Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM21 Covered By Protection Plan?

deca mrv ethernet vod

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

I am wondering if anyone knows if the AM21 is covered by the protection plan? I know the internet connection stuff says right on the site that it isn't covered and it can't be returned, but the AM21 page doesn't say any of that. I know that the remotes are covered.

I bought one from a member here and received it last night. It appears that there is something wrong with the tuner as it does not receive most of the channels it should. I have another AM21 in the living room hooked up to the same antenna and it gets the channels fine. If I unhook the antenna from the new AM21 and hook it directly into the TV the TV gets the channels fine. It is just something with this AM21 receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

NO it is not covered

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

Responses in previous AM21 PP queries have typically indicated that the AM21 is not covered. It is reasonable to expect that the coverage status hasn't changed.

http://www.dbstalk.c...protection plan

http://www.dbstalk.c...protection plan

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

It takes a few times to get the AM21 to pick up every OTA channel. I had to redo my AM21 set-up about 6x before I got all my OTA channels. Reset it and start over.
Choice Xtra, HD Extra Pack, MRV, NFLST
HR24-100, Terk HDTVi, Panasonic TC-P60GT30, Oppo BDP-93, Anthem MRX-500, Paradigm Reference
HR21-700, Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

I'm not sure that is the problem though. On the few channels it does pick up the signal strength is around 30% lower than my AM21 in the next room (and around the same amount lower when I hook the TV's ATSC tuner up to the same RG6 cable). For example channel 6 comes in at about 95% in the living room AM21, and on the TV's ATSC tuner in the theater room, but the AM21 in the theater room only reads about 65%. Then there are channels that come in at aorund 50% that the AM21 won't even pick up at all.

I called the protection plan and the guy acted like he would set up a tech visit to have it replaced, but their computer system was down so he couldn't. He asked me to call back in a few hours. This seems very strange to me though since I have never heard of a tech ever even touching an AM21.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

There is absolutely NOTHING a tech can do with a bad AM21, because AM21s aren't stocked for or distributed to techs, and there are no settings or controls on the AM21 for a tech to configure. All a tech could do with a bad one is swap it out, but again, techs don't have any to swap with.

Thus, all issues with AM21s have to be handled directly with DirecTV (i.e., via phone and UPS/FedEx).

#7 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I would contact the PP people, I think that an AM21 would be covered under some kind of a warranty.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#8 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,669 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

How about if you swap the AM21's you have, then you can compare apples to apples?

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

I would contact the PP people, I think that an AM21 would be covered under some kind of a warranty.

He bought it used from a member here...I doubt its covered at all. There is probably 90 days from original date of purchase, but since he bought it from another member, its probably much older than 90 days

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

He bought it used from a member here...I doubt its covered at all. There is probably 90 days from original date of purchase, but since he bought it from another member, its probably much older than 90 days

This has come up before and the point of having the protection plan is to cover "all" your DirecTV equipment. Without the plan, the warranty is 90 days, from "new".
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

This has come up before and the point of having the protection plan is to cover "all" your DirecTV equipment. Without the plan, the warranty is 90 days, from "new".

As the links that I provided illustrate, not all equipment is covered in practice.

The website description speaks to cables, remotes, switchgear and the dish itself but the terms explicitly except "accessories".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

As the links that I provided illustrate, not all equipment is covered in practice.

The website description speaks to cables, remotes, switchgear and the dish itself but the terms explicitly except "accessories".

If you read your own links, you'll see where the protection plan people said it was covered.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, I really don't think the CSR knew what he was talking about. I'm still wondering if he thought I was talking about my HR21 or H21. I might try calling again later today.

I was going to try swapping the AM21's between rooms but haven't had the chance yet. I might try that tonight before I leave town, otherwise it will have to wait until Sunday.

#14 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Beerstalker:

My first AM21 did exactly the same thing; apparently some of them do go bad over time. The received signal strength on my AM21's meter gradually degraded to the point where I first lost my distant stations, then some semi-locals. At the same time, the signal strength on my locals was reduced, even though I was still receiving them. I called DirecTv and complained, but I still had to buy another AM21 from them for $50. The new AM21 received all the distant and semi-local stations again, so my original AM21 was definitely going bad. A few weeks later, when I was calling DirecTv about something else, the rep asked if there was anything else they could help me with, so I brought up my disappointment with having to buy an additional AM21. That rep credited my account for $50 on the spot and apologized for the inconvenience. Perhaps by now they have had enough problems with some AM21s that they will replace defective ones free of charge.

#15 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

The equipment leasing fee is for your receiver only. Leasing the receiver allows us to provide the latest equipment with minimal upfront cost, affordable upgrade options, and if the receiver fails we will replace it at no charge. The protection plan is also a great option to cover equipment other than the receiver. With the protection plan you will have access to service calls from a trained technician if we can't fix the problem over the phone, dish alignments, replacement of defective remotes and other components such as cables, multi-switches, or splitters, as well as free technical troubleshooting 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week

Remotes are considered accessory so is the am21, why wouldn't it be covered?

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

Remotes are considered accessory so is the am21, why wouldn't it be covered?

Do you really think you could reasonably operate your receivers or DVRs without a remote? New receivers ship with a remote. None of them come with AM21s.

How DIRECTV has treated customers pretty much trumps anything they seem to be able to put into words (either written or verbally). It appears that more than a few have not been able to wiggle free replacement AM21s. Of those who did, they would seem to be new or had experienced multiple failures.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...