Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Powerline Adapters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rabushka

Rabushka

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

This is a reply about powerline adapters for the thread "DirecTV is a bunch of crooks" I have powerline adapters connected to a pioneer Elite TV and via an Ethernet switch to two DVRs and an LG BD390 blue ray player. I download DOD and stream Netflix movies almost instantly. I do have a high speed internet connection and the adapters handle it without any problem. The adapters are not connected to the same circuit.

I think they are an excellent product. They are working just as well as if the components were hard wired.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

This is a reply about powerline adapters for the thread "DirecTV is a bunch of crooks" I have powerline adapters connected to a pioneer Elite TV and via an Ethernet switch to two DVRs and an LG BD390 blue ray player. I download DOD and stream Netflix movies almost instantly. I do have a high speed internet connection and the adapters handle it without any problem. The adapters are not connected to the same circuit.

I think they are an excellent product. They are working just as well as if the components were hard wired.

Yes, they are good for DOD, and sometimes streaming netflix, they are subject to problems with the quality of the power IE Spikes, fluctions, and etc. The better your powerlines, the better they work. They do not work good for MRV however, most of the time.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Powerline adapters are really hit and miss. I tried two variants in my recently built house, trying several different circuit combinations, and could never get a reliable connection. I switched to wireless N and it works great for everything, including MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   Rabushka

Rabushka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

I don't use MRV so I haven't been able to check them out in that regard. We do have a good utility in this neck of the woods so maybe that is why they work so well in my setup.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

Powerline adapters on their own are probably a good product, but their weakness is the AC lines they use.
This is what makes them "hit or miss".
They might work on two different circuits, but more than likely these two circuits are on the same leg from the transformer. This would mean they bridge the circuits at the power panel, where if they were on two different legs, they'd have to run all the way to the transformer and back.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Rabushka

Rabushka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

I understand what you are describing. Now that I think of it they are plugged into two of the original house outlets before we built the additions so they are most likely on the same leg of the utility transformer. Your info could be useful for other users.

#7 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

They do not work good for MRV however, most of the time.

I don't think that is a valid statement. I have been using powerline adapters for MRV with no issues. I don't think the bandwidth needed by MRV is anything special.

As others have already stated, it really depends on your power lines.

#8 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

I wold go with best connections first 1 Ethernet 2 wireless with a wireless bridge and last the powerline only if the first two is not a option.

If powerline first same circuit if possible.

#9 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Now that I think of it they are plugged into two of the original house outlets before we built the additions so they are most likely on the same leg of the utility transformer.

You are forgetting Murphy's law.:rolleyes: I think this falls under the 50-50-90 rule.;) If your odds are 50-50 then there is a 90% chance you won't get the outcome you want.:lol: Since powerline adapters are supposed to work best on the same circuit/leg and your odds are 50-50 being on the same leg- 90% of the time you won't be.:D

#10 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

The powerline adapters i use work great for me, I have my hdtv,oppo blu ray player, roku box and directv hooked up with no problems!

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Using the 85Mbps powerline adapters is a hit or miss, all depends on if they both connect to the same 'hot' circuit feed in the breaker box. Even then the smallest thing can cause them to not work. Example, plugging in a battery charger in the same room cause MRV to stop working, video/audio kept pausing all the time. I stongly recommend to just wait for DirecTV's DECA solution or go with hardwired network connections if MRV is the end game.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

I don't think that is a valid statement. I have been using powerline adapters for MRV with no issues. I don't think the bandwidth needed by MRV is anything special.

If you say that they are good for MRV, you are going to have everyone trying then, and then screaming, like the poster who recently tried them and then posted how Directv was a bunch of Crooks. As you said (and so did I) it depends on the quality of your powerlines. I would try one or two as part of a data network before I ever used them for MRV.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

If you say that they are good for MRV, you are going to have everyone trying then, and then screaming, like the poster who recently tried them and then posted how Directv was a bunch of Crooks. As you said (and so did I) it depends on the quality of your powerlines. I would try one or two as part of a data network before I ever used them for MRV.

"I think" it's best not to recommend them at this point, since they may or may not work well.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Before you go spreading the gossip that some of the other drama queens on this forum have you may want to go back and read my thread, since I'm the one that called them crooks.

I NEVER SAID I was using them for MRV. The "regulars" on this board said that, not me. I said it was irrelevant what I was using them for. The fact that D* jerked me around for over two weeks and bold faced lied to me about sending out return labels is why I called them crooks. Once I was shown where it stated no returns I dropped the subject. All D* had to do was tell me this over two weeks ago rather that lying to me and giving me the run around.

I won't vouch for the Powerline Homeplugs that D* uses one way or another but for some reason they didn't work for me. May work for others and in that case, congrats.

Got 3 of them if anybody wants them at a good price!!

#15 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

That poster appeared to have some reading comprehension (and perhaps some anger management issues as indicated by his severely defensive posturing) and therefore not typical of the tech savvy posters who usually take the time to properly test and assess things like this. I don't think everyone would try them withouf first knowing exactly what ther were doing or at least asking some questions here.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#16 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

run them through a circuit with gcfi involved and see the fun they can be.
directv never should have advocated these for anything.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

run them through a circuit with gcfi involved and see the fun they can be.
directv never should have advocated these for anything.

They should of at least provided a FAQ about all the things that will cause preformance issues with these things.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#18 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

As far as D*'s no return policy goes state and local laws usually overrule company policy.

#19 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

I agree with not recommending them for MRV, but was just correcting what was at least for me not an accurate statement.

MRV has worked as well for me on powerline as it works on my hardwired connections. That all said, it seems to be clear that DECA will be the only supported solution.

#20 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

My barber has a Sony XBR HDTV and said he only needed one powerline adapter to connect it to his Sony Blu Ray player and the internet since Sony XBR's already have a built in ethernet dock and internet connection.

I have the same HDTV set and have ordered a Sony Blu Ray player and one adapter. I assume this is correct.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Mike

Protected By... spam firewall...And...