Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Dishplayer software Version 5720 spooling now!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 05:40 AM

I just read someone reporting getting an upgrade for the Dishplayer......V5720........thats all I know......could be BS.

I just checked my DP after today's (4/17/2001, 03:00am) download, and
it asked to upgrade. I allowed it to.

Version: Receiver: 115P (no change)
WebTV Client 2.3.4.3.1 (V5720), this is the change.

Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 05:59 AM

You beat me to it John! Yes, the 5720 software spooled this morning to both of my DP's. Didn't get a chance to play around with them but will do some heavy testing later today.

Will be interesting to see if anything is fixed.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:20 AM

I got the update this morning as well. I also received an email about the update. I did not get a chance to play with the new software so I don't know if the email is true or not.

I have been told that the new version of the software DOES NOT fix any of the bugs in the Dishplayer. Instead all that this update does is "makes the Dishplayer Spotbeam Ready" this is why the version number has a .1 in it. (2.3.4.3.1) (And also why the update was so small)

I have been told that the bugfix is still in testing stages and will be available "when it's ready"

Remember if what I am told is correct your heard it first here at DBStalk.COM! But also remember that I have not tested the new software to see what if anything is fixed in the software.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:34 AM

It now appears that the info I received WAS correct in that this software update was to make the Dishplayer "Spotbeam ready" and did not correct any of the problem that it was expected to.

My wife just called me all upset, the Dishplayer could only get channel 1 and 201. If she keyed in any channel all's that she got was black screens. All the channels were displayed in the guide again slelecting them gave her a black screen, pressing up or down on the remote switched her between channel 1 and 201.

People over at the other forum are reporting problems as well, problems which the fix was supposed to fix.

It again apears that the "Spotbeam Ready" update appears real because of this, eaither this or Dish Network sent everyone a placebo just to shut people up.

If you still see bugs with your Dishplayer please report them here. Dish Network pays very carefull attention to all posts here at DBStalk.COM.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:01 AM

Dan Collins has just confirmed what I reported here at DBStalk.COM earlier this morning.

This update is to help with the spot beam satellites (which should be in operation in 2 weeks) What is does is it makes the Dishplayer throw away program listings from local channels you dont get the spot beam for. This way the only listings your Dishplayer saves are the channels which are available to you.

So basicly this update fixes none of the existing problems.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 11:17 AM

Dish Network has issued the following statement about last nights update. I will comment on their statement in the next message.

Here is their statement.

During the Dishplayer nightly download on 4/17/02, Dish Network provided a software update (WebTV Client 5720) for the Model 7100 and 7200 receivers. This update is designed to minimize the instances of some of the more common issues with the Dishplayer software. Specifically, it should reduce the frequency of the following:

* Rapid flashing black screens
* Random listings information loss requiring retrieval of the 48 hour Electronic Program Guide
* Timers firing or ending early
* One minute recordings
* Hard lock up of the receiver requiring a power reset to recover
* Random resets of the receiver while using PTV functions
* Loss of EPG information
* Rebooting to the Welcome screen

We understand that this software update does not correct all of the ongoing issues with the Dishplayer, however, customers should notice a significant decrease in the occurrences of the above issues. We are continuing to work on the software to eliminate all of the existing issues and apologize for the inconveniences our customers have experienced. Specific feedback about this software update can be addressed to Tech@echostar.com.

Special Thanks to John Hodgson of DBSforums for the above message.

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 11:23 AM

Ok here is my thoughts on their statement.

With the words "should reduce" that tells me that there are no fixes in this new software.

When you issue a fix there should be no "should" mentioned anywhere, if it was a fix it should say "Fixes the following"

With users posting that the bugs are still there (including my wife) there is no fix. Again I call this update a placebo.

#8 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 11:47 AM

After getting the download this morning, the first thing I did was go to the 8000 locals. The Dishplayer rebooted and threw me back to the upgrade screen.

So much for that fix.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2002 - 12:32 PM

Will we actually SEE a diffference----let's say does the dish pointing screen look different.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 05:54 AM

Did anyone find their DP turned on this morning? I woke up and found both of my DP's turned on to the previous channel I was watching. Everything looked okay though. The 7-day guide had downloaded and all of the timers were still there. Weird.

#11 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 07:02 AM

Mine is occasionally turned on in the AM. I am not going to say it is supposed to be but it is not odd.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#12 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 07:05 AM

I got a chance to play last night with the new software. I unplugged the Dishplayer from the wall for 5 minutes before trying anything (I feel that for software updates a nice cold boot is good for the unit)

The only cosmetic change I saw was that the Getting Info Screen now said the download would take 8 minutes instead of 5.

I have seen in the newsgroup people saying that the response from the remote was better, on mine it was about the same running fast at times and being delayed at others.

I did not have any of the problems that my wife had earlier in the morning. All scheduled shows recorded with no problem.

So as far as my use is concerned everything looked ok last night. I guess time will tell.

#13 OFFLINE   Dmitriy

Dmitriy

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 02:00 PM

I didn't have any crashes, YET:lol:. But when I woke up this morning, I found my DP turned on.

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 06:14 PM

I have been hearing about this problem all over (that everyone woke up to find their Dishplayer on)

So far so good here. (Fingers crossed, knock on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder...)

I leave my Dishplayer on all the time so I didnt notice the power problem.

#15 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 10:06 PM

I think I jinxed myself. I just turned on the TV and I have a solid Pink Screen of death on my screen!

I had to pull the smart card to get rid of it. No buttons were responding.

I have seen the pink screen of death before, but usualy you see it for a second then the unit reboots. This one was SOLID.

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:09 AM

Every morning since the upgrade, Dp has been on in the morning, including today. Jackie

#17 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:24 AM

Yep. Both of my DP's were on again this morning. It seems that right after the nightly download they don't shut off.

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:26 AM

I too have seen this again---DP stays on. A monor price to apy but Ia m glad the DP is not in my bedroom.

#19 OFFLINE   markdube

markdube

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 10:38 AM

I got the 5720 "upgrade" 2 days ago - Problem free, except that - and I'll have to check more carefully to be sure - that the DP is on in the a.m. Otherwise, smooth sailing, as is usually the case. Admittedly, I have had a problem or two (probably three), in the past, but I have very few complaints about my 7100 (upgraded with a 40Gig WD HD). I routinely record shows (at least one on a daily timer) and have on only one occasion had a corrupted (1 min) recording.

Why is it that the VAST majority of DP owners seem to have contiunal problems - and of course I understand that it is those experienceing problems who will be making the most noice, but jeesh - if the DPs are that bad, why are there apparently so many of them still in use?

Thanks,
Mark

#20 OFFLINE   llunken777

llunken777

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 01:09 PM

Could someone explain to me what spot beaming is? How will it effect my 501? Thanks

spam firewall