Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adding an HD receiver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

I currently have a 722 which feeds two TVs and a 508 SD receiver. What is the lease expensive HD receiver with DVR capabilities that I could get to replace the 508 so that I could get HD in that room (I just got a flat screen in that room). Also, what would be the additonal cost monthly (I currently only pay the $7/mo extra receiver fee)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

I suggest upgrading the 50 to a VIP612 -

HD Dual Tuner, same thing as the 722 but less HD space and 1 less video processing unit, so no PIP and no TV2 output but you can still record 2xDBS and 1xOTA at a time.

Price would go from $7 (508) to $10 (612) assuming the 508 is disabled.

Expect to pay for the upgrade:

Install Fee's:
$15 W/ Service Plan
$95 W/O Service Plan

Then the Upgrade charge and there will be a charge from $50 -> $200.

And it will required a 24/mo contract
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

A 211/211K with external HD would keep monthly bill the same as 508 but you would still have upgrade fees and a onetime fee for DVR capabilities.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,820 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

A 211/211K with external HD would keep monthly bill the same as 508 but you would still have upgrade fees and a onetime fee for DVR capabilities.

You need to consider whether the second satellite tuner and the ability to share an EHD with the ViP722 is worth the extra monthly fee.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Also purchasing the External HD and if the external HD dies or has issues it is not covered by E* and you would be on your own, where if the 612 HD died its covered by E*.
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

spam firewall