Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dvr r15-100

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beerdawg

Beerdawg

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

In one room we have a DVR R15-100 receiver and in the other room we have a D12-100 receiver with Tivo. My question is ,can I get another R15-100 receiver say from ebay, run another co ax cable from the splitter and use the current card we have and get rid of the Tivo. Or would I have get another card?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

Each receiver requires its own unique card and subscription. You can't move your service from one receiver to the other by moving the card.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

You would have to be super super lucky to pull that off, so don't count on it. Even if you could reuse the card, you would have to get them to change it in their computers, you can't just swap cards.

You need to call DirecTV and make sure they will activate the used receiver for you before you buy it. 1-800-DIRECTV, tell them you are a customer and would like to activate a receiver. This will get you to a representative. Tell them you are considering buying a receiver off eBay or whatever, and you would like to make sure you can use it. They will ask you for the receiver ID.

Always check BEFORE you buy it. If they seller won't give you the RID, move to the next one.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

Good advice regarding buying a used DVR - be careful. Plan on spending an additional $20 to get a new access card from DirecTV (a requirement when you buy a used receiver or DVR). Factor that cost into whatever you are willing to pay for the equipment. You might be better off simply ordering a DVR from DirecTV (which will be a lease, and will extend any commitment you have to two years from the date of the upgrade).

As to hooking it up - each tuner connection (2 on a DVR) requires it's own separate coax cable back to the dish, or to a multiswitch. You currently have 3 tuners (one DVR with two tuners, and one receiver with one tuner). There will either be 4 outputs from your dish (with one unused), or 2 outputs from your dish with coax going to another device (a multiswitch) that would have either 4 or 8 outputs. You need to run another coax either to the open port on the dish, or to an unused output on the multiswitch.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

And just to add to Matt's advice, when you call DirecTV request the Access Card Team. They are the most knowledgeable when it comes to activating an owned receiver, so they will understand what you are trying to do.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

I'm moving this to the SD receiver forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

And just to add to Matt's advice, when you call DirecTV request the Access Card Team. They are the most knowledgeable when it comes to activating an owned receiver, so they will understand what you are trying to do.

- Merg

They always get all uppity and insist they can help me when I ask for ACDT, and that they can answer all my questions. One lady was kinda rude about it too.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

- Merg

Not always!! They botched up my reactivation of one of my old Hughes receivers which I decided to connect to my stereo to listen to Sonic Tap. Three days later, it displayed an error code on all channels!! I called in and requested the Access Card department (because it was a legacy receiver) but the CSR asked about the issue and so I gave him the info. In just seconds he had the receiver activated correctly on my account!

So the moral to the story in dealing with DirecTV is once again-it doesn't matter which department you get or what useless options you try pressing on your phone-what really matters is WHO you deal with!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...