Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

closed caption

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   traviszac

traviszac

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

being hard of hearing it is frustrating that channel 101 does not caption all their programs. Friday Night Lights is captioned but not Eyes, Underbelly and now Brotherhood. does anyone know if this will change?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

Since some of the shows are CC'd, it probably has nothing at all to do with CH101, but much more to do with the show itself...not all these shows they are showing are new...

#3 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Even if they're old shows, as far as I know, they're supposed to be captioned when they air on Channel 101 (it's Federal law). Best place to start an inquiry would probably be via this contact info, which appears at the bottom of DirecTV bills: Address formal inquiries to C. Schrum, Sr. Manager; Phone: 310-964-1010; Fax: 310-964-3703; email: ClosedCaptions@directv.com; or Mail: Closed Captions, P.O. Box 1076, El Segundo, CA 90245-1076
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,830 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

The laws say that content that is captioned must be passed captioned.

Content that is recently and commercially produced must be captioned.

If the content isn't recent, captioning is recommended but not required.

I have no idea what "recent" means and how these conditions might apply to content produced initially for viewing outside of the US.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

Even if they're old shows, as far as I know, they're supposed to be captioned when they air on Channel 101 (it's Federal law). Best place to start an inquiry would probably be via this contact info, which appears at the bottom of DirecTV bills: Address formal inquiries to C. Schrum, Sr. Manager; Phone: 310-964-1010; Fax: 310-964-3703; email: ClosedCaptions@directv.com; or Mail: Closed Captions, P.O. Box 1076, El Segundo, CA 90245-1076

SO you are saying that to air an old show that never had CC, a station would have to go through the expense of adding CC to it b4 they could broadcast it? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I actually doubt that is even accurate. Of course if it is Federal Law that would completely explain it making absolutely no sense at all.

#6 OFFLINE   sonofjay

sonofjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

Speaking of closed captioning, not to be off-topic but is anyone else seeing CC work on live programing but not when the same program viewed from a previously recorded time from the DVR?

I have seen similar CC missing from The101 but I am trying to determine if it is just an DVR thing or if it is The101 being sporadic.
NBC - The Network that prevents you from watching the Olympics.

#7 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

SO you are saying that to air an old show that never had CC, a station would have to go through the expense of adding CC to it b4 they could broadcast it? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I actually doubt that is even accurate. Of course if it is Federal Law that would completely explain it making absolutely no sense at all.

Perhaps you would think it made sense if you were deaf or hearing-impaired (or knew someone who was).

Here's the FCC fact sheet on the issue -- basically, if it first aired after January 1, 1998, it has to be captioned. If it first aired before that, 75% of it needs to be captioned -- but most networks actually do exceed that target for pre-1998 programming. (Most syndicators and other distributors have had all of their pre-1998 programming captioned, because it works as a selling point to the networks that are buying it.)

Also, captioning is not that expensive -- it's a very small fraction of the cost of a new show; for an old show, the cost of the captioning is probably less than the cost of dubbing copies of the tapes.

I worked as a closed captioner from 1997 to 2005, so I still have an interest in it.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...