Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3rd TV to ViP722K

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sjminflorida

sjminflorida

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

I had Dish installed yesterday, I have a few questions. TV1 in Living room w/HD - TV2 in Bdrm. I want to add a 3rd tv in another bdrm abutting living room, what is the best way, and any info about remote controlling this 3rd tv would be greatly appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

All you need to do is use a coax splitter from TV2 output to this other room.

For a remote - order another one from either Dish or one of several online / local retailers. Just set this second RF remote address to the same as the first RF remote.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Scooper is correct in what he says, but you do understand that under that scheme the two bedrooms will not be independent? They will always have to be watching the same thing.

If you want three TVs that are all able to select channels independently, you will have to order another receiver box.

keith

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Scooper is correct in what he says, but you do understand that under that scheme the two bedrooms will not be independent? They will always have to be watching the same thing.

If you want three TVs that are all able to select channels independently, you will have to order another receiver box.

keith

Exactly..

#5 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Also, if you decide to utilize the one rcvr with the splitter off of the TV2 output, if you go to the modulator setup, (Menu, 6,1,5) you can turn on the TV1 output and at that 3rd TV location, you can view either TV1 or TV2. You just have to turn the channel on your 3rd tv to whatever channel you chose for the TV1 output. (If you set TV1 modulator to channel 50, and TV2 is on channel 60, you only have to turn the tv in your 3rd room to either channel to view the TV1 or TV2 programming) The down side is, you won't be able to change the channels from the TV1 output with the TV2 remote. You'll still need to do that with the TV1 remote or from the front of the box. The only benefit of this is if you're not in the TV1/722 rcvr room,and someone is in your original TV2 location watching tv, at least you can be in the room with the 3rd TV watching the feed/programming from TV1. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

#6 OFFLINE   maximum

maximum

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

Even tho you can't change the TV1 channels it sounds like a good way to monitor what the kids are watching from another room.

#7 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

As long as you leave the DishPro 5.3 UHF remotes at the "A" position, you can set AUX as TV1.

I have four TVs, one HDMI and three RG6 off an amplifier and splitter. Three 5.3 UHF remotes are set up the same, with TV1 as AUX.

Don't believe everything you read. :cool:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#8 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

With a 6.3 or 6.4 UHF Pro remote, you can control the receiver's TV1 via UHF (Pro, not old UHF) to not only monitor, but change channels on TV1 output from another room. Both UHF Pro A or B range work fine to control TV1 (and don't have any effect on what you can control with Aux). A 5.3 remote is IR only, and doesn't have an A/B switch for the UHF Pro range to use.

If you get a 21.0 UHF Pro remote, it is easier to switch between controlling TV1 and TV2 via UHF - flip the key and change the remote address (but I don't have a 21.0 for specific info). You could easily use a 21.0 remote to control both TV1 and TV2 of more than one 722 and select 21 & 32 for TV1/TV2 of the 1st 722 and 41 & 52 for TV1/TV2 of a 2nd 722 on the same coax in the "3rd TV room".

#9 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

Nothing complicated.

#10 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

My bad.

CABill, you are right. The remote remotes are 6.3 UHF Pro while the local remote is 5.3.

But I was talking about being able to control both TV1 and TV2 with the same remote, with SAT being TV2 and AUX being TV1. Yes it does work.

Primary and secondary remote addresses are different, as are the TV1 and TV2 modulators. With the UHF remotes having AUX as TV1, I can watch and control both TV1 and TV2 from anywhere in the house.

#11 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

You can also program Aux on a 5.2, 5.3, or 5.4 IR to control a DISH receiver. But my 5.3 and 6.3 generate IR and "Old UHF" from Aux, not UHF Pro needed to control either TV1/TV2 of a 722 remotely. I can control the 508 in the Master from here in the office using Aux, but that is "Old UHF". If I get the 722 to a Sys Info screen, my TV1 line shows IR/UHF Pro A range but if I've programmed Aux with say 37#, I can't hit Record in Aux mode and change TV1 to use address 7 remotely. If I go to the 722 with that remote and hit Record, TV1 line does change to Address 7, but it is now exclusively IR instead of IR or UHF Pro. If you have IR Repeaters in use, it would be easy to control both TV1 and TV2. Maybe you program Aux with something other than 3 followed by the remote address? I'm sure you do control TV1 with Aux - I just don't know how to get there. I can control TV1 and TV2 with the same remote by switching between Sat and Aux, but for me that only works in "front of the 722" via IR. To control TV1 via UHF (Pro) from another room, I have to be in Sat mode with the switch under the key moved to the TV1 position (6.2 and 6.3 - don't have a 6.4 or 21.0).

#12 OFFLINE   tanside

tanside

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by bnborg Posted Image

"I have four TVs, one HDMI and three RG6 off an amplifier and splitter."

Would i need an amplifier if i added one extra SD TV to the RG6, so a total of 3 TV's, 1 HDMI, and 2 RG6's? or would the signal strength of the receiver alone be enough?

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Good question. I'd try it with just a splitter first, then move to the amp if necessary (considering splitters are cheaper than amps) . Even if you do need an amp - don't get more than you need - 10dB is about right in most cases. Overdriving with too much amp is almost as bad as not having enough signal.

#14 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

Yes, that's right scooper.

It depends on how elaborate your distribution system is, length of the runs, how many splitters and what kind, etc. Mine go all over the house.

If you end up needing an amplifier, make sure it amplifies UHF.

#15 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

I'd blow your mind with my distribution system :D ...

#16 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

I'd blow your mind with my distribution system :D ...

I don't know.

I pre-wired the "technical wiring" in my townhouse before the sheetrock was up. My wife and I strung 2-RG6, 2-cat5e, and an NMT conduit to four locations in most every room. Of course, I hooked up only the ones I needed, as I needed them.

#17 OFFLINE   tanside

tanside

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, it'll come in handy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...