Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Signal Loss at Night-Locals Only Detroit DMA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stan227

stan227

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

My brother-in-law experiences signal loss for only Detroit DMA local channels during the day, clearing up and producing a rock-solid picture after about 8:30 to 9pm. HBO, CNN, etc. is available 24 hrs/day. His service address is in the Detroit metro area, however, the intermittent signal loss occurs at his lake house in a rural area in zip code 48748.

He owns a DirecTv SD system with only one TV connected to the dish. Other threads report a signal LOSS with locals at mid-evening. His signal for locals APPEAR only upon mid-evening and later. I am not sure of which receiver he has (I have a DishNetwork system). During the day he gets a blank screen when tuned to the locals, WITHOUT any sort of message.

I realize that he is most likely is at the very fringe of the Detroit DMA footprint, but that does not explain why the signal is dependable and only watchable after about 9pm. I'm thinking that the sun is a noise generator of sorts, and may contribute enough marginally to prevent reception of a daytime local signal. I don't know if the locals become watchable later in the evening in the summer months.

Any suggestions to prevent this problem would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

His service address is in the Detroit metro area, however, the intermittent signal loss occurs at his lake house in a rural area in zip code 48748.

DirecTV spot beam signals (local channels) are designed to be received at the address (ZIP code) where the service address is. Relocating a receiver to a "lake house in a rural area" or relocating a receiver anywhere other than the "service address" is a violation of the DirecTV subscriber agreement, and as a result signal reception is not guaranteed.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I'm going to presume that the thread starter isn't saying that he has multiple receivers at multiple locations without telling DIRECTV... because that would be against the Customer Agreement. No one would post such a thing in a public forum, would he?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...