Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Congress may delay distant net reauth for another 15 days

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

Contact Senator Bunning of Kentucky. He is holding up the bill which also includes a one month extension of unemployment benefits. He is holding up the bills because he wants to Senate to eliminate the millionaire Estate Tax. And by the way, he is not up for re-election. Classic obstructionism by our so called representative in Washington.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

Back in both 1999 (SHVIA) and 2004 (SHVERA), these bills were tied to the big budget bills (omnibus appropriations) and passed. Why should this be any different?

It isn't different, but still not a good way of doing things.

#23 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

Let me put this the simplest way.

If you want to get the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune delivered to you, you contact each company and they can mail those newspapers to you.

If you do not want to wait a couple of days for a newspaper, you could go to a newstand which may have the papers available. You could even go to each newspapers' website and get the news, provided you agree with their terms and conditions.

If you even want to watch local newscasts on channels generally unavailable to you, you can view them over the internet.

However, are you paying each station to deliver feeds to you? Including feeds of programming that are copyright-restricted, such as network programming?

That is where the disconnect in this whole argument.

The newspapers are glad to have you purchase their paper (regardless of how you do it).

The stations used for DNS have no issue with you watching their station.

The networks are happy that you're watching their program, regardless of where you watch it, but they don't want to tick off the affiliates either.

DirecTV and the company Dish Network uses have no issue providing you with DNS. I personally have every DNS feed except for NBC and FOX, and I'm paying $12 a month for it. If I had NBC and FOX, I'd be paying $19 a month for all of them.

Can you guess the one group I've left out of the above argument?! :D

~Alan

#24 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

The one that has the legal standing to provide the programming you want to watch!

The stations used for DNS have no issue with you watching their station.

That also depends. They'd prefer that their stations aren't used to usurp the affiliate system, as I'm sure WCBS doesn't care if their station is used for DNS, but they care if another station is imported into their territory.

Besides, the stations have no say whether or not they are used for DNS.

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

That also depends. They'd prefer that their stations aren't used to usurp the affiliate system, as I'm sure WCBS doesn't care if their station is used for DNS, but they care if another station is imported into their territory.

Absolutely! That doesn't make my statement any less true...

~Alan

#26 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Back in both 1999 (SHVIA) and 2004 (SHVERA), these bills were tied to the big budget bills (omnibus appropriations) and passed. Why should this be any different?

Guess that makes sense. :rolleyes:

#27 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,242 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever, if I want to pay for the feeds from wherever, why shouldn't I be able to?

I can subscribe to newspapers anywhere in the world and they will send them to me. I can log on to the internet and check the news anywhere in the world also.

It is no different than saying for instance, you can not buy any products outside your home area, that would be the end of the majority of online ordering wouldn't it? That would never fly.

Here is another example, there are several local channels that my local cable provider can give me, but directv can not because the channels are classified as being in a different market, WTF?

Just another instance of big brother telling you what you can and can not do.

Not exactly.

It's the powerful, big money NAB lobby telling Congress and the FCC what to do. Under current law & FCC rules, broadcasters own the eyes of the viewers in their DMA.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#28 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Why is this continually an issue? Why don't they just just give the satellite companies the right to provide local channels and any missing affiliates in those markets will be provided in the locals package. For example, if your market has no local ABC station, then one will be provided in the package for you much like CW is added to the packages now with Dish in areas that don't have a CW affiliate.

I think both services should be required to carry locals in all markets, then distants wouldn't be an issue, just provide the missing affiliates so each market for their $3 or $5 a month gets an ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, and CW station.

#29 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

I doubt it, they gives themselves raises anytime they please as it is.

Nope, not since the 27th Amendment was (finally!) ratified. They can only give the next Congress a pay raise. ('Course, given re-election rates prior to 2010, that's not been too far from giving themselves a boost, but still...)

#30 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

It drives me around the bend that 1 Senator can prevent the other 99 from voting. These aren't "rules of order" rather it is anarchy.

He didn't prevent them from voting. It was a "unanimous consent request" to AVOID voting. Why is it unconscionable that one person can stop something that REQUIRES everyone to agree?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#31 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Ok, so what does unemployment have to do with satellite TV and why was that part of the bill?

Nothing, except this is the grab-bag list of stuff that they want to ignore for another month, and one senator is P.O.'d about something else the majority wants to ignore again.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#32 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

That stupid Senator from Kentucky is the same idiot who help up the vote on the jobless claims and cobra extensions

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#33 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Why is this continually an issue? Why don't they just just give the satellite companies the right to provide local channels and any missing affiliates in those markets will be provided in the locals package. For example, if your market has no local ABC station, then one will be provided in the package for you much like CW is added to the packages now with Dish in areas that don't have a CW affiliate.

I think both services should be required to carry locals in all markets, then distants wouldn't be an issue, just provide the missing affiliates so each market for their $3 or $5 a month gets an ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, and CW station.

Because it makes sense that's why. I'll be down to one network if the DNS' get shut down.

However... I had a station manager tell me that DTV could give you any channels they want if you are in a DMA that doesn't have all the networks and they choose to give you the East side or the West side instead of letting you have the ones in a neighboring DMA. Made sense to me as they would be distant if you can't receive them.

#34 OFFLINE   Wetboss

Wetboss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for keeping us up to date on legislative issues. Even though I've been back on cable for a while, I still have my dish(es) proudly and firmly mounted on a pole out in the south forty, but I'm still very interested in what's going on with sat.

Speaking of cable, my local Comcast just upped its HD channel count to 72, but still no MSNBC HD. I guess QVC HD and E! HD are considered more important than (not then) a channel that carries actual important programming such as "Way To Early" with Willie Giest.

I'm just sayin' :whatdidid

MSNBC has almost no viewership, it would be. a waste of bandwidth.

#35 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

That stupid Senator from Kentucky is the same idiot who help up the vote on the jobless claims and cobra extensions

Lets keep politics out of this. He held it up because the Senate wasn't paying for it. He said he would allow it to pass, if they could find some way to pay for it instead of adding to the national debt.

#36 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

John Eggerton's Friday night sign-off: The Senate adjourned without passing the bill, and unless they go back in session by Sunday night, the license to deliver distant networks expires midnight Monday.

http://www.broadcast..._Un_Renewed.php
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#37 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

There is zero chance that the Senate is going to go into session tomorrow - but - DirecTV hasn't said a word so I would think they have something worked out.

A week ago, there was a banner up on channel 395, I think. The message was talking about locals in, of all places, Kentucky but that disappeared. One would think that if the distant locals were going off in 24-28 hours, there would be a crawl or banner or something.

#38 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

The Senate did not pass the reauthorization. According to John Eggerton, Jim Bunning (R-Kentucky) wouldn't go along with unanimous consent for the package including the STELA postponement because of other stuff in the package.

What will happen Monday, March 1? I don't know, but at least I have a link to the story (mobile version): http://mobile.multic...n_Extension.php

PS, Sorry for my earlier LiL confusion. SHVIA and SHVERA sound so much alike! :) This is about _distant_ networks, not local.

Jim Bunning is a moron. He is also single handedly holding up passage of the extension to the Federal Emergency Unemployment Benefits (EUC tiers) including Cobra which expires today. As of tomorrow it is estimated 150,000 unemployed will be without benefits and over 1,000,000 by the end of the month. He is filibustering a (for once) bi-partisan 30-day extension that EVEN THE REPUBLICANS want him to lay off (no pun intended) of.

#39 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

Lets keep politics out of this. He held it up because the Senate wasn't paying for it. He said he would allow it to pass, if they could find some way to pay for it instead of adding to the national debt.

That's not politics, it's a fact of what he has done. 150,000 people will be without benefits tomorrow (and even some without local TV stations which is even more important :rolleyes: ) because of his principle.

This has nothing to do with politics, just a stupid stupid man who sits in his million dollar home while people lose theirs.

#40 OFFLINE   lotboy16

lotboy16

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

Honestly if congress doesnt pass it then sure that is a issue with our elected officials that we all need address this fall. But Directv and Dish both continue to ignore the effect this will have on their viewers. No craw, no emails, no nothing from either of them. It could very well have a larger backlash of D* because of the mounting loss of channels ei. Versus. :nono2:

spam firewall