Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading & copying external esata drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

There is another thread about upgrading an internal drive in a DirecTV HR20 using linux Gparted Cd. I only have windows 7 and this is no help.
My situation: I have a HR 21 DirecTV receiver with a 1 TB external esata drive plugged in. It is now 95% full. I would like to replace it with a 2 TB drive that would have my old TV programs. The new drive has both USB 2.0 and esata ports. I could connect them both to my computer (external esata port and many USB ports). I can format the new drive in FAT 32. I have partitioning programs that will copy from one drive to the other. My question is: will this work? Do I need to buy a Ghost program? Or must I find a way to use the Gparted program. I would appreciate help from some windows person that has already done this. Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

Just burn Gparted or Ubuntu CD and do it. There is nothing to stop you: ISO - from Internet, process - here, pictures - posted, typical problem - discussed.
Go ahead and don't be struggled by your hostile [Windows] OS :D.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

It makes absolutely no difference what OS you are running on your home PC. The boot disk is just that, it boots to its own OS and allows for you to follow the instructions in the thread about copying, replacing, etc...

Quite simply, put the burned gparted disk in your pc drive, boot the pc and bring up the boot menu, F12, etc....depending on the model of your pc, tell it to boot from the cd, it boots to the gparted interface.

#4 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

I now understand that DirecTV HR20 receiver is a Linux box. I know that booting from a GParted CD is the only way that I can copy my old TV programs onto a new disk. I am not familiar with Unix syntax and do not expect to accurately enter the correct command without some farther explanation.
I have a computer with one external SATA port and of course USB 2.0. As my current external 1 TB drive has a eSATA port and my new external 2 TB drive has both eSATA and USB I will hook them up externally so they will not be SATA0 and SATA1 as in the prior discussion. How will I find out which drive letter Linux has assigned these external drives and how do I need to modify these Linux commands. Please be specific as I have not used a Linux command shell. (I assume that I should replace HR20 with HR21)

quote:
B) On the PC, connect the new drive to SATA0 and the original HR20 drive to SATA1 and boot up GParted Live CD.

c) You can use qtparted in system menu to verify which drive is which under linux. It is very important that you know the drive letter (a or b or whatever) that linux is assigning to each drive so that you get the sd(drive letter) right in the mount commands below. Normally with the new drive on SATA0 and the original HR20 drive on SATA1 linux will see the new drive as sda and the original HR20 drive as sdb - but you should check it to be sure.

d) Get a linux command line prompt and enter the following commands:

mkdir /mnt/fap
mkdir /mnt/hr20
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

(The next line will start the copying process and on my system took about 70 minutes to complete.)

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

(After the dump/restore has finished enter

umount /mnt/hr20
umount /mnt/fap
End quote

What is fap? Is it a constant or variable? Are the only things that I need to change are sda3, sda2, sdb3 and sdb2 or just the letters "a" and "b".? (and HR20)

And for the truly developmentally challenged (that would be me). I do not exactly understand the timing of this instruction: What is a menu reset and when is it too late to disconnect the power?

quote:
Step 2 - Perform a “graceful power down”

a) This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step – the linux mount commands will fail with a “Can’t read from Superblock” error if this step isn’t taken. It is imperative that both drives experience a “graceful power down” while connected to the HR20.
B) After the HR20 is powered off, turn off the ESATA drive and remove the bare drive from the ESATA enclosure.
end quote

I appreciate any help that you can give me. I am starting to feel that I can do this.
Thank you.

#5 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

Also when powering down, which LED lights are you watching the hard drive or the HR20? Sometimes the LED lights go out and then come back on later. How can you tell when it is over?

Sorry but I know this is all so obvious to the professionals that monitor this site.

Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

We have already long useful thread how to copy the DVR disks (actually a couple of them ) - could you please continue there? We not gonna re-post everything from there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...