Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

signed up for mlbtv.com instead of EI

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

It's on Netflix as an App so if you have Netflix I would think that you could.

The PlayOn software supprts MLBTV streaming, so maybe that's something you could look at.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

I had MLB.TV on my Roku last season and it worked great. If a game is already in progress it gives you the option of starting the game from the beginning or at the current inning. The only time you have to wait 90 minutes after the game is completed is if the team is considered local to your area. Games are available for viewing for about a week after they are completed. I didn't watch any games on the website, so it might work differently there. If you already have a Roku, I would definitely recommend it over EI.

#43 OFFLINE   bobcnn

bobcnn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

I just noticed that on the MLB channel on Roku, it used to say come back opening day to get channel update so you can watch your favorite teams. Now it says mid-April, and on the Roku website it says late April. Why not the start of the season. One of the main reason I got the box was for baseball (I do enjoy some of the other channels). I have signed up for MLB-TV, and I know I can watch it on my computer, but I got a Roku to watch it on TV.

#44 OFFLINE   car421

car421

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

I called last week to cancel MLBEI. Was going to make the switch to MLBtv due to the cost. I told the rep that I just needed to lower my bills and that was why I was cancelling. With out asking he gave me MLBEI at half price and credited me the difference on my next bill. It was nice to get something without having to ask.

#45 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

I have been dabbling with PlayOn over the past week and finally found a configuration that works great on all of my receivers. On Sunday night, I called DirecTV to cancel EI prior to the season starting. The rep asked why I was canceling and I told him that I was switching to MLB.TV due to costs. He said that just restricts you to watching games only on your computer. I told him that I had figured out how to make it work on my D* receivers. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes, and said, sorry to hear that, let me cancel that for you. I wasn't trying to get a deal or anything, but it just surprised me that I was on hold for that long just to cancel this subscription.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#46 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,556 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just noticed that on the MLB channel on Roku, it used to say come back opening day to get channel update so you can watch your favorite teams. Now it says mid-April, and on the Roku website it says late April. Why not the start of the season. One of the main reason I got the box was for baseball (I do enjoy some of the other channels). I have signed up for MLB-TV, and I know I can watch it on my computer, but I got a Roku to watch it on TV.

From what I heard, the company that was doing the streaming for MLB went belly up last year and they have been scrambling to get back to where they were with a new company. That was reported (albeit without a link) on the Roku forum.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#47 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,556 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

I had MLB.TV on my Roku last season and it worked great. If a game is already in progress it gives you the option of starting the game from the beginning or at the current inning. The only time you have to wait 90 minutes after the game is completed is if the team is considered local to your area. Games are available for viewing for about a week after they are completed. I didn't watch any games on the website, so it might work differently there. If you already have a Roku, I would definitely recommend it over EI.

I would not for a large screen HDTV. There are many artifacts and the PQ is just not up to snuff. If you are watching on a small screen or SD, go for it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#48 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Now there is a new element to MLB.tv which is exclusive to the PS3. There is a specific app which allows you to view games via the PS3. PlayOn is not necessary for to view games. With this, you are able to view games in full HD as well as choose the broadcast feed.

http://www.sfgate.co...&entry_id=61902

I'm giving it a try right now. It is much better than using PlayOn since you can control the feed as well as have additional interactive features. PQ has been good with minimal artifacts.

EDIT: I found this story online which provide screen captures from a PS3. http://www.hd-report...ord-review-wow/

Edited by AMike, 23 April 2010 - 02:30 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

I like the Boxee app and its sweet integration with MLB.tv. And when the Boxee box itself comes out it will eliminate the need to have your laptop / pc hooked up to your TV. In either case the free Boxee app is nice. (of course you still need to be a subscriber to MLB.tv)

http://blog.boxee.tv...he-first-pitch/

#50 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:28 PM

HD quality of mlb.tv via Roku player virtually is the same as watching it on directv. Just need a really fast connection. I have 22/5 tier from comcast but according to speedtest my downloads are 30 megs/second

#51 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,556 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

HD quality of mlb.tv via Roku player virtually is the same as watching it on directv. Just need a really fast connection. I have 22/5 tier from comcast but according to speedtest my downloads are 30 megs/second

Uh, no.

Not unless you call a slight strobe affect virtually the same or bad edges or mosquito noise around action virtually the same.

For a small TV, sure. Looks GREAT on my iPhone. But on my 50 inch SXRD, looks only close on still pictures.

But as I type this, I am watching a replay of the Phillies/DBacks and just seeing strobing on Chris Young rocking in the batters box, hardly high level action.

BTW, I have 25 down service from Fios.

It is watchable but to compare it to the DirecTV feed is a stretch at best.

#52 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

I just picked up an LG BD570 Blu-Ray player for my living room. Much to my surprise, this player had an MLB.tv application loaded. I activated my subscription and thus far I have been pleased with the PQ.

I know I am missing out on the game mix channel, but have no regrets for getting MLB.TV this season.

#53 OFFLINE   mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

I have been looking through these forums for an answer to my issue with MLBTV through PlayOn. Namely, the bottom third of the display is cut off which prevents viewing of graphics. I have spent time with PlayOn, and they say they are passing the complete video just as I would see it on my monitor. But this is not what I see when viewing on HR20-700 through PlayOn's MLB module. Picture quality is fine, but it drives me crazy that I can't see all the picture. I suspect that it is something that the HR is doing, and I see some cropping on HULU also, but not this much. Anyone else seeing this problem? I have tried all settings as to resolution, screen ratio, etc., nothing helps.
Working hard every day to stay retired!:
D* since 1994 Setup:
Den - H21-200 Sony 34XBR910
LR - HR24-200 Vivitek proj, Vizio SV420SVT
BR - H20 Olevia 26"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...