I forget). Not exactly exciting, but better than Game Lounge I guess.

What I'd really like now that I've been with them 12+ years is for them to put a satellite in some other part of the sky ;-)

#15 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

We got 3 free months of Showtime last year. I think my anniversary is March. Be curious what we get. Game lounge would be a waste here as well, considering we have Wii, Xbox360 and computers to play games on.

I DO like that they offer discounts on equipment for good customers, but I wish they'd do that with other things as well.

#16 OFFLINE   hankb11

hankb11

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

I got Game Lounge also. 10 years with D*.

#17 OFFLINE   mark h

mark h

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

Third anniversery in Jan. also received Sports Pack which I liked. Its good till beginning of Apr. so I can watch some preseason games. But then I called to ask for CSNBA HD fulltime and she said she would pass it on but then she said she see's that I have been a LOYAL subscriber for three years and gave Showtime for three months.

mark

#18 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Unfortunately the gifts are semi-random. A computer looks at certain aspects of your account, and decides what the gift should be. Throw in some marketing voodoo, and whatever comes out comes out. The "gifts" are not as much "gifts" as they are promo/marketing offers.

I'm sorry that you got sent Game Lounge. It's really never in any CSR's hands what you get.
FWIW (which is literally, virtually, nothing), I know someone who likes Game Lounge... She's subscribed to it, I guess her and her kids use it all the time. That's about all I know.

If you haven't used it in a while, and you're in good standing, DirecTV usually gives away Showtime free for 3 months (I dont know if they still do) once a year.

#19 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

11+ years with DirecTV, got Game Lounge "free" for three months as a "special gift." Got two postcards to promote it and then an email, telling me how great they are to give me this special treat. Would never even consider looking at channel. SO don't care!

#20 OFFLINE   hdthebest

hdthebest

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

WOW I am very jealous....I cant wait for my anniversary which it looks to be in 7 years woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

spam firewall