Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Dishplayer software Version 5720 spooling now!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 01:37 PM

Here is a short hand answer. More info is available elsewhere.

Right now all channels are broadcast everywhere in CONUS. So that if you live in Detroit you could theoretically receive SF, Austin and Boston stations.

With E7 and E8 there will be spot beams aimed at different sectiosn of the country. The frequenceies used on the Spot beam covering Detroit will be reused in other spot beams but tehere will be different programming.

This will be used largely for locals. DTV already has one spot beam bird up there.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 02:46 PM

CONUS stands for CONtinental US, meaning that the area of coverage is the entire US. Spot beams will limit the geographic areas of coverage to "local" areas - i.e. people in New York won't be able to receive Seattle locals. Spot beams also allow (as I understand it) many more channels to be broadcast per transponder because they don't cover as large an area.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#23 OFFLINE   Dmitriy

Dmitriy

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 04:22 PM

Today in the morning I found my DP working again. No other problems except blackouts.

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 08:17 PM

Yet another morning with both DP's turned on. This has happened every day since the upgrade.

#25 OFFLINE   slojim

slojim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 12:18 AM

Chris, I've experienced the very same thing every am with my 7200.
No damage, but I prefer that it stay off to rest & cool off!
Never happened before this "last upgrade".
Jim

#26 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 07:08 AM

Mine are flakey too.....

#27 OFFLINE   RodP

RodP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 07:42 PM

My 7200 has not been turned off since it ask me to do the upgrade. I pressed home to bypass it. I have a reocurring 5 am timer so the unit is always runiing in the morning. I never turn it off at night since I use a sleep timer on the TV. I try to turn it off before I leave for work maybe twice a week. It appears to me that the system is more stable if it is turned off at least once a week. Anyway my unit has been great untill this morning the black / no info stuff showed again. I just did the upgrade tonight. Has anyone had any problems 24 hrs after they ran the upgrade??

Later Rod

#28 OFFLINE   toad57

toad57

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 01:51 PM

Ran into two problems with my 7200 this weekend running ver. 5720:

1) While flipping thru channels, unit powered down/up when going thru the 800x channels (west-feed locals)

2) After changing channel , I waited for the picture to appear- the instant that it did, I hit the RECORD button. The picture then went black and stayed black, but hitting OPTIONS revealed that it thought it was recording.

(I don't recall what I did to fix this other than hitting STOP. :confused: I think I then changed the channel down/up and got a picture again and successfully began to RECORD after that.)

I will be emailing E* with the above info.

My config: 7200 with 80GB disk drive, 119W feed only - no switches.

Mr. Toad

#29 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2002 - 04:49 AM

Not a single DP problem since the update (of course, I'm probably jinxing myself now).

Bob

#30 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:51 AM

I seemed to have the update for several days now. In fact the info screes said I did. But yesterday my DP hung up. I did a switch check. The first time it got to the Guide download screen it said it would take 5 minutes. But about halfway through it raced to the end.

I ran a second switch check. This tike it said it would take 8 minutes (which others have said is part of the update) and it completed normally.

Any chance I did not have the update till yesterday?:shrug:
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#31 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:03 AM

Another DBSForums.com refugee checking in........

(I thought they pulled the plug for legal reasons, they mentioned someone was trying to sick a lawyer on them for deleting one of their flame posts)

My 2 DB's have been MUCH more stable since the upgrade. I was using the 32768 code at least 3 times a week on each machine until this download (I look at 3 birds through an SW64 for those keeping score of the bug triggers). ZERO problems since the download (wait, I'm lying it lost all of my 61.5 channels 48 hours later, but a new "check switch" cleared it up without codes). No reboots. No pink screens of death. No missed recordings. No 1 minute recordings. No blinkouts.

Works for me. Now I can wait for the 721s to come down in price and work SOME of their new bugs out (cue the ROTFL boobirds) before jumping there. Network Waivers and superstations keeping me at E*, so no "Jump to D*!" responses please (part of me is praying the merger goes through just so those posts will stop)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   tubbyaz

tubbyaz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 11:46 AM

I certainly hope they don't rush a fix out for the power on problem. I much prefer the fact that my 7200 IS FINALLY WORKING correctly.

I was up to two or three 32768s a week, and the wife just glared at me each time we had to reset (we'd still be using rabbit ears and a 25" Walmart TV if it were up to her). Since the update, I've had zero problems. It works as well as it did the first couple months we had it.

#33 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 12:01 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk tubby. :hi:

Another DBSForums.com refugee checking in........

:lol: I've also refered to you guys as DBS Phreaks, none the less, Welcome Bob, glad you stopped in. :)
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#34 OFFLINE   RodP

RodP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 12:08 AM

Wow,

Thanks for the replies from my prior post:

“Has anyone had any problems 24 hrs after they ran the upgrade?? “

If nobody posted, I figured the upgrade was good so far.

If a lot of people posted, then the problems were still there, (we all like to complain).

I was surprised to see a few post and most of them positive! Time will tell!

Maybe now I can start selling my remaining DishPlayers that I have on hand since last July! (System has been so flaky I was afraid to sell them).

BTW, I think the DishPlayer problems may have been what got this forum rolling? That’s what got me here. Chris, correct me if needed.

Later Rod

#35 OFFLINE   LarryS

LarryS

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:53 AM

Here's another vote for not rushing to fix the poweron issue. I've gone a whole week without a reset. Last time that happened is when 5709/114 was released and it stopped when 115 came two weeks later for local must carrys.
Panasonic plasma 42px60u
Sony STR-DE925
HR-34-700
WET610N Wireless n connected to switch to DECA
AT-9 slimline dish w/SWM lnb
Harmony 880
HR-24-500 HDMI
Panasonic LCD TCL32C22
MRV

#36 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 02:19 PM

This is where I say ditto. Even though I don't subscribe to PTV, I have had fewer problems since 5720. I haven't had to reload the guide, haven't had a problem with pause or with the no information bug. My one problem occurred this morning, we lost authorization to our programming. I don't believe that was a dishplayer problem as much as a computer problem

spam firewall