Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Get PS3 or Xbox + Blu Ray

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Ok - need some advice...so for Christmas the kids got a tv for playroom and the xbox from my basement got moved upstairs (BTW - just shipped it out today for E74 error) So I am budgeting $300 to get a replacement game system for my basement but want a Blu Ray player as well. Never been a PS person so question is:

Should I get a PS3? Issue is that I will need new games but I usually just find one game and stick with it for a while (MW2!) - don't have to play all the time.

Get an Xbox Arcade and one of the Blu Ray players which are under $100.

I dont download much content except for watching netflix instant streaming so not sure if xbox arcade 256MB memory will support that or not. Dont want to spend over $300 for whichever option I choose (I know additional accessories like HDMI cable for xbox will go on top of that but I am sure I have some laying around here).

One other issue is that my receiver only has 1 HDMI port avail and tv's HDMI port is taken by receiver but I do have an HDMI switch that I could use if went with xbox/blu ray player combo but wouldnt have to do this if I got PS3......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

My wife and I were in that same 'boat' as well...except that my Xbox didn't break :) (though it did later and I was OUT OF WARRANTY boo).

We elected to get a PS3 since they dropped down to 299. We both really enjoy it, and even though I wasn't much of a Playstation guy as well, I've really enjoyed some of the exclusive titles they have (like the two Uncharted games and Heavy Rain).

I'd say get a PS3, only play the exclusives on it and the multiplatform games get on the XBOX...

The bluray player in the PS3 is quite good...though it is annoying that I 'have' to use the PS3 controller, just because i haven't purchased the Logitech dongle for the PS3...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#3 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

the all in one remotes dont work on PS3? I have the harmony 880

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

The bluray player in the PS3 is quite good...though it is annoying that I 'have' to use the PS3 controller, just because i haven't purchased the Logitech dongle for the PS3...

The dedicated BD/DVD remote is $20 and works great....what are you waiting for?

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

the all in one remotes dont work on PS3? I have the harmony 880

No you have to purchase an adapter for the 880.

http://www.logitech....ories/&cl=us,en
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

One of the things I really like about the PS3, no fee for playing online or for Netflix streaming (though the streaming disc is a little annoying.)

Some other things I like:

Hard drive is a standard drive and user replaceable. Comes with both ethernet jack and wifi. Looks better than Xbox (not a fan of the slim though.) Once Bioshock came out for PS3, just haven't seen xbox exclusives I couldn't live without.

I had an older 360, but the power brick was absolutely ridiculous, along with the proprietary cable connectors. Nothing like that on the PS3.

#7 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

thanks all - looks like I will go with the PS3

#8 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

You won't regret it. I love mine, dropped a 500GB HDD in it and have 10,000 MP3s, 25,000+ .jpgs and 50GB of HD home videos on it, plus stream Netflix, browse internet and watch blu-ray, not to mention some of the best games (Uncharted II etc...)
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#9 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

The dedicated BD/DVD remote is $20 and works great....what are you waiting for?

I have a Logitech remote...because I only want to use one remote...why would I spend more money on another remote that will be replaced once I get around to buying the Logitech dongle to use my Logitech Harmony remote? That is why I still use the PS3 controller.
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#10 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

One of the things I really like about the PS3, no fee for playing online or for Netflix streaming (though the streaming disc is a little annoying.)

Some other things I like:

Hard drive is a standard drive and user replaceable. Comes with both ethernet jack and wifi. Looks better than Xbox (not a fan of the slim though.) Once Bioshock came out for PS3, just haven't seen xbox exclusives I couldn't live without.

I had an older 360, but the power brick was absolutely ridiculous, along with the proprietary cable connectors. Nothing like that on the PS3.

There is a fee associated with it...just not on Playstations end...you still need to pay Netflix.
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver

#11 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

There is a fee associated with it...just not on Playstations end...you still need to pay Netflix.

True, I was referring to the Playstation end, but really didn't make that clear. What I don't like on the XBox side is that you have to pay Microsoft a fee as well since it requires Gold.

#12 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

The last time our XBOX 360 crapped out on us we were told it would cost $100 to get it fixed, so I sold the piece of garbage on craigslist instead (as a broken unit). We've been a PS3 (3 in our home) family ever since. Couldn't be happier. Built in Blu-Ray, free online game play. No issues (yet). Get the PS3, you won't regret it. Also, get the $20 bluetooth remote made by Sony. Well worth the $$. Using a controller to control movie playback is a pain.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#13 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:18 AM

Close to two years with my PS# and the whole family LOVES it!
Try running PlayOn from Media Mall to stream all of your PC media to the PS3, makes the purchase all the more worth while!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...