Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x and R22: 0x03A8 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

This is the discussion thread for all MPEG-4 DVRs, software version 0x03A8.

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=173490

Issues Only thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=173488

Please feel free to discuss all aspects of this release in this thread. However, while a certain amount of ranting is expected, forum rules are still in effect and we ask that you refrain from personal attacks and statements you cannot defend.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Well, I don't see it mentioned in the release notes, but I sure hope this version fixes the frequent audio dropouts/video macroblocking/video freezing that I have been experiencing way too often when viewing recorded material.

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

#3 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

Well, I don't see it mentioned in the release notes, but I sure hope this version fixes the frequent audio dropouts/video macroblocking/video freezing that I have been experiencing way too often when viewing recorded material.

On both of your HR20's? I have a HR20-700 and haven't seen this problem at all.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,432 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

Besides some great MRV tuning, looks like DirecTV fulfilled another of our Wish List items with this release. "Playlist Sort Order: Alphabetical sorting of folders now chronological within folder" nicely addresses this long-standing request:

Always sort shows within folders by date, even though the PLAYLIST may be sorted sorted differently.

I just tested, and if I sort my playlist "A-Z", shows within folders are sorted by "Date (new)". If I select GROUP play, the oldest episode plays back first, as expected.

Nice job, guys! :)
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

Only on recorded material? Maybe defragging the hard drive would help.

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Only on recorded material? Maybe defragging the hard drive would help.

Just how do you do that? A hidden menu choice somewhere?

There's a choice somewhere that re-formats the disk, but that's pretty drastic.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   bagreene

bagreene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

The release notes only mention the features that were added in 0x395 relative to 0x368. Does anyone know what is in this release? Am I missing it somewhere? My hope is that they cleaned up some code to fix the speed issues that 0x395 unfortunately reintroduced to my system.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

There are no new features, this is a maintenance release.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   bagreene

bagreene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

There are no new features, this is a maintenance release.

I've been hoping for a "no new features"/maintenance release that worked on speed only for a while. It sounds like they cleaned up some MRV issues. Any chance they cleaned up some other code from the past release that seemed to slow down quite a few people's boxes?

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

I've been hoping for a "no new features"/maintenance release that worked on speed only for a while. It sounds like they cleaned up some MRV issues. Any chance they cleaned up some other code from the past release that seemed to slow down quite a few people's boxes?

There were a few things worked on under the hood, but primarily this release makes MRV significantly better.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

There were a few things worked on under the hood, but primarily this release makes MRV significantly better.

Should I send an announcement of this version out to LENO to put into HEADLINES....:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Just how do you do that? A hidden menu choice somewhere?

There's a choice somewhere that re-formats the disk, but that's pretty drastic.

In general, there is no need for this .. BUT ..

To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

• reboot STB via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
  • when they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
  • You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
  • select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test
Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

It is possible that there are some fixes that would affect speed, I think we'll need some reports from the field before we can say.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

• reboot STB via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

FWIW: they is NO WAY now to reformat a drive.
Should one try by: rebooting and holding down the record & down arrow buttons, what will happen is a disk scan that takes EVEN LONGER than the ones above.
The long tests above took about 90 mins for a 300 GB drive and this longer scan took over 2.5 hours.
No recordings or settings were lost here while doing this longer test.
[I actually wanted to reformat the drive, so was prepared for it, only to find out I can no longer reformat, which was also verified by a call to DirecTV].
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

On both of your HR20's? I have a HR20-700 and haven't seen this problem at all.

No, it's just been on the HR20-700. I'm really starting to wonder, based on posts in other threads, if it doesn't have something to do with DD5.1 over HDMI. My other HR20(the -100) is connected via HDMI directly to the television and has DD turned off and have not really seen this issue with it.

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

#16 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

I ran the surface scan test last Friday night. Started it before going to bed. The next morning, had live picture back on the TV. Didn't see any messages or errors, so I assume that the scan didn't find any issues with my hard drive - which I originally thought might be the cause of my viewing problems with recorded material.

#17 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

When are the H* series going to receive the update that includes MRV? Still waiting on it for my one H21. Any ideas?

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

When are the H* series going to receive the update that includes MRV? Still waiting on it for my one H21. Any ideas?

When you're on the list. It spooled last night also, so... "soon".
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

So maybe a bridged wireless G setup will play recorded HD shows beyond 5 ft from the router?:)

I would like to hookup the DVR's back up to the network wireless.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

So maybe a bridged wireless G setup will play recorded HD shows beyond 5 ft from the router?:)

I would like to hookup the DVR's back up to the network wireless.

"well if they don't", it's no longer a software issue, and is a networking problem.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall