Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR pet peeve...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimmerz

jimmerz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Why is it that you can start a recording early and extend one longer but you can not start one late or end it early?

I am recording one show at ten. I wanted to record another show at ten but because LOST goes over by 2 minutes it creates a conflict, Grrr.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

This kinda annoys me too. I record a lot of smallville on HDNet and since its commercial free while playing, it ends almost 20 minutes before the hour, so if I could set it to end 15 minutes early I could save 25% of the space each episode takes up.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

I am with you.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

It's annoying, but to me, my pet peeve is that shows are running over one to two minutes. I never timed it, are the actual shows longer, or is it 1-2 more minutes of commercials?

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:24 PM

It's annoying, but to me, my pet peeve is that shows are running over one to two minutes. I never timed it, are the actual shows longer, or is it 1-2 more minutes of commercials?

What do you think? :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Its just another way to cram more commercials in without reducing the amount of actual show further.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

You could do a manual recording on that channel if space is really limited.

#8 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

You could do a manual recording on that channel if space is really limited.

Do you have to redo the manual recording time with DST?

#9 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

A problem with manual recordings is that then none of the episode information is shown in any of the program info screens.

The lack of a end early option (and many other options that are not included in the half dozen pre-defined choices) could easily be fixed and should be fixed by providing a "custom" option in addition to all the per-defined options. Selecting "custom" would take you to a screen where any number of hours and minutes could be selected, as well as a selection of before or after.

#10 OFFLINE   OCMike

OCMike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I would really like the Directv DVR Programming to determine how a show gets recorded according to the priority I set in the Series Manager such that I could get a partial recording of a lower priority show. And it should do this automatically (I think the Cox DVRs did this.)

If a higher priority show begins while a lower priority show is going over the hour by two minutes, then it should stop recording one and begin recording the other as it's a higher priority. This way you could get 60 min of the lower and 60 min of the higher (or if the priorities are reversed, 58 min of the lower and 62 min of the higher.)

The whole idea of not being able to record a program at all (or even 98% of a program) if there is a single minute overlap is not well-conceived IMO.

Thanks,
Mike

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

I'm willing to bet network execs know that a one or two minute overrun will cause conflicts on DVRs and thats one of the reasons theyve started that stupid practice. The other reason being more time for commercials.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

I'm willing to bet network execs know that a one or two minute overrun will cause conflicts on DVRs and thats one of the reasons theyve started that stupid practice.

That is a well-established fact that has been mentioned in several interviews with the networks.

#14 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

I had this stupid problem this past Monday night. Law & Order moved to Monday nights and started with a 2 hour return from 9 to 11, conflicting with 24. Both conflicted with each other and as I was not about to miss 24 I cancelled L&O. Fortunately I had L&O to record on the kitchen DVR. Gotta blame the networks for this. Really ticked me off.

#15 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

I had this stupid problem this past Monday night. Law & Order moved to Monday nights and started with a 2 hour return from 9 to 11, conflicting with 24. Both conflicted with each other and as I was not about to miss 24 I cancelled L&O. Fortunately I had L&O to record on the kitchen DVR. Gotta blame the networks for this. Really ticked me off.

Networks KNOW exactly what they are doing, they know full well they are causing problems and could careless about it, as they want to force you to maybe not watch a competitors show.
One of the reasons I will always have an OTA option for recording of shows. Gives me just that little bit more flexiblity for doing things my way vs some network pain in the arse way.

#16 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

I dislike the soft-padding, I dislike using a software solution to get around a network decision.
but I seemed to be in the minority on this.
wish we could disable soft-padding, but just like the networks knowing what this does directv KNOWS we want this all the time no matter how we feel.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#17 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

I dislike the soft-padding, I dislike using a software solution to get around a network decision.
but I seemed to be in the minority on this.
wish we could disable soft-padding, but just like the networks knowing what this does directv KNOWS we want this all the time no matter how we feel.

Networks have been playing this game for YEARS, all the way back to the VCR days, it has just gotten worse with the ability to record 2-4 shows at the sametime. How is a provider supposed to help its users, to combat this practice by the Networks, without soft-padding of some sort?

#18 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

provider should allow option to turn it off to prevent the very issue the OP mentioned.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#19 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

provider should allow option to turn it off to prevent the very issue the OP mentioned.

OP
is actually looking for even more function, he doesn't want it disabled. Because Lost always runs late, he has set his timer for Lost to run long, by 2 minutes, and is willing to sacrafice the 1st 2 min's of a different show to make this happen. What he can't do is sacrafice the 1st 2 min's of a show, without extra function built into softpadding. Other poster wants extra padding like I want, and end a show early to stop recording, the extra 20 or so minutes I don't need/want. I believe with direct you can set the default just like dish to be 0 for start early, and 0 for end late, and modify each timer with options.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

I have timed it and it has always been commercials, "coming next week", and credits.

It obviously adds more content during the normal time slot the the overlap is never anything I'd miss.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall