Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2010 Pro Bowl - Hawaii Again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Part of an NFL Press Release today, 3/2/10:

2011 PRO BOWL TO BE PLAYED IN HAWAII WEEK BEFORE

NORTH TEXAS HOSTS SUPER BOWL XLV

The 2011 Pro Bowl will be played a week before Super Bowl XLV and return to Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii, the NFL announced today. The game will be televised live on Sunday, January 30 on FOX at 7 PM ET. FOX will televise Super Bowl XLV a week later on Sunday, February 6 from Cowboys Stadium in North Texas.

The decision to play the NFL’s All-Star Game the week before the Super Bowl for the second consecutive year follows a significant increase in viewership for the 2010 Pro Bowl, the first Pro Bowl to precede the Super Bowl.

The Pro Bowl format was discussed last week with the NFL Players Association and a group of players during a meeting with the Competition Committee in Indianapolis.

The Pro Bowl’s return to Hawaii, where it had been held consecutively from 1980 to 2009, is part of a two-year agreement between the NFL and the state of Hawaii to play the 2011 and 2012 games there.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Still stupid to have the Pro Bowl before the SB. Much rather have seen Manning and Brees instead of Garrard and Romo...

Edited by coldsteel, 05 March 2010 - 02:35 PM.
Fixed spelling error.

DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Still stupid to have the Pro Bowl before the SB. Much rather have seen Manning and Brees instead of Garradd and Romo...

+1

Doing it this way means that the only pros you'll see are ones that are not on the two top teams! Granted, there are great players on the teams that didn't make it to the Super Bowl but wouldn't you expect to see a few players from the Super Bowl teams in this as well? Kinda makes it the "Consolation Bowl" instead of the Pro Bowl.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

If the NFL must continue to have the pro bowl before the super bowl, i'd rather see them hold it in the middle of the season and possibly do away with all the bye weeks and just have everybody off at the mid point of the season and have the pro bowl the way baseball holds the all star game in mid season. That's what the NFL should think about.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

If the NFL must continue to have the pro bowl before the super bowl, i'd rather see them hold it in the middle of the season and possibly do away with all the bye weeks and just have everybody off at the mid point of the season and have the pro bowl the way baseball holds the all star game in mid season. That's what the NFL should think about.

With the type of game Football... there is absolutely 100% no chance that this will ever happen. The risk for serious season injury is so high.

Unless they want to turn the pro-bowl into a no contact, two-hand touch game... that is the only remote possibility that it can happen.

As for the doing the game the week before... either way, before or after... still isn't going to help watching.

In fact, I think having it in Hawaii, is going to hurt it even more.
A lot of players that have their private events at the Super Bowl (even if they are not playing), will pull out of the Pro-Bowl to do their private events instead of trying to do the crazy travel.

As for the Super Bowl team's players not being there.... You get to see them the next week, so to me... it really is a non-issue if they are not playing in the Pro-Bowl
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   dpd146

dpd146

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

With the type of game Football... there is absolutely 100% no chance that this will ever happen. The risk for serious season injury is so high.

Unless they want to turn the pro-bowl into a no contact, two-hand touch game... that is the only remote possibility that it can happen.

This is why they should just do away with it. Obviously they won't because it is a money maker but it is the only sport that the "All Stars" can't show their stuff (except QB's). Baseball, basketball and even hockey lend themselves for good competition without too much risk of injury.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...