Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installing a Dish 500 for 61.5 & 72.7???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bcsman

bcsman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Have a Dish 500 presently installed for 110 & 119 with legacy LNB's and a SW21 switch. I would like to add HD to my programming and have another Dish 500 with legacy LNB's I could install. I have a couple questions:

1) My position is mid thumb Michigan Lat 43, Long -83. I have elevation and mag heading info for each of those sats individually, but with a Dish 500 dual what would be my settings for elevation, Mag heading, and skew??

2) What is the best way to combine all 4 legacy LNB's to feed my 2 receivers, a 301 and 211K?? With the 301 still need the MPEG-2 channels.

Thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

D500 with two LNBFs is not suitable for 61.5+72.7 setup - one of the sat signal will be very low.
Look for D1k4.

#3 OFFLINE   bcsman

bcsman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

Have read something about separating the LNB's somewhat to expand the reach. Any truth to that or is this technique not feasable??

Thanks...

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,951 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

Have read something about separating the LNB's somewhat to expand the reach. Any truth to that or is this technique not feasable??

It is your life to waste as you see fit, but you have to ask yourself what you're really saving in terms of time and money versus what might be gained in the spirit of doing things the hard way.

If you have legacy twin LNBs, there's no reasonable way to adjust the spacing outside of moving the LNB in further from the dish. My theory holds that doing so will move the feed horns out of the foci of the dish.

In a world often involving Duo receivers, legacy switchgear is a pain that people should think twice about before bringing it upon themselves.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   bcsman

bcsman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

harsh,
Thanks for the reply I understand what you are trying to tell me. But also in this world of limited budgets and money I'm just trying to use the equipment I have without spending anything else on new antennas or LNB's.

But you are exactly correct with your information.....

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Well, it's not that hard; remove the plastic yoke LNBF holder ( hope your LNBFs are separate units, not Twin); use your own creativity to make own holder with wider gap between (check it on a ground first and adjust for better signal). Some ppl used hose metal clamps, some metal bars. It open for your imagination. :)

#7 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

An old legacy 64 switch could take the inputs from your 110 and 119 sats, as well as a 3rd input from 61.5 on your 2nd dish. Each lnb would have two lines into the 64 switch (hence the '6' in 64) and 4 available outputs to rcvrs. Probably easier to swap your existing dish out for a dish 1000.2. A dish 1000.4 will not work with your mpeg-2 301 rcvr. Only your mpeg-4 211k. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

D1k4 will work with 301, but channels in MPEG-4 ( not all of them on 61.5W, but 72.7W) will shows dark screen.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...