Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Winter Olympics on MSNBC in HD not on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

I am normally a very patient person, but I really had it with DirecTV's hype, deceiptions and under-delivery of real HD content! (how about spending less or no money on all those celebrity DIRECTV TV commercials?)

Example: Today alone are 2 men;s Hockey games on MSNBC-HD (Belarus vs Sweden and Finland vs Germany) and I have to suffer watching them on DIRECTV in UGLY, UGLY, UGLY SDTV.

And don't even get me started about the VersusHD issue. If you are a Hockey fan and subscribe to DirecTV you are SOL. It really sucks. I can't stand it anymore.

Hockey in SD is horrific. Every single second of hockey in SD is painful to watch. It's so bad that I watch it on my 26" HDTV set, instead on one of my big screen's.

And the more DIRECTV is blatantly ignoring it's loyal high-bill paying customers (like me) the more the anger is rising in me. My monthly DIRECTV bill is around $180 plus add HD Sunday ticket costs to the mix.

MSBNC-HD should be turned on immediately on DIRECTV. Make it NOW!. Turn off one of your damn HD PPV channels to make it happen.

End of rant.

Edited by MrSmartyA, 20 February 2010 - 11:03 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

Feel better?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

No, problem is still unresolved.

#4 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

Well, the other 12 of us certainly feel for you, but hockey fans just are not a big enough demographic for D* to give much of a damn.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

The channel won't likely be here before the Olympics ends, so not much can be done.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

There's alot more than 12.

Sunday night there will be thousands, hundreds of thousands even, Canada vs USA is on MSNBC. Yes, many Americans still like hockey.

#7 OFFLINE   beachmonkey

beachmonkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

I am normally a very patient person, but I really had it with DirecTV's hype, deceiptions and under-delivery of real HD content! (how about spending less or no money on all those celebrity DIRECTV TV commericials?)

Example: Today alone are 2 men's Hockey games on MSNBC-HD (Belarus vs Sweden and Finland vs Germany) and I have to suffer watching them on DIRECTV in UGLY, UGLY, UGLY SDTV.

And don't even get me started about the VersusHD issue. If you are a Hockey fan and subscribe to DirecTV you are SOL. It really sucks. I can't stand it anymore.

Hockey is SD is horrific. Every single second of hockey in HD is painful to watch. It's so bad that I watch it on my 26" HDTV set, instead on one of my big screen's.

And the more DIRECTV is blatantly ignoring it's loyal high-bill paying customers (like me) the more the anger is rising in me. My monthly DIRECTV bill is around $180 plus add HD Sunday ticket costs to the mix.

MSBNC-HD should be turned on immidiatley on DIRECTV. Make it NOW!. Turn off one of your damn HD PPV channels to make it happen.

End of rant.

If you have seen my posts starting about a week before the Olympics, you will see I have been quite vocal on this issue. More than anything, we have caught DirecTV lying through their teeth. Several of us here have been yapping our displeasure with the problem.

#8 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:33 PM

Note to Mods:

We already have sufficient MSNBC not in HD threads for BeachMonkey to call DirecTV liars in.. do we need another?
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#9 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

If you have seen my posts starting about a week before the Olympics, you will see I have been quite vocal on this issue. More than anything, we have caught DirecTV lying through their teeth. Several of us here have been yapping our displeasure with the problem.

Unfortunately not, I was trying to get as much work done for my small BIZ ahead of the Olympics as possible. But appreciate the effort.

Speaking of not enough hockey fans in the US, AFAIK the 2010 NHL Winter Classics game in Boston had some pretty good ratings on NBC!

Hockey is a popular sport in many regions and cities in the US, it's just that the NHL don't know how to run (going into the wrong markets: Phoenix, Tampa, Atlanta, etc... and leaving out traditional Canadian markets, or Cleveland, Milwaukee, Hartford or Seattle) and promote it (i.e. Versus having most of the broadcasting rights).

Off course DirecTV is lying and manipulating the public: "200 HD channel capacity". That new Satellite is not even operational.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

Off course DirecTV is lying and manipulating the public: "200 HD channel capacity". That new Satellite is not even operational.

Not even operational? :lol: It's currently under testing at 76 degrees. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=164555

#11 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Do you receive any channels from the new Satellite?

Do you work for DirecTV? You sound like an apologist.

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

I disprove your non operational claim & now I'm a Directv employee & apologist? Hilarious. Read that thread and follow some others around here & you'll learn a lot.

#13 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Question for you: Do you know anything about technology deployment? Whenever you do any kind of big upgrade in a business setting the first thing you need to do after you bring something online is make sure it works. Whenever a big business decides to upgrade its computers to the latest generation the first thing they do is get a few, set up a test environment, and they let the computer guys go nuts and make sure that everything they need to work still works, and works reliably.

In this case, the sat is operational. Just because it is operational does not mean it is ready for general use. Thats what the testing is for. Over the next few weeks that sat is going to be subjected to test after test that will test its operational quality to make sure that everything really is working and that it should continue to work. Would you rather they just launched it to its final position, started broadcasting channels, and then a few days, weeks, months later some of the transponders start acting wonky?

An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure. I want my new HD channels now, same as everyone else, but I dont want them to just fling them at us via an untested piece of hardware.

#14 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

Which will have a bigger draw Sunday? Hockey or Nascar.

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

Folks, let's be polite to each other. Please.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   kenmoo

kenmoo

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

I think every one is missing the big point in this discussion. Why are we talking about D12? The Olympics are a special event that takes place every 2 years. Why can't DirecTV use channel bandwidth that was used for NFL coverage to broadcast MSNBC in HD for 2 weeks? I'm sure they could work out a temporary contract for the transmission rights. I'm not a big hockey fan but I do watch USA in Olympics hockey competition and I'm sure there's a lot more subs out there that feel the same way. I think DirecTV is blowing this big time. Is it all about PFV revenue?

#17 OFFLINE   tyrok3k

tyrok3k

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:21 AM

I think every one is missing the big point in this discussion. Why are we talking about D12? The Olympics are a special event that takes place every 2 years. Why can't DirecTV use channel bandwidth that was used for NFL coverage to broadcast MSNBC in HD for 2 weeks? I'm sure they could work out a temporary contract for the transmission rights. I'm not a big hockey fan but I do watch USA in Olympics hockey competition and I'm sure there's a lot more subs out there that feel the same way. I think DirecTV is blowing this big time. Is it all about PFV revenue?

I bet a temporary deal couldn't be made as NBCU was probably banking on the Olympics to get MSNBC HD added permanently to every cable provider in the country. Though I remember during the 2008 Olympics I had Time Warner and they added USAHD temporarily, so I could be wrong.

Edited by tyrok3k, 20 February 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

2/3 of super Sunday will be in SD. I honestly thought those days were behind us. There is no excuse for this DirectTV. You saw this coming & did nothing about it. I am very dissapointed.

#19 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

NBC (Comcast) is also to fault here. They knew exactly what position they were putting DirecTV in by putting Curling on CNBC instead of Hockey. Or maybe I have it wrong....maybe Curling is more popular than Hockey.

#20 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

It's sad that this is probably the only thread about this on the entire internet. And NO! I don't feel any better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...