Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Account Suspend Questions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

I am contemplating suspending my account once the NHL Conference Finals start - assuming Versus isn't back - and leaving it suspended through the summer until hockey season starts again. I have a couple questions.

Is suspending my account as simple as calling and saying "I want to suspend my account" and then in October calling and saying "I want to re-activate my account"

I assume that when I do I will lose all functionality from my receivers - no access to recordings and no access to my AM21 off-air tuners. Correct?

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#2 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

I am contemplating suspending my account once the NHL Conference Finals start - assuming Versus isn't back - and leaving it suspended through the summer until hockey season starts again. I have a couple questions.

Is suspending my account as simple as calling and saying "I want to suspend my account" and then in October calling and saying "I want to re-activate my account"

I assume that when I do I will lose all functionality from my receivers - no access to recordings and no access to my AM21 off-air tuners. Correct?

I believe your assumptions are correct.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

You must also have your balance paid in full in order to suspend.

#4 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

Your pretty much correct but I havent tried it myself cause I removed the STB to make room for my U-verse STB (which will probably also be removed soon too) and havent tried to run the DVR by itself. (I left content on it in case I return to Directv). Im doing the same thing and its fine. They gave me the date in which I had to call back to either reactivate it or cancel and pay my termination fee but it was a simple discussion with the CSR.

#5 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Every fall I suspend the DirecTV account at our family's cabin for the winter and there's never been a problem. (Our receivers are owned and we don't have any special deals.) You don't even need to talk with a CSR...if I recall correctly, you just say "suspend account" at the voice prompt and it will ask you to enter the date for reactivation.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that you can only suspend your account once per year, and not for more than six months.

#6 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

I believe if you disconnect the receiver prior to suspending you can also be able to view anything left on your dvr while it's suspended. At least that was possible when I suspended last year. I only used it for that for a day when I was leaving and got back a day early from what I thought I would but if you have a lot recorded you may want to consider that and possibly disconnect the boxes first so you have that option.

#7 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

What if the OP is still under contract?

Can he suspend?
Does the suspension time count against his contractual agreement since technically he is still a customer?

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

What if the OP is still under contract?

Can he suspend?
Does the suspension time count against his contractual agreement since technically he is still a customer?

He can suspend, but his commitment clock stops while the acct is suspended. It wont work to get out of paying ETF for less than the 24 months service. Technically they are still customers but they are non-paying customers during the suspension months

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Actually when you call to suspend, no outstanding balance on your account as previously mentioned, you'll be asked for a reactivation date, and as someone again stated it's only allowable once in a year and for no longer than six months.

And it's my understanding that in order to access content, the DirecTV DVRs require a satellite connection, which would reveal your account status as suspended. If you have a Vista Home Premium or Ultimate or W7 PC with a tuner card, you could feed the antenna to that, set up Media Center, and DVR to your hearts content.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#10 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Folks, I suspended my account in February 2009 and "unsuspended" in in August 2009. Based on my experience, I offer up the following:

• When you call to suspend, make very sure that you and the CSR are clear on the date when the account will be reinstated. Mark this date on your calendar so you don't lose track of it.
  • In my case, DirecTV automatically reinstated the account at the end of the suspension. The only way I knew that the account was being reinstated was when I received a bill. That's why it's important to record the reinstatement date.
  • If you call to "extend" the suspension, verify with the CSR whether or not they are actually extending your current suspension or initiating a second suspension. You can only suspend twice within a year (I think), so this is important.
  • I was still able to watch recordings on my DVR while my account was suspended. The trick was to disconnect my DVR from the satellite cables, telephone cables, and home network cables before I called customer service to suspend the account. My DVR complained about not being able to find satellites, but I was still able to watch prerecorded programs (none of which were recorded from premium or pay-per-view channels). It's possible that this ability to watch prerecorded programs while your account is suspended has been eliminated by subsequent software updates, so I won't guarantee that it still works.

Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

#11 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Folks, I suspended my account in February 2009 and "unsuspended" in in August 2009. Based on my experience, I offer up the following:

• When you call to suspend, make very sure that you and the CSR are clear on the date when the account will be reinstated. Mark this date on your calendar so you don't lose track of it.
  • In my case, DirecTV automatically reinstated the account at the end of the suspension. The only way I knew that the account was being reinstated was when I received a bill. That's why it's important to record the reinstatement date.
  • If you call to "extend" the suspension, verify with the CSR whether or not they are actually extending your current suspension or initiating a second suspension. You can only suspend twice within a year (I think), so this is important.
  • I was still able to watch recordings on my DVR while my account was suspended. The trick was to disconnect my DVR from the satellite cables, telephone cables, and home network cables before I called customer service to suspend the account. My DVR complained about not being able to find satellites, but I was still able to watch prerecorded programs (none of which were recorded from premium or pay-per-view channels). It's possible that this ability to watch prerecorded programs while your account is suspended has been eliminated by subsequent software updates, so I won't guarantee that it still works.

Thanks for all the help! I am still under contract but I have no doubt I'll be reactivating DirecTV on October 1st when hockey season starts up again.

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#12 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

A few other questions now that I think about it.

I have two AM21 tuners on my HD DVRs - will those still be functional?

Do I need to be certain to keep my boxes unhooked for the duration of the suspension or just while the suspension is in place? (I know I won't be able to view any channels this way I just want to know if the moment I hooked my DVRs up to the Satellites if it'll deactivate the boxes, thus preventing me from watching DVR and using my AM21's?

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

A few other questions now that I think about it.

I have two AM21 tuners on my HD DVRs - will those still be functional?

Do I need to be certain to keep my boxes unhooked for the duration of the suspension or just while the suspension is in place? (I know I won't be able to view any channels this way I just want to know if the moment I hooked my DVRs up to the Satellites if it'll deactivate the boxes, thus preventing me from watching DVR and using my AM21's?

HD Access is required to use the OTA on the AM 21. So suspending the account will cause this to not work. If you disconnect the box it will just last a couple of days usually until it needs to be reauthorized. Either way don't count on using your equipment if you suspend it.

#14 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:20 AM

Let me reinforce that my experience with watching pre-recorded programs while my account was suspended was a year ago. Software updates since then may have taken away that "feature".

As for the AM21, don't forget that without a satellite connection, your boxes won't be able to get guide data. The AM21 only tunes channels that DirecTV thinks you should get based on your ZIP code and that data is probably routinely updated. With no updates, I believe the AM21 will cease to function.
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

The HR2x series with an AM21 will not work for OTA without a valid subscription to DirecTV and DVR service.

#16 OFFLINE   NCDolphinFan

NCDolphinFan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWesley Chapel, FL

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Does anyone know if it is still possible to view recorded programs on an HR22-100 if I suspend my service, but disconnect the sat and network cables before calling in to suspend? I have the latest national release version for the HR22.

Will the R15 behave the same?

Just wondering if any of the software updates in the last couple of years have removed this capability.

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

Just for a few days...

#18 OFFLINE   NCDolphinFan

NCDolphinFan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWesley Chapel, FL

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

Well that stinks! Why just a few days? Is there something in the software that won't let the box operate if it hasn't had a signal in a certain amount of time or something? Anyone know of a way around this?

This is a situation where I will be moving in a few weeks and hope to be able to come back to DirecTV in a couple of months, but would like to watch the backlog of programs I've recorded until I can restore service.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

The box checks for authorization from the satellite every few days. If you don't have authorization, you can't do much.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall