Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV HR22 watch shows without satellite signal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmdrums

dmdrums

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Hello-

I am in the process of moving and would like to watch my recorded shows on my HR22. However when I booted it up (I don't have a dish here), it just gives me the option to go through satellite setup. How can I access the recorded shows without a satellite signal?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dmdrums

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

You can try hitting EXIT, then MENU when it gets to the searching for sat signal screen. If you can get to the menu, then you should be able to get to your playlist.

However, if that works, it will only work for a limited time as the DVR requires regular re-authorization from DirecTV (which it gets when it is getting the satellite feed).

Another option might be to use a simple 18" round dish (which only sees satellite 101) on a temporary basis, which will then let you watch most of the SD programming as well as use the other features (such as watching recordings - SD or HD).

#3 OFFLINE   dmdrums

dmdrums

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I'm staying in a friends casita for 5 weeks until my house is finished being remodeled. I can't drill a hole to get a wire in here. Do you know if there is any other way to get the authorizations?

Would an ethernet connection provide this?

Do they make any sort of way to "connect" a dish to the receiver wirelessly so I don't need a hole in the wall?

I appreciate your help with this!

Have a great night,

dmdrums

#4 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I'm staying in a friends casita for 5 weeks until my house is finished being remodeled. I can't drill a hole to get a wire in here. Do you know if there is any other way to get the authorizations?

Would an ethernet connection provide this?

Do they make any sort of way to "connect" a dish to the receiver wirelessly so I don't need a hole in the wall?

I appreciate your help with this!

Have a great night,

dmdrums

AFAIK, without a sat signal...the receiver will not show recorded programs. There isn't a wireless way to connect the dish to the the receiver...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Some ideas for getting a coax in - cut a 2x4 to the width of a window, drill a hole in the 2x4 for the coax, then close the window to the 2x4. You can cut one or two pieces of 1x1 or similar to block/lock the window in that position. There is also something called "flat coax" which is designed to go through the edge of a closed sliding window or door. Those are discouraged because they tend to fail fairly fast, but in your case 5 weeks should not be a problem if you are not regularly opening/closing the window or door it goes through.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Carl's recommendations are probably the best you can do. Some people have said that they can play their recorded content without an input indefinitely, while others stated it lasted as short as a day.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   2500ram

2500ram

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

HR-22 100, just disconnected and can't play recorded shows:mad:

3rd DVR in a month and the DW is getting upset at the lost shows.
2 HR2x DVR's and 2 SD receivers for now.

#8 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

HR-22 100, just disconnected and can't play recorded shows:mad:

3rd DVR in a month and the DW is getting upset at the lost shows.

?? Perhaps you've left out part of the story. The shows are not lost. They will play as soon as the DVR is connected again.
DogLover

My Setup

spam firewall