Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP722K - L6.56 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

"Partial zoom" distorts. It does a 100% width expansion, but only about 50% height expansion.

"Full zoom" on letterbox shows does a 100% width expansion, and slightly more than 100% height expansion -- the left and right edges fit on screen, but the top and bottom go off the top and bottom.

What I want: Full zoom that does not make the top and bottom get lost. A partial zoom that correctly maintains the aspect ratio, losing some of the height on SD shows.

** What I want: "Automatic zoom", that does nothing on wide HD shows (already full widescreen TV size), full zoom on letterbox, and partial zoom on SD size shows. (That should probably be an option -- some people may want letterbox made bigger, and others left alone.)

NB: If I'm watching an HD channel in PIP mode, the receiver already adjusts the size/aspect ratio as needed when the picture changes from a wide show to a normal show. Adjusting for letterbox/tall SD doesn't seem to be much harder to me.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

When recording a program out of the buffer, you cannot record only a portion of the buffer.

Example: At 3:30, I attempted to record a section of a show from 2:40 to 3:00. I rewound to the 2:40 point, and tried to record.

But there is no way to only save that portion of the buffer.
Worse, when saved, it is tagged with the name of the 3:00 to 4:00 show.

I did try to adjust the end time. But instead of turning into a 20 minute recording, it wanted to become an 11 hour, 20 minute recording.

#43 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,061 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

L6.61 start rolling - wait for it.

#44 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

Still 6.58.

When you are looking at the history of timer events, you cannot click on one, and go to the "timer" for that event. You can for future timer events.

If something did not record because the disk filled up, it does not automatically reschedule for later (still marked as a repeat event).

#45 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

This may be inaccurate, but:

It looks like there is no way to restart the DVR software without a hard reset and fsck of the drive. In particular, the reset button does not attempt a clean shutdown, and there is no menu command for a clean shutdown.

#46 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Is there anything at all that you like about your DVR? Anything???
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#47 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

Still software 6.58

Tonight at 7 pm, two shows were supposed to record (single mode, not dual).
Dr. Who started at 7 pm. At 7:20, I stopped it -- it was a repeat.
The Universe then started recording at 7:20.

Both tuners were available.
Space on the hard drive was available.

Not sure what else to provide.

===
Yes, there are things I like about my DVR:
1. It doesn't decide at 4 am what will record, and what will be skipped.
2. It doesn't take 5 minutes to do a "scheduling" pass when I try to change what will record.
3. It can output to two rooms.
4. It can record two shows at once.
5. The TV guide information goes out about 9 days.
6. The TV guide information can be displayed without interrupting my show, and forcing a pause of the display (loss of show) every 8 hours of advance.
7. It is pretty easy to search for titles matching the show name your are looking at. Not perfect, but better than a lot of DVR's I've used.

#48 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Tonight, a show marked as "record new only" has a new episode at 9 pm, with repeats on tuesday. The episode tonight was scheduled to record.

Knowing I was low on space, I said to skip the recording tonight. There are two more showings this week, after all.

NONE of them became active for recording. "New" apparently means only on the very first showing. If that first showing doesn't record, it will forever skip it.

Bad, bad, bad.

===
Something else I like about this DVR: It keeps the list of series separate from the list of individual recordings.

(NB: EVERY ONE of those "Things I like" is something that a prior DVR I've used got wrong. Moxi was the worst, but sadly, I prefer it to Adelphia's. That's how bad Adelphia's was.)

#49 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

"New" apparently means only on the very first showing. If that first showing doesn't record, it will forever skip it.

Wrong.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#50 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

Wrong? Then why did it NOT record the next showing until I manually told it to?

Maybe there is something else going on with "Record New" recordings. But I have never seen it try to record these except either:
1. The very first showing, or
2. Every showing when it has no guide information about that showing.
===

The following is inexcusable:

Tonight I was watching the end of a show. While watching, I looked over the guide, saw a show I wanted to record, and told it to record.

DVR went unresponsive for a moment; I hit the DVR button twice to see what was happening. Briefly I saw flash the warning of being low on disk space, and it then disappeared. Now, I know that couldn't have been accurate -- I had well over an hour of space.

Hitting DVR again, I was then at the schedule. Never saw the list of shows. Saw my two recordings going on (one was almost done, one was just started). Hit cancel to bring up the list of shows.

Saw the two recordings -- the new one was in HD, and there was only 11 minutes of HD space. (Really 22; the estimate for HD recording is off by a factor of 2.)

No problem. I was still watching my recording in the upper right corner. I selected the HD recording, and hit "Stop Recording". I wanted the SD version of it.

Here's what happened:
1. I was changed from the DVR list with my playback in the upper corner to live display of the show I wanted to stop recording.
2. My playback show was deleted. There was still PLENTY of space left; there was no need to delete it yet.
3. The show that I said to stop recording was still recording.

*BAD*.
1: Do not delete stuff that I am watching.
2: Do not delete stuff when there is still 10 claimed minutes of HD, or over an hour of SD space.
3: Get the time estimate for HD shows corrected.
4: Do Not Interrupt What I am Watching To Delete It, especially if I chose not to delete shows when you gave me a warning.

#51 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Wrong? Then why did it NOT record the next showing until I manually told it to?

I do this several times a week and it's never failed to pick up the next airing of a program.
Also, you need to clean up your DVR recordings. Ten minutes of available space is just asking for trouble.

#52 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

Sorry, did not see your response. Odd: While you get the "New"'s to record if the first recording doesn't happen, I don't.

Here's a possible difference: I explicitly said "skip" on the first showing, because it would repeat this week and I had low disk space. It did not record one of the later shows.

Do you simply have a case of "There is a scheduling conflict, and priority forces the first episode to be skipped"? If so, then recording the next one to work around the scheduling conflict works, but recording the next to work around a skip instruction does not.

#53 OFFLINE   Keybounce

Keybounce

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

Today: At 1 pm, I had something scheduled to record. At 12:58, I cleaned up enough space for it to record.

It did not record. It shows the "red recording light" in the schedule, but not on the front panel, and not in the actual list of shows in the DVR.

EDIT: Manually saying "Record", and "Record entire event", turns on the red light on the front, but does not change the time remaining, nor displays it in the list of programs on the DVR.

#54 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Why is this thread stickied to the top? Seems a bit ... outdated.

#55 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

We tried sticking to the bottom but it didn't work. :)

#56 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Mods is there any way you can setup a L688"sticky" thread for the 722k,please.This is the software upgrade I received this morning.:)

Edited by Jhon69, 28 September 2011 - 08:20 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Why is this thread still stickied to the top? Is it nobody's job to stay on top of these things anymore?

#58 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

I had to do a front panel reset on my 722k again tonight. The 722k stopped responding to the remote and then the picture just went black. Last night the guide froze on screen. I was going weeks between a forced restart until this firmware arrived and now two days in a row.

#59 OFFLINE   gschield

gschield

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

My 722 freezes every time I try to rewind.

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,061 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Cool it down - open a cover, let it work for a week; post results.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...