Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBox 360 owner looking for the right kind of Baseball game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

I have no idea if this exists, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

When I'm in the mood for a particular kind of simulation game, I'm looking for non-arcade, non-twitch games.

In this case, I'm wondering if there's a baseball game out there that is licensed by MLB (meaning real players, real stats based) that is less about going through the windup and swing, but more about positioning fielders, putting on the hit and run, deciding when to steal, etc.

I used to play Strat-o-matic style simulation games (specifically Pursue the Pennant) back in the 1980s. On the PC (ok, it was an Amiga), Earl Weaver Baseball was my favorite. You'd set up the play and watch the results.

Does this exist? I want to know before I shell out $60. I know it MIGHT exist in existing games, but their advertising is all about controlling the swing of a batter or the twitching you need for the pitcher's windup, etc.

I'm more into strategy than tactics.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

I never played it, but MLB Front Office Manager might be the type of game you are looking for.

#3 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

For the XBOX 360 there are only 3 officially licensed MLB games...

MLB2k series

The Bigs series
MLB Front Office Manager

like Shaqdan said, MLB Front Office Manager may be your best bet...but I heard the game wasn't that good...but it sounds like it might be right up your alley...but, it is only 29.99 so it isn't that big of a dent in your wallet as a 60 dollar game!
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

I was afraid of that. MLB-FOM has gotten *horrible* reviews.

#5 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

An unfortunate side effect of the exclusivity deals that MLB has with 2K and the NFL has with EA is this...less diversity and abundance of games.

At least the MLB/2K deal still allows 1st party MLB games (like MLB10: The Show on the PS3). The NFL/EA deal doesn't allow ANY other NFL games besides ones made by EA.
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#6 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Sorry, I can't help with your search for a strategy-based baseball game. Just wanted to say hi to another Amiga user. I created an Amiga hockey game which was released on JumpDisk (if you remember that subscription disk service).

#7 OFFLINE   Luck255

Luck255

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

I was hesitant to reply because it's not for the 360 but if you happen to have a wii its a great game. "MLB Power Pros" It has a very deep season mode and you can go into each game and manage them. Defensive alignments, call for bunting, stealing, pitching strategies etc. In exhibition mode you even have to tell your relievers to start warming up. Sorry if this doesn't help because it's not your platform but I thought I would throw it out there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...