Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish guide question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

Recently switching to dish from cable, I was used to the moto dvr i had with my cable company. The guide had a feature where you could view the guide by channel. I cant seem to view the dish guide any other way than by time. Am I missing this or is it not possible?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:35 PM

Not possible.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

Recently switching to dish from cable, I was used to the moto dvr i had with my cable company. The guide had a feature where you could view the guide by channel. I cant seem to view the dish guide any other way than by time. Am I missing this or is it not possible?

thanks

Can you explain how the "view by channel" is different?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,736 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Perhaps the browse banner would fill the need.

While watching TV press the right arrow on the remote. You can look ahead on the current channel (one channel at a time) at the bottom of the screen. The info button pulls up more info on the highlighted program. You can also arrow up and down to other channels.

It is still time based ... not sortable by other means.

If you're seeking a specific program you can search. Press the left arrow while watching TV to pull up that option.

#5 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

Maybe look into Dish Remote Access (click here)?

If you have your DVR connected to a broadband line, it gives you a variety of ways to search for shows, and manage recordings and timers. Maybe something in there will give you the extra flexibility you desire?

If you could describe what you mean by "view by channel" maybe we can give you better suggestions. Do you mean to sort the list by channel name (something I've often wanted to do)?

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

If you could describe what you mean by "view by channel" maybe we can give you better suggestions.

I'm still waiting on that answer myself.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Maybe they mean where you can see what's on channel XYZ for the next 6+ plus hours? Like Tivo:
Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

That's pretty cool.

#9 OFFLINE   Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

Yes, the picture posted by sigma is similar to what i mean. I would not have the dual guide as pictured, just the right side. I take it its not possible as I have tried everything. Guess the browse feature is as close as it gets. Thanks guys:)

Is that Tivo box running on Dish?

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

That is TiVo guide for DISH.

#11 OFFLINE   Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

That is TiVo guide for DISH.

???

#12 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

???

The old Series2 Tivo boxes can control a Dish or Direct sat box by using an IR blaster cable. Tivo subscription gets you the appropriate guide info. You get choice of displaying in grid format or channel as shown in the pic above.

Unfortunately, Tivo dropped sat box support on their Series3/HD models.

#13 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Yes, the picture posted by sigma is similar to what i mean. I would not have the dual guide as pictured, just the right side. I take it its not possible as I have tried everything. Guess the browse feature is as close as it gets. Thanks guys:)

Is that Tivo box running on Dish?

With the Dish guide I think the best you can get is a 3hr shot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...