Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R22 - "upgrade" to HD? Is this even possible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kagaku

kagaku

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

I just purchased a new TV (Samsung UN55B8000) and plan to upgrade my DirecTV service to HD to take advantage of it. I also have a smaller 24 inch LCD in my bedroom currently hooked up to my old R10 - I was planning to just keep the R10 (I love my Tivo!) and switch the living room box over to an HR22, however the customer service rep I spoke to mentioned I could save some money by simply purchasing an HD receiver (not the HD DVR). He says by doing this, DirecTV will simply "upgrade" my existing R22 into an HD capable receiver.

To me, this sounds pretty bogus; I cannot find anything to back this claim up. Has anyone had this done to their receiver before? Based on what I've read through this forum, the R22 is essentially an HR22 with HD disabled, so I guess it's not a far stretch. The HR22 and R22 even look identical as far as I can tell.

Anyone have an answer for this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

It's true...when HD is added to your account, it unlocks the R22 to do HD.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

Please refer to the following:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172750
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=169704
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=165141
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

You MUST have an HRXX unit FIRST before HD can be added. Then the R22 will be HD enabled. The R22 alone CANNOT be HD (w/ no HRXX) HD-DVR.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

You MUST have an HRXX unit FIRST before HD can be added. Then the R22 will be HD enabled. The R22 alone CANNOT be HD (w/ no HRXX) HD-DVR.

No, you must have an H2x or an HR2x (not specifically an HR2x). As soon as you have a valid HD receiver or DVR on your account with HD active, the R22 will become HD enabled.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

No, you must have an H2x or an HR2x (not specifically an HR2x). As soon as you have a valid HD receiver or DVR on your account with HD active, the R22 will become HD enabled.

This is absolutely correct!

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

Yep, my R22, when in the Info & Test section of the menu reads:

Receiver: R22 (with HD)/200
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Don't forget that you will need BBC's for the R22 (unless you have a SWM installation).

So the nutshell to enable HD on the R22.

1. You need ANOTHER HD receiver (H2x or HR2x) with HD Access on the account. If you do have one you will need to order it. (If you never had HD DIRECTV is going to need to replace your dish as well).
2. Unless you have a SWM installation (and they are never installed on a SD-only installation) you will also need to contact DIRECTV so they can send 2 BBC's.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Since I have an R22 and it's connected to an HDTV but I don't have HD from DirecTV, I investigated all the options. And yes, DirecTV has decided NOT to let customers with JUST an R22 have HD enabled on their account.

Probably the main reason for this is that if the R22 breaks down it will be replaced with an R15 or an R16 and bye-bye HD.

However, while it is true that ordering an HD receiver (not DVR) will enable HD on the R22, I was told that I could upgrade to HD AND get a new HR2x for only $50. Now, this offer may not apply to every customer, but I would get a quote on an HD DVR before ordering a non-DVR HD receiver that you really don't want.

PS: I still haven't upgraded to DirecTV HD....$10 a month is a lot of money not to mention the new 2 year commitment. Maybe when the new DirecTiVo comes out? ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall