Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Congress may delay distant net reauth for another 15 days

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

Just to clarify, Bunning just wanted to use leftover “stimulus” money to pay for the benefits. He's not against extending the benefits, it's just the way it's paid for.

http://www.cbsnews.c...ry6247981.shtml
Bunning says he wants to renew the programs, which costs 10.3 billion, but only once they are adequately paid for. (He advocates using stimulus funds.) Democrats are expected to vote to override his block early next week.
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Speaking of cable, my local Comcast just upped its HD channel count to 72, but still no MSNBC HD. I guess QVC HD and E! HD are considered more important than (not then) a channel that carries actual important programming such as "Way To Early" with Willie Giest.

I'm just sayin' :whatdidid

MSNBC-Owned by NBC Universal.
E! Entertainment-Owned by Comcra... er, Comcast.
QVC-Owned but Liberty Media, but Comcra... er, Comcast gets a percentage of every purchase its subscribers make.

Hope this helps...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#43 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

Something is wrong with the arithmetic (30 days after Feb 28 is not March 28)

30 days hath September,
April, June and November,
All the rest have 31,
Excepting February alone.
Which only has but 28 days clear
And 29 in each leap year

The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#44 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever, if I want to pay for the feeds from wherever, why shouldn't I be able to?

<SIGH>

OK, let's say you decide to go into business. You choose a product that gives you an exclusive territory. No one else can sell your product in that market. You put lots and lots of money into your business. You buy (or lease) specialized equipment to operate your business. You hire a staff of experts to operate that equipment, market your product to your exclusive market and add value to the product you sell.

Now imagine that someone wants to come into your exclusive territory with absolutely no investment of time, money or resources and sell the exact same product to the same consumers you have the exclusive right to serve. Not only that, it isn't even their product to sell-they are taking the output of another person like you, in a different exclusive territory, that is designed and marketed to that territory and just wants to dump that product in your market for anyone to obtain. Oh, and that other franchisee (for want of a better term) has way more resources than you and can put out a flashier, more inviting product.

How would you feel?

You'd want to enforce your exclusive right to sell your product in your territory, right? You would not want to see all your time, money, effort and resources turn into nothing, wouldn't you? You wouldn't want to have to fire all your employees, sell all your now unneeded equipment at fire sale prices and close up shop-or worse, declare bankruptcy, right?

That's the way TV is. Its roughly 210 different stations (per network) each selling the exact same base product (the network shows) with value added features (local news, sports and entertainment as well as syndicated shows) that are tailored to the local market. While TV stations are charged with serving the public good, they are primarily for profit businesses. As my Intro to American Broadcasting professor said on day 1, "The sole reason for American commercial television is to deliver the maximum number of viewers to a certain point in time so that an advertiser can present their message."

I can subscribe to newspapers anywhere in the world and they will send them to me. I can log on to the internet and check the news anywhere in the world also.

But those newspapers are not delivering the exact same base product. They all retain the right to pick and choose what news goes where in the paper, how long the stories run and what is left in or taken out of the stories.

It is no different than saying for instance, you can not buy any products outside your home area, that would be the end of the majority of online ordering wouldn't it? That would never fly.

If you have an exclusive contract for a territory, then unless that contract is declared null and void in court, it certainly would fly, and does all the time.

Here is another example, there are several local channels that my local cable provider can give me, but directv can not because the channels are classified as being in a different market, WTF?

That has long been a sore spot with DBS providers-the unequal treatment by the FCC and Congress over neighboring locals/significantly viewed channels. Cable has been around longer, has more support in the Capitol (such as the Senator from Comcra... er, Comcaat, Arlen Specter) and has more money to throw around.

Just another instance of big brother telling you what you can and can not do.

In this one instance, we are in agreement.

#45 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Just to clarify, Bunning just wanted to use leftover “stimulus” money to pay for the benefits. He's not against extending the benefits, it's just the way it's paid for.

http://www.cbsnews.c...ry6247981.shtml
Bunning says he wants to renew the programs, which costs 10.3 billion, but only once they are adequately paid for. (He advocates using stimulus funds.) Democrats are expected to vote to override his block early next week.

I am very aware of that, meanwhile 150,000 people will not get benefits (and local TV - gee what's more important) today because he is the ONLY ONE in Congress holding it up. It's only a 1 month extension. Give the one month and argue about the rest of the year later. He's creating terrible uncertainty for hundreds of thousands of people as well as the states who have to constantly change their payment rules.

#46 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Honestly if congress doesnt pass it then sure that is a issue with our elected officials that we all need address this fall. But Directv and Dish both continue to ignore the effect this will have on their viewers. No craw, no emails, no nothing from either of them. It could very well have a larger backlash of D* because of the mounting loss of channels ei. Versus. :nono2:

I called the VP of Customer Services Office Friday and was told that they recieved a fax asking them to keep the DNS feeds on as they expect to reach an agreement very soon. She indicated that is what they planned to do. I will call back today and see if the story has changed.

#47 OFFLINE   lotboy16

lotboy16

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I called the VP of Customer Services Office Friday and was told that they recieved a fax asking them to keep the DNS feeds on as they expect to reach an agreement very soon. She indicated that is what they planned to do. I will call back today and see if the story has changed.

Deffinatly all the info that can be gained would be a great help to all of us in understanding this mess. If u get any updates please let us know :)

#48 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

Deffinatly all the info that can be gained would be a great help to all of us in understanding this mess. If u get any updates please let us know :)

I just called back again. After a good 5 minute wait with this same office not a normal CSR I was told that the DNS feeds would not be shut off. I was told that Congress should be coming to an agreement on this very soon. Fine with me. Im pretty sure someone in this thread posted a link that said something to this affect to. D* and E* were asked to keep airing them. My guess is that they will rule on it in osme capacity by the end of next week. I plan to call my Senator's office back on Monday to see what I can find out from them.

#49 OFFLINE   lotboy16

lotboy16

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

I just called back again. After a good 5 minute wait with this same office not a normal CSR I was told that the DNS feeds would not be shut off. I was told that Congress should be coming to an agreement on this very soon. Fine with me. Im pretty sure someone in this thread posted a link that said something to this affect to. D* and E* were asked to keep airing them. My guess is that they will rule on it in osme capacity by the end of next week. I plan to call my Senator's office back on Monday to see what I can find out from them.

Good to hear thats for sure. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow if DNS is staying on the air or not. Wouldnt want to be a directv or dish CCR if they shut them off tho :eek2:

#50 OFFLINE   neOHIOdishNETWORKdealer

neOHIOdishNETWORKdealer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

I believe that on the Dish Network side of the fence, the customers affected will be All American Direct customers as Dish Network no longer is in the Distant Locals business.

#51 OFFLINE   Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

I am very aware of that, meanwhile 150,000 people will not get benefits (and local TV - gee what's more important) today because he is the ONLY ONE in Congress holding it up. It's only a 1 month extension. Give the one month and argue about the rest of the year later. He's creating terrible uncertainty for hundreds of thousands of people as well as the states who have to constantly change their payment rules.

Or the rest of congress is irresponsibly trying to allocate additional money that they don't have, when in fact, there is ready money left over from the "stimulus" that can be used immediately. But, hey lets do whatever, just so you can keep watching TV.
HR24-200

#52 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

Or the rest of congress is irresponsibly trying to allocate additional money that they don't have, when in fact, there is ready money left over from the "stimulus" that can be used immediately. But, hey lets do whatever, just so you can keep watching TV.

No, so "I" can pay my rent. Can't watch TV if I have no place to watch it.

#53 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:57 AM

After midnight, everything's still on, nothing has changed,

#54 OFFLINE   ElectricPickle

ElectricPickle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

<SIGH>

OK, let's say you decide to go into business.....
Now imagine that someone wants to come into your exclusive territory...Oh, and that other franchisee (for want of a better term) has way more resources than you and can put out a flashier, more inviting product.

How would you feel?

I appreciate the explanation and I do understand why these regulations are in place, but I see it as classic "Too big to fail" thinking. The OTA broadcasters are dinosaurs that are being propped up by the Federal Government. Technology has almost made them irrelevant. Local news and weather are the only things going for them and there are less and less eyes watching it - which means less revenue from local advertizing. It's kind of like the automobile put the horse and buggy dealers out of business. Cellular phones are taking out land line phone subscriptions and the Internet has taken away a big chunk of the US Post Office's business (although they really are too big to fail ;) )
Go Gators!

#55 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

I still have my DNS east coast channels tonight!

#56 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

FYI, NPS said they have no plans to shut off distants as they report the same thing as posted above, legislation will eventually be passed. How they are still being provided I do not know, just glad they are.

#57 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

According to John Eggerton's most recent dispatch, the reason everyone is still providing distant signals is that they've been assured by Congressional staff that the eventual bill (or another extension?) will include language to "retroactively make the interim delivery legal." :rolleyes: Meanwhile, the bill or something is apparently back in the pipeline.

You know you want to read it all: http://www.broadcast...obs_Package.php
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#58 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

According to John Eggerton's most recent dispatch, the reason everyone is still providing distant signals is that they've been assured by Congressional staff that the eventual bill (or another extension?) will include language to "retroactively make the interim delivery legal." :rolleyes: Meanwhile, the bill or something is apparently back in the pipeline.

You know you want to read it all: http://www.broadcast...obs_Package.php

Thanks!

#59 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

I spoke with my Senator's office today and they believe that this will be cleared up by the end of this week.

#60 OFFLINE   huron77

huron77

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

I can only get Fox distant. All others denied me.

With no agreement in place, can I slide in and get these
networks now?

Just wonderin'...

spam firewall