Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20/700 w/0x395: S-L-O-W user interface response AND audio dropouts

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DChristmann

DChristmann

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

My apologies if there's already a thread about these sorts of issues.

My HR20/700 over the past few weeks has had issues with a ridiculously slow user interface response. When I hit GUIDE or LIST, it'll take several seconds for the DVR to respond and when I try to enter a channel number while watching a live or recorded program, it takes several seconds for each digit to show up, so it'll only catch the first and second or first and third digits and change to that channel. (However, when I do it in the guide, it works OK.) But many items are much slower -- changing channels, starting and stopping playback, and so on.

Additionally, when I'm watching recorded HD programs, I get random audio dropouts for several seconds, but oddly no pixelization. And oddly, I don't see this on SD recorded programs.

I checked the usual things, overheating and the hard drive. The system info screen is reporting an internal temperature of 120-125 degrees F, which seems to be OK from what I've read.

And I ran the following Advanced Diagnostics tests at reboot on the hard drive:

SMART short test: Passed
SMART long test: Passed
Surface test: Passed

I've tried an RBR and it doesn't seem to help. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is a reformat, and I don't really want to, for obvious reasons.

Does anyone have any ideas?

P.S. A final bit of info: The only things my DVR are plugged into are my my Samsung LCD TV (via HDMI) and my Toshiba DVD recorder (via S-Video/RCA audio).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

I have two HR20's although I have only experienced what you have for a couple of brief periods. It cleared up on its own. I remember reading here to try removing it from your network and see if that speeds it up, doesn't sound like a good solution to me, but some people had success doing so. If don't know if they were able to reconnect at a later time.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Sometimes the processor appears to be starved for cycles as it is busy doing other things. There is a new update coming down over the next several weeks, and it is possible that the problem may be minimized. One thing to note, the HR20-700 is one of the snappiest units, so what you are experiencing is typically much worse with some of the other D* HD-DVRs.

Hang in there, it should get better.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#4 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

I love the functionality of my HR21, but I hate hate HATE the slow as allsbay interface. I really hope a patch speeds things up someday.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

My apologies if there's already a thread about these sorts of issues.

My HR20/700 over the past few weeks has had issues with a ridiculously slow user interface response. When I hit GUIDE or LIST, it'll take several seconds for the DVR to respond and when I try to enter a channel number while watching a live or recorded program, it takes several seconds for each digit to show up, so it'll only catch the first and second or first and third digits and change to that channel. (However, when I do it in the guide, it works OK.) But many items are much slower -- changing channels, starting and stopping playback, and so on.

Additionally, when I'm watching recorded HD programs, I get random audio dropouts for several seconds, but oddly no pixelization. And oddly, I don't see this on SD recorded programs.

I checked the usual things, overheating and the hard drive. The system info screen is reporting an internal temperature of 120-125 degrees F, which seems to be OK from what I've read.

And I ran the following Advanced Diagnostics tests at reboot on the hard drive:

SMART short test: Passed
SMART long test: Passed
Surface test: Passed

I've tried an RBR and it doesn't seem to help. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is a reformat, and I don't really want to, for obvious reasons.

Does anyone have any ideas?

P.S. A final bit of info: The only things my DVR are plugged into are my my Samsung LCD TV (via HDMI) and my Toshiba DVD recorder (via S-Video/RCA audio).

Try using component wires on from the 20-700 to the Sammy TV? Sony TVs and Sammy TVs seem to have an aversion to the HDMI signal put out by the HRs. Just give it a try, you won't lose any PQ unless you go to 1080p. If that doesn't work, you might have a 20-700 slowly dying. Sad when that happens, but all electrical devices die after a while.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:13 AM

I have two HR20's although I have only experienced what you have for a couple of brief periods. It cleared up on its own. I remember reading here to try removing it from your network and see if that speeds it up, doesn't sound like a good solution to me, but some people had success doing so. If don't know if they were able to reconnect at a later time.

I've read about that too, but I've never had a problem with slowness on my 20-700s and most of them are connected to my network. Altho I think that's gonna change soon. Just went thru the On Demand offerings and saw not a thing that interested me. Don't need MRV. Getting to the point that I don't see a need to network them.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

My HR21-200 is doing it too. Actually I haven't noticed the audio dropouts like I was experiencing a couple of months ago but what I've notice is a HUGE difference in the volume levels between HD and SD channels. There always a difference but now it's even more pronounced. That and the extremely slow UI just showed up with the last update.

#8 OFFLINE   bagreene

bagreene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

Unfortunately this is a known issue. My HR22-100 has the exact problems you describe. I've had no luck fixing them. Firmware version 0x368 seemed to make it better for my box, but 0x395 unfortunately made it worse again. Here are a few threads regarding this issue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172412

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172395

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=149237

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=156109

#9 OFFLINE   DChristmann

DChristmann

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Try using component wires on from the 20-700 to the Sammy TV? Sony TVs and Sammy TVs seem to have an aversion to the HDMI signal put out by the HRs. Just give it a try, you won't lose any PQ unless you go to 1080p. If that doesn't work, you might have a 20-700 slowly dying. Sad when that happens, but all electrical devices die after a while.

Rich

Yeah, I tried changing over from HDMI to component today. It doesn't seem to help, nor does disconnecting it from the network.

At this point, I'm basically reduced to hoping that it's an issue with 0x395 and that it'll be fixed in the next software update.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I tried changing over from HDMI to component today. It doesn't seem to help, nor does disconnecting it from the network.

At this point, I'm basically reduced to hoping that it's an issue with 0x395 and that it'll be fixed in the next software update.

Hope so, for your 20-700's sake. I don't think that the next NR is going to address that tho. There's a sticky thread on this forum that discusses the next NR.

Have you tried pulling the plug on the HR and letting it sit unplugged for a while? You don't have the HDD filled up do you? That will slow down an HR noticeably. And that's normal for any HR. Pulling the plug will refresh the HR and you should see a difference in performance.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

My HR22-100s are/were doing the same thing. I have 0x03A8 on mine. I've given up on them ever being fixed myself.

I made them at least usable by disconnecting the network. I even tried just connecting two of them directly together but after a day or two the problems returned. With no network connected at all it mostly works although once in a while when I push a button on the remote they'll just stop responding for 10-15 seconds. It freaked me out at first because if you hit 'list' it stops on a screen that says there are no recorded programs. After a few seconds I'll get the list. With the networked connected, even just between two of them, the pauses and audio/video breakups happen much more often.

I really think we just need to hope for the future. I've been dealing with these HR22s for a year and half and think right now - with the latest software - they suck even more than when I first had the displeasure of using them. Only hope I have is that the HR24 arrives and works.

Hoping for a better HR24....

#12 OFFLINE   DChristmann

DChristmann

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Have you tried pulling the plug on the HR and letting it sit unplugged for a while? You don't have the HDD filled up do you? That will slow down an HR noticeably. And that's normal for any HR. Pulling the plug will refresh the HR and you should see a difference in performance.

Rich

Well, I had it unplugged for about three hours and just plugged it back in a few minutes ago, and so far, no difference in performance. Do I need it unplugged for longer?

It has about 92% free now, though a month or two ago, I had it down to about 20%.

This is rather puzzling, but I appreciate everyone's help. :D

#13 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

This is a bit of a workaround for the entering a channel. Try pressing <Info> or press the blue button and then enter your channel #. When my HR22 is acting up, this usual helps eliminate the channel entering frustration for me.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#14 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:20 AM

You could also try to clear the NVRAM/Flash. You need to tune the HD-DVR to Channel 1, Customer Information Channel. Let the channel completely load. You will be using the Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue buttons below the Menu button. In VERY quick succession, press R,R,B,B,Y,G. If done correctly, you will see "NVRAM/Flash is cleared" in white font in the lower left corner of the screen. If not pressed quick enough, either the mini guide or TV options menu will pop up. Once you see the "NVRAM/Flash is cleared" message, press the red reset button to reboot the HD-DVR.

Hope it helps, but regardless, please post if it shows any improvements in responsiveness.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Well, I had it unplugged for about three hours and just plugged it back in a few minutes ago, and so far, no difference in performance. Do I need it unplugged for longer?

No, that's long enough.

It has about 92% free now, though a month or two ago, I had it down to about 20%.

Well, the HDD isn't bogging down the HR. Should be working fine at 92% available.

This is rather puzzling, but I appreciate everyone's help. :D

Sure is puzzling. You might just have a dying 20-700 on your hands. Do you have the Protection Plan? Is that the only HR that you have? Can't imagine the sat feeds causing your problems, it sounds like the 20-700 is the cause.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

I've got the same problems with my hr20-700. They started with the last release. :mad:

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

I've got the same problems with my hr20-700. They started with the last release. :mad:

Huh. I've got eight of them and have no problems. Odd.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

You could also try to clear the NVRAM/Flash. You need to tune the HD-DVR to Channel 1, Customer Information Channel. Let the channel completely load. You will be using the Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue buttons below the Menu button. In VERY quick succession, press R,R,B,B,Y,G. If done correctly, you will see "NVRAM/Flash is cleared" in white font in the lower left corner of the screen. If not pressed quick enough, either the mini guide or TV options menu will pop up. Once you see the "NVRAM/Flash is cleared" message, press the red reset button to reboot the HD-DVR.

Hope it helps, but regardless, please post if it shows any improvements in responsiveness.

Ah, something new. What precisely does that do? In layman's terms, please. A WAG: It clears the flashdrive?

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Ah, something new. What precisely does that do? In layman's terms, please. A WAG: It clears the flashdrive?

Rich

You beat me to it. A nice nugget to remember. Reminds me of some old nintendo cheats.:lol:

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,962 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

You beat me to it. A nice nugget to remember. Reminds me of some old nintendo cheats.:lol:

Contra's was great! Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...