Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hdvrs gone from Costco?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

In the last week I have been in 3 Costcos in SoCal and none of them have any Directv dvrs. A couple of months ago they had tons of hr22s on the shelves. I asked the Cell Phone/Directv kiosk people and they didn't know why (they mainly set up new users only).

I was planning on buying my dvr from them as I upgrade to HD.
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hmmm .. Could be a run on them or perhaps there's a shakeup in the distribution chain at the moment.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:22 AM

I suggest you check your D* online account for Receiver offers when you upgrade to HD. Talk to a CSR and see what is currently being overed.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hmmm .. Could be a run on them or perhaps there's a shakeup in the distribution chain at the moment.

Or they're preparing to receive shipments of the HR24. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

There were still several HR22s at the Silverdale, WA Costco a few days ago.

#6 OFFLINE   rjc

rjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

Atlanta area Costco I frequent has been out of them for the past month or so

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

North Seattle Costco does not have any, but there is a sign on the cell-phone booth to sign up for DirecTV service. I did not bother to ask them about the lack of inventory.

#8 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

This isn't unusual. There are times when they are not available, but eventually they get more in stock.
The one we go to (in Henderson NV) has been out for the last month.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

Just talk to Costco's representative and a guy in cell/DTV booth - Costco will not carry DTV equipment anymore, the guy told to call DTV directly.

#10 OFFLINE   stilen621

stilen621

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

I just called our local Costco as well. They`re OUT. She said she hadn`t heard anything about not carrying them anymore. She also said they have ran out before. ???????

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Still plenty at my local Costco and Best Buy.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Our Costco still has the signs and information to sign up for DirecTV, but no HDDVRs on the floor. I hadn't inquired about the availability... I just peeked in when I was walking by and noticed they didn't have any stock on the floor...
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#13 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

The St. Peters, MO Costco had 8 DVR's left and the sign had the little asterisk in the upper right hand corner (which means the item has been discontinued).

#14 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

In San Diego on business, so I don't know what the Costco's here normally stock, but on Sat 27 Feb, in the Santee, CA store, they had 2 HR20's, in original boxes, stamped "made in China", and which I'm sure are refurbs. These were the only HD DVR's in stock. I haven't seen HR20's on the shelf (anywhere) in a long time.

#15 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

In San Diego on business, so I don't know what the Costco's here normally stock, but on Sat 27 Feb, in the Santee, CA store, they had 2 HR20's, in original boxes, stamped "made in China", and which I'm sure are refurbs. These were the only HD DVR's in stock. I haven't seen HR20's on the shelf (anywhere) in a long time.

Wow I'd grab those up if I were you.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

I was surprised to find that all of the HR22s were gone from my local Costco yesterday. They had been sitting on a pallet for a while now.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

I noticed that about a month ago. Not only were the dvr's gone, but so was the whole directv display; from both costco's i regularly visit.
HR20-100
HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   Ancient1

Ancient1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

Both Danville, (East Bay), and Manteca, (San Joaquin Valley), Costco's had them in stock last time I was there. The only model they had was the HR22-100. I actually bought one from them a couple of months ago, but never installed it, as I was still trying to figure out what was wrong with my HR21-700. About the time I figured out things weren't going to get any better with the HR21, I discovered I could buy an HR23-700 on Amazon. I got one from them through 6th Ave Electronics, at a lower price than the one I got from Costco! So I returned the one from Costco, and installed the HR23. The price was about $20 less, most of which was sales tax, but I think the actual unit price was also slightly lower.
Bedroom: HR23-700 feeding Integra DTR-6.8 via HDMI, into 42" Toshiba REGZA 42RV53OU LCD.
Theater: HR22-100 into Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, into Aragon 8008X3 amps, then into JVC DLA-RS2U projector.
Living Room: HR24-200 feeding Yamaha RX-A3000 via HDMI, into 55" Toshiba 55UL605U LCD.

DirecTV user since 2000.

#19 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

I noticed that about a month ago. Not only were the dvr's gone, but so was the whole directv display; from both costco's i regularly visit.

Could be a coincidence but I was in Sams Club yesterday and was approached by a D salesman asking what service we used. After telling him we were already onboard I asked him a few questions. He started in Sams about three weeks ago. He just does signups: no display, no boxes, no booth. He had not heard anything about Costco or HR24,SWM, Decca etc. He had the expected salesman knowledge. He walks around with a clipboard trying to get new cutomers. I wonder if this is Ds new sales plan for the club stores.

spam firewall