Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Congress may delay distant net reauth for another 15 days

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

The old extension to SHVERA is set to expire Feb. 28, aka this Sunday. Without some kind of authorization, Dish and DirecTV won't be able to carry any distant broadcast channels to their subscribers.

According to Broadcasting & Cable, the new version of the bill is called STELA (the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act), and I guess they're having trouble making time to talk about it. Either that, or lawmakers are doing Brando imitations and giggling too hard to concentrate.

John Eggerton, who seems to be the only person keeping track, says that yesterday (Feb. 22) Congress was going to try to give itself a 15-day extension by unanimous consent, but did they? Even he doesn't know.

Go read it all: http://www.broadcast...ellite_Bill.php

Edited by FTA Michael, 26 February 2010 - 01:14 PM.
Not really LiL

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

The old extension to SHVERA is set to expire Feb. 28, aka this Sunday. Without some kind of authorization, Dish and DirecTV won't be able to carry any local broadcast channels to their subscribers.

Go read it all: http://www.broadcast...ellite_Bill.php

That's a distortion... it does NOT affect subscribers who receive their LIL's only those who receive DNS Network feeds would lose their signals. That's bad enough but the majority of clients would be unaffected.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

John Eggerton, the hardest working man in Washington, says that the Senate is now looking at a 30-day extension.

http://www.broadcast...ite_License.php

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for keeping us up to date on legislative issues. Even though I've been back on cable for a while, I still have my dish(es) proudly and firmly mounted on a pole out in the south forty, but I'm still very interested in what's going on with sat.

Speaking of cable, my local Comcast just upped its HD channel count to 72, but still no MSNBC HD. I guess QVC HD and E! HD are considered more important than (not then) a channel that carries actual important programming such as "Way To Early" with Willie Giest.

I'm just sayin' :whatdidid

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

Something is wrong with the arithmetic (30 days after Feb 28 is not March 28) but there are recent reports of a longer than 15 day delay

http://www.broadcast...ite_License.php
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

I been all over this stuff. I called my Senator's office the last few days and the guy I usually talk to was out. I plan to call tomorrow. Anything I find out I WILL be posting here. I been waiting and waiting to see what direction they were going to go with for LIL and for DNS feeds. Quit delaying it and decide already. Its getting out of hand with the delays.

#7 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

The Senate did not pass the reauthorization. According to John Eggerton, Jim Bunning (R-Kentucky) wouldn't go along with unanimous consent for the package including the STELA postponement because of other stuff in the package.

What will happen Monday, March 1? I don't know, but at least I have a link to the story (mobile version): http://mobile.multic...n_Extension.php

PS, Sorry for my earlier LiL confusion. SHVIA and SHVERA sound so much alike! :) This is about _distant_ networks, not local.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

It drives me around the bend that 1 Senator can prevent the other 99 from voting. These aren't "rules of order" rather it is anarchy.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

Im gonna be ticked if I lose my DNS feeds over this crap. It wass supposed to be sorted out by the end of last year. Quit putting it off and deal with it already. This is stupid.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Im gonna be ticked if I lose my DNS feeds over this crap. It wass supposed to be sorted out by the end of last year. Quit putting it off and deal with it already. This is stupid.

Your tax dollars at work. :rolleyes:

The folks on the committee to get this done should be ashamed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   uprevx

uprevx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever, if I want to pay for the feeds from wherever, why shouldn't I be able to?

I can subscribe to newspapers anywhere in the world and they will send them to me. I can log on to the internet and check the news anywhere in the world also.

It is no different than saying for instance, you can not buy any products outside your home area, that would be the end of the majority of online ordering wouldn't it? That would never fly.

Here is another example, there are several local channels that my local cable provider can give me, but directv can not because the channels are classified as being in a different market, WTF?

Just another instance of big brother telling you what you can and can not do.

Edited by uprevx, 27 February 2010 - 09:29 AM.

HR24-500 HDMI - Samsung Un60d8000 - Living Room
HR24-200 HDMI - Vizio SV473XVT - Master Bedroom
HR24-500 HDMI - Samsung Pn58c7000 - Game/Media Room
HR21-700 HDMI - Vizio 32" LCD - Kids Room
HR21-700 HDMI - Vizio SV423XVT - Computer Room

#12 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

Well here is the part that burns my bacon.

http://thehill.com/b...ups-on-the-hill

The companies' licenses to deliver distant network affiliate TV signals to viewers will expire at midnight on Sunday. A measure to extend the licenses was part of a proposal to extend unemployment benefits and other expiring tax provisions.

Ok, so what does unemployment have to do with satellite TV and why was that part of the bill?

#13 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever, if I want to pay for the feeds from wherever, why shouldn't I be able to?

I can subscribe to newspapers anywhere in the world and they will send them to me. I can log on to the internet and check the news anywhere in the world also.

Let me put this the simplest way.

If you want to get the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune delivered to you, you contact each company and they can mail those newspapers to you.

If you do not want to wait a couple of days for a newspaper, you could go to a newstand which may have the papers available. You could even go to each newspapers' website and get the news, provided you agree with their terms and conditions.

If you even want to watch local newscasts on channels generally unavailable to you, you can view them over the internet.

However, are you paying each station to deliver feeds to you? Including feeds of programming that are copyright-restricted, such as network programming?

That is where the disconnect in this whole argument.

Well, in this case, if the government decides to let the market run its course and as "big brother" does nothing, distant network feeds should no longer be available. How is it "big brother" when the government doesn't meddle?

#14 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:42 AM

Ok, so what does unemployment have to do with satellite TV and why was that part of the bill?

Back in both 1999 (SHVIA) and 2004 (SHVERA), these bills were tied to the big budget bills (omnibus appropriations) and passed. Why should this be any different?

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

Anyone know if this will affect RV users getting the DNS? My dad gets them in his RV.

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

Technically, it is supposed to affect everyone. However, it appears that many legislators have signed a letter addressed to DirecTV and Dish Network asking for the status quo to be maintained until they can pass a bill and get it signed into law.

All it would take is for one station group to sue for copyright violations...

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,928 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

Anyone know if this will affect RV users getting the DNS? My dad gets them in his RV.

Without congressional action, DNS would cease to exist altogether and RV users would be forced to rely on OTA or changing to a conventional residential account with appropriate address changes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,928 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

Just another instance of something very much like a regulated monopoly. Regulated monopolies are often necessary to the survival of a service in a particular market.

Other examples of regulated monopolies are wireline phone services, electricity, gas, water, cable television and garbage services.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Without congressional action, DNS would cease to exist altogether and RV users would be forced to rely on OTA or changing to a conventional residential account with appropriate address changes.

Perhaps they should attach the legislation to the one that includes their pay raises....it'll get done overnight. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

Perhaps they should attach the legislation to the one that includes their pay raises....it'll get done overnight. :D

I doubt it, they gives themselves raises anytime they please as it is.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...