Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Congress may delay distant net reauth for another 15 days

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

I DOUBT IT LOL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Shhhhh.....use your INSIDE voice.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#63 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

I can only get Fox distant. All others denied me.

With no agreement in place, can I slide in and get these
networks now?

Just wonderin'...

They have 30 days to respond. I doubt they will respond before that 30 days and my guess is this will be finalized within that time. The real loop hole was between feb and the transition date. Some affiliates went digital early meaning there is no way you could get an analog signal and they could not deny your waiver. Well the transition has passed and all local stations are now digital so you missed the window as did I. Just because they denied you once done mean you shouldnt try again. I kept submittint them until I got them all passed except for CBS. Its worth trying. Do it yourself from the website here: http://www.directv.c...80022#h:583.455

#64 OFFLINE   Bowlin

Bowlin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

<SIGH>

OK, let's say you decide to go into business. You choose a product that gives you an exclusive territory. No one else can sell your product in that market. <snip>

But therein lies the rub, eh? Isn't the very granting of exclusivity contrary to the best interests of the consumer?

Free competition is the bedrock of a free enterprise capitalist system. Sure, every seller of a product wants to maneuver to get an edge over their (potential) competition, and in some cases they even get in bed with the government to prevent competition. This seldom serves the consumer.

Want proof? You need only look at the airlines or telephone companies. They used to be regulated and the prices of those products today in actual numeric dollars (not time-value dollars) is in most cases lower than in the days of regulation. Consider inflation and prices today are pennies on the dollar. Competition lowers prices.

I own a liquor store. Sure, I'd like to be the only guy in town who can sell the products I carry, but I'm not. Sure, I'd like to have the government step in and prevent another liquor store from opening within, oh, say, about 200 miles of my store, but I can't.

If they did, I'd make even more money. I'd be able to curtail my hours, reduce my staff, raise prices and reduce my overhead — all to save costs and increase profit, secure in the knowlege that everyone has to buy from me.

Instead, I have to compete with both the small mom-'n-pop neighborhood stores and the big megopolies on price and service, and I do. In fact, I do such a good job that my store has been voted as the best in town. And I don't have access to any product or service that isn't also available all over town. Instead, I'm forced to simply do it better!

Sorry, Newshawk, I vigorously disagree with your underlying premise. If there ever was a day when exclusivity in any communications endeavor was appropriate, it is long past.

#65 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

Shhhhh.....use your INSIDE voice.

:D

BTW I think they said this passed this morning on the news.

#66 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

I own a liquor store. Sure, I'd like to be the only guy in town who can sell the products I carry, but I'm not. Sure, I'd like to have the government step in and prevent another liquor store from opening within, oh, say, about 200 miles of my store, but I can't.

If they did, I'd make even more money. I'd be able to curtail my hours, reduce my staff, raise prices and reduce my overhead — all to save costs and increase profit, secure in the knowlege that everyone has to buy from me.

Instead, I have to compete with both the small mom-'n-pop neighborhood stores and the big megopolies on price and service, and I do.

Analogies seldom are accurate when comparing retail sales with a service such as broadcasting.

Assume the "Star Trek" transporter were invented and the consumer could freely visit any liquor store in the country by pushing a button. Can you "do it better" than the biggest liquor store in NYC or LA, and survive? Because that's the equivalent of bringing NYC network channels into Podunk.

If a city had two or three NBC stations, neither would do well enough in the ratings to make money.

#67 OFFLINE   ElectricPickle

ElectricPickle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Analogies seldom are accurate when comparing retail sales with a service such as broadcasting.

Assume the "Star Trek" transporter were invented and the consumer could freely visit any liquor store in the country by pushing a button. Can you "do it better" than the biggest liquor store in NYC or LA, and survive? Because that's the equivalent of bringing NYC network channels into Podunk.

If a city had two or three NBC stations, neither would do well enough in the ratings to make money.

I like your Star Trek transporter analogy. If there were such a thing it would affect transportation throughout the world and change everything. Your last statement makes my point that local broadcasters are outdated and irrelevant. In today’s digital age you only need one NBC station. A national one. Local broadcasters could still exist, but not affiliated with a network. They would have to gain revenue from local programming, or dare I say it, government subsidies (PBS).
Your analogy is pretty much what happened to computer stores. There used to be a mom-and-pop computer store in every town. Then the mail-order builders like Gateway & Dell caught hold and many of the mom-and-pops could not compete. After a while even the brick-and-mortar Gateway stores had to close, not profitable enough against small profit margined, low overhead mail-order companies (Apple stores are still around though). Now you can’t even buy computer parts other than at Best Buy or the basic stuff at the local Wal-Mart. We are still taxed to pay for computers and broadband in government schools, which give no benefit to local private businesses. The private sector has to survive on profit; the public sector can always raise taxes.
Go Gators!

#68 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

You could say the same about gas stations at a corner or radio stations using similar formats. Competition benefits the consumer and hurts profits compared to non-competitive situations.

In particular, if there were two NBC stations, they'd have to work to differentiate themselves. Maybe they'd use different transmission methods (OTA, cable-only, mobile DVB). Maybe they'd concentrate on different areas within the market. At some point, they might decide to merge, or one might switch to a different network. It would be much closer to a free market, where products and services evolve to meet demand.

But it's pretty pointless to talk about it. The system we have is the way it is. No one with enough clout wants to change local market exclusivity for broadcast content. There's a better chance of the internet revolutionizing how we get TV than of us convincing Congress to change rules in a way that doesn't benefit any broadcasting industry.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#69 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

The latest John Eggerton dispatch: He talks with House Communications Subcommittee chairman Rick Boucher (D-Va.), who says that "(t)he satellite reauthorization bill should be signed, sealed and delivered to the president's desk by week's end".

You really should read it all: http://www.multichan..._Week_s_End.php

#70 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

Here's an exclusive, though unsurprising, bit of info I just verified. STELA is reported to include the true grandfathered Superstations in its reauthorization. So there's one less thing for us all to worry about. :)

#71 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

I didn't really see anything on D* for DMA's that don't have locals. So D* already has DNS feeds. Does that mean there is no emphasis for them to add the remaining missing markets?. Also what will happen with the significantly viewed stations? As for the grandfathered part, well we can only hope to be so lucky.

#72 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Where would local TV come from for you folks in Miami, Josh? IOW, what are your nearest affiliates?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#73 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

D* and E* should just be allowed to turn all the locals on for everyone, at least as far as the spot beams will go. They would have to trim the edges of the spot beams so they don't bounce in and out, but other than that, you should be allowed to receive whatever your equipment can, but only your DMA can be remapped to 2-69 on the satellite boxes. The whole local affiliate exclusivity is ridiculous.

#74 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

Frankly, I'm happy with what I have now; antenna for PBS, ABC, and NBC, waivers for CBS and FOX. Actually, I would do NBC if I had a shot since the NFL games on the local affiliate suffer from break up whenever the camera pans quickly. But, it seems that later this year locals will come to my area. I keep abreast of it by visiting the Local HD Info thread for my area at AVSForum. I was going to suggest Josh do the same, so here's the index thread where you can try to narrow down to your location or the nearest one. We're being told that DISH Network has set up equipment at a local transmission facility to pick up over-the-air broadcasts. Binghamton, the city mine is paired with along with Corning in that thread, has been told that in June or thereabouts DirecTV will offer them locals. My issue is whether they'll just pass the CBS feed that's being transmitted here, a 480i sub-channel feed by the local ABC affiliate, or if they'll spring for the HD feed they provide for Time-Warner Cable. If it's the former, I'll have major issues.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#75 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

I'd be happy with "every station in your DMA" (even though DMAs are arbitrary) plus "every station that reaches anywhere in your zip code with their predicted signal" (including former analog Grade B coverage that is allegedly replicated in digital).

Very few people want a station from thousands of miles away. Most want the stations they could get on cable. The closest affiliates. The only expansion needed would be for those who would still be missing an affiliate after the two rules above.

The early days of satellite spoiled people with out of market stations delivered without permission to viewers across the nation. There would be no locals or distants at all if it were not for the permissive rules put in place by congress. The only drawback is that satellite rules are too restrictive on out of market signals. (Signals that a cable system can be forced to carry cannot be delivered to the same customer via satellite.) Get rid of the gap and I believe most viewers will be happy.

There will always be those who want everything from everywhere ... but the majority would be served by just giving satellite customers what locals they get from cable.

#76 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Where would local TV come from for you folks in Miami, Josh? IOW, what are your nearest affiliates?

My locals come from pittsburg kansas & joplin missouri but I live in oklahoma. Go figure. I called my Senators office again today & they are trying to find out if my DMA is one of the 19 new ones Directv is rolling out to this year. I use an antenna for CBS but have DNS feeds for the rest.

#77 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

Josh, you could also call one of your local affiliates, ask to speak to the engineer or program director and ask if they feel there's any likelihood of their feed being carried by the satellite providers in the near future. If DirecTV or DISH is talking to one of them, then you can safely assume they're talking to all of them.

#78 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

I'd be happy with "every station in your DMA" (even though DMAs are arbitrary) plus "every station that reaches anywhere in your zip code with their predicted signal" (including former analog Grade B coverage that is allegedly replicated in digital).

Very few people want a station from thousands of miles away. Most want the stations they could get on cable. The closest affiliates. The only expansion needed would be for those who would still be missing an affiliate after the two rules above.

The early days of satellite spoiled people with out of market stations delivered without permission to viewers across the nation. There would be no locals or distants at all if it were not for the permissive rules put in place by congress. The only drawback is that satellite rules are too restrictive on out of market signals. (Signals that a cable system can be forced to carry cannot be delivered to the same customer via satellite.) Get rid of the gap and I believe most viewers will be happy.

There will always be those who want everything from everywhere ... but the majority would be served by just giving satellite customers what locals they get from cable.

I still think the best thing to do would be to just say any station that broadcasts within 60 miles of you should be able to be provided to you by your chosen television provider. If you're beyond the 60 mile limit for any network you should be allowed to purchase either a national version of that network or even one from a city in your region. But i'm sure that's way too simple to work, but it sure makes a lot more sense in my head than the current DMA based rules they have for satellite and a completely different set of rules for cable.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#79 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

Josh, you could also call one of your local affiliates, ask to speak to the engineer or program director and ask if they feel there's any likelihood of their feed being carried by the satellite providers in the near future. If DirecTV or DISH is talking to one of them, then you can safely assume they're talking to all of them.

Believe me I have done that. They say they are coming but no one seems to know when. I have a high up contact with D* that said if 2010 it would be Q4. I have talked with my Senator, my Congressman, D*, VP of CS for D*, higher then that with D*, FCC, Decisionmark, VP of Decisionmark, part owners of decisionmark, GM and Chief Engineer for all 4 affiliates in my DMA, some of their owners, etc. Trust me I can promise you I have researched this more then anyone on this site in the last 2 years. Granted Im more up on my area but I still know a ton on DNS feeds, LIL, antenna's and all that jazz.

I even listend to the congressional hearing last June that had D*, E*, Disney, NAB, and a few others there. It was long but very very interesting to say the least. It was very educational. Im all over this for sure. I have made sure that the people that have the power to change this stuff know what I want. Problem so far seems to be that E* is the one that is really getting somewhere with all this. Since they have DNS feeds at stake and want them back it gives them incentive to add all or almost all DMA's. D* already has DNS feeds so what motivates them I have no clue. I am waiting on my Senator's office to call me back anyday to let me know if my DMA is one of the 19 D* is planning to launch this year.

#80 OFFLINE   psdstu

psdstu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

When this bill is finally signed will this mean that I will one day be able to once again receive from "E" the local to me CBS station from Dothan Al due to my Panama City FL DMA does not have a CBS affiliate?

I'm not sure if it's which of the correct terms it's covered under..... Distant Networks.... Local into Local.....or Significantly Viewed..... but I used to get CBS from E and wanted to know if this new bill would give those of us in this situation any hope.

Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...