Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyway to watch....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Daddy Freddy

Daddy Freddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

Is there anyway to watch recorded shows from one DVR on the other DVR? I have 2 722k's, 1 in den, 1 in bedroom. Can I record shows in the den and watch them in the bedroom and vise versa? If not, is this what the slingbox is used for? Also, explain the external hard drive...as I understand it...the ext HD can be plugged in on den dvr, record show, then unplug and hook up in bedroom to watch? How easy is it to plug and play?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Yes EXHD will work or you can hard wire TV2 from living room to bedroom and watch the SD output.

#3 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

...as I understand it...the ext HD can be plugged in on den dvr, record show, then unplug and hook up in bedroom to watch? How easy is it to plug and play?

Yep. That's the only way. You pay your $40, plug in a drive to the USB port, let the rcvr format it (can't keep anything else on it) then you have an entry in your DVR menu. It is easier than copying files between drives on a computer.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#4 OFFLINE   Daddy Freddy

Daddy Freddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, seems like moving the HDrive would be a pain in the @ss. If only the tv2 output was in HD, that would be great. Hard to watch SD after watching HD.

#5 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Moving the hard drive wouldn't be that difficult, you could leave 2 usb cables plugged into both 722k's and just move the drive back and forth as needed.

#6 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

Moving the hard drive wouldn't be that difficult, you could leave 2 usb cables plugged into both 722k's and just move the drive back and forth as needed.

Moving the drive is the easy part. It's the time it takes to move the shows on and off the drives that's the real pain. You need to plan ahead when making moves.

It takes long enough that if you start a movie in the living room, and decide to finish it in the bedroom, there is a significant delay while the move happens before you can pick it up in the bedroom. Much longer than is practical for such a situation.

But if you can plan ahead, and know at dinner time that you want to watch that show in the bedroom when you go to bed, then it is practical.

The TV2 output of the DVR is ideal for this situation, but it is only SD. If that's intolerable for you, then your options are to route a long cable from the TV1 output to the other room, but then you are limited to watching the same show in the living room and bedroom. That may not be an issue in the scenario where you want to finish the movie you started in the other room. But it is an issue if someone wants to watch a different show at the same time. One caveat with the long cable is that you have to be careful and do it properly -- HD can be problematical with long cheap cable runs.

Other than running a long cable, a SlingBox may be a solution.

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#7 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:58 AM

Thanks, seems like moving the HDrive would be a pain in the @ss. If only the tv2 output was in HD, that would be great. Hard to watch SD after watching HD.

Its not that hard, and you will find yourself actually having multiple EHD's anyways. Even with 2 DVR's in the house, I have 4 EHD's myself, one for everybody in the house, that way, everybody can save off there own stuff, and never have to worry about it. Better than having 4 DVR's.

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

I move everything I want to save to the EHD, keeping only TV shows I will watch in the next few days on the DVR.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#9 OFFLINE   tanside

tanside

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

sounds like paying for the EHD's might be worth it someday, i'm pretty good at keeping my internal drive clean, well sometimes it gets a bit full so i just get rid of some older stuff i apparently didn't really need anyways.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

A full length HD movie off a Premium channel takes, on average, 15 minutes to upload to the EHD. You do not need to copy it back to the internal drive of the 2nd DVR, you can watch it directly off the EHD. WARNING: Some posters have claimed that watching an event directly results in that program getting erased off the EHD. That has not been my experience. What I have experienced is the temporary loss of a program in the program list. The program was not erased, it just fell off the list. Unplugging the EHD's USB and reinserting will restore the full list.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   Daddy Freddy

Daddy Freddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

so...once a show is loaded to the EHD, I would then unplug it from Den DVR, move it to bedroom DVR and plug it in. I then can watch shows on EHD "right away"? It takes 15 min to download 1 movie in HD to EHD from DVR? Can you rec a show directly to EHD OR...do you have to rec to DVR then EHD? D@mn...15 minutes to move from DVR to EHD is a long time. I don't understand what has been posted about shows being lost on EHD? How many hours of HD can be rec on the EHD?

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

so...once a show is loaded to the EHD, I would then unplug it from Den DVR, move it to bedroom DVR and plug it in. I then can watch shows on EHD "right away"? It takes 15 min to download 1 movie in HD to EHD from DVR? Can you rec a show directly to EHD OR...do you have to rec to DVR then EHD? D@mn...15 minutes to move from DVR to EHD is a long time. I don't understand what has been posted about shows being lost on EHD? How many hours of HD can be rec on the EHD?

Yes you can move the EHD between ViP DVRs. Yes the transfer of a typical HD movie takes something like 15 minutes, but it doesn't prevent you from watching something else not on the EHD while that his going on. Yes you can watch directly from the EHD.

Dish occasionally updates the software and firmware via downloads from the satellite during the nightly update. Sometimes some "side effect" in a code update occurs. Right now the ViP 622/722 code has a glitch that unpredictably when you finish with watching a recording directly from the EHD will delete it or another on your EHD. They are working on it, but they don't know what code change caused it. This glitch does not apply to the 722k nor the 612.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#13 OFFLINE   Daddy Freddy

Daddy Freddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

thanks, can you rec a show directly to EHD? Or do I rec to DVR then EHD?

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

thanks, can you rec a show directly to EHD? Or do I rec to DVR then EHD?

No, you can't record directly to the EHD, you have to "archive" (meaning "move" in normal computereze) the file from the internal drive to the EHD.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

No, you can't record directly to the EHD, you have to "archive" (meaning "move" in normal computereze) the file from the internal drive to the EHD.

It takes awhile to move to the EHD, but you don't have to move a show back to watch it, you can watch directly from the EHD.

#16 OFFLINE   Daddy Freddy

Daddy Freddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Roger and Roger....thanks

spam firewall