Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

West Chester PA has FIOS.

Yep - that's where I live (well, until next week when I move to Downingtown)... and we've had it for over 4 years. All of Chester county was among the earliest part of the region to get wired... um, fibered... up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

And yet they make money where their channel is on other systems like Chicago and Baltimore/Washington.

I don't know. Seems like they are limiting coverage of their own teams rather than drawing everyone to themselves. The Chicago teams, who are co-owners of CSN Chicago wanted to be on systems other than Comcast. So, are they cutting off their nose to spite their face?

Would you rather sell your channel for $1-2 per customer to competitive services (other cable and satellite providers), or drive them to your cable service for $75-125 per month? That's why content providers should NEVER be allowed to own significantly viewed channels. They have no incentive to share them or charge a reasonable price.

#183 OFFLINE   rkunces

rkunces

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

Would you rather sell your channel for $1-2 per customer to competitive services (other cable and satellite providers), or drive them to your cable service for $75-125 per month? That's why content providers should NEVER be allowed to own significantly viewed channels. They have no incentive to share them or charge a reasonable price.

Which makes the whole NBC/Comcast takeover ever more interesting of a predicament.

#184 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,643 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Well, you get a buck or two for every subscriber in the area on every system versus how many actually go with you because you have the local RSN. You cannot assume that the math is that simple. Plus, it has been proven over and over again that sports on TV is a big advertisement for the teams themselves. They lose eyeballs for every DirecTV or Dish customer for that advertising. Plus commercial time drops because the households that can watch are lower.

It is far from just $1 versus $75. That is what I am saying. Comcast is taking that simple number and not figuring out the whole thing. And yet, somehow, they manage to survive in the Mid Atlantic, Chicago, the Bay Area, New York City. All areas they are on multiple systems. And remember, it was the teams themselves that insisted that CSN Chicago be available to all. Guess it means a lot to them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#185 OFFLINE   1kyardstare

1kyardstare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Not sure if this has been posted here: http://www.dslreport...876?nocomment=1

An excerpt of the link states: "According to a copy of the petition obtained by Multichannel News, Cablevision is appealing "on the grounds that the Order exceeds the Commission's jurisdiction and authority; is contrary to constitutional right; violates the Communications Act of 1934, the Administrative Procedure Act, or other statutes; and is arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion, or otherwise contrary to law." Rather than appealing the decision with the FCC, the company went straight to the court, according to a source. The petition to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit was filed March 15. A Cablevision spokesperson had no comment."

I am guessing Comcast (Philly) will stay mute and hope that their brethren prevail in the courts system while Comcast concentrates on absorbing NBCU.

My Philly natural pessimism tells me no Philly Sportsnet (networks) on D*.

#186 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

na what i was referring to with fios was my friend ryan who lives right off of macdade his area finally is getting FIOS, i know west chester gets fios i had deliveries to the concord auto shop right at 322 and rt 1 they have fios.

what i should have said was philadelphia county to this day still doesnt have fios.

but now TCN is on fios channel 99.

i emailed directv just to see what they had to say about the fcc ruling in jan below is what they sent me of course its the year book answer. but as of know they have the right to get the channel.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
CSN PHILADELPHIA

Discussion Thread
Response (Anthony D. - 100134632) - 04/15/2010 10:10 AM Dear Mr. Adelman,

Thanks for writing and for giving us the opportunity to assist you. I understand how important Comcast Sports Network is to you. Allow me to provide you with some helpful information.

The recent FCC ruling may allow us to carry additional channels but we are required to follow specific FCC guidelines before we can make any changes to our programming. We are working with the FCC on this process and we hope to have more information in the near future.

Sincerely,

Anthony D.
Employee ID 100134632
DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

Customer (Louis Adelman) - 04/15/2010 10:06 AM Hi, I heard the FCC ruled in favor of directv and they now have the option of getting Comcast sports net philadelphia.

I wanted to know if their is a launch date?

fcc ruled that comcast must share its regional sports network to directv.

comcast airs 2 channels that show philadelphia regional sports

CSN Philadelphia and TCN the comcast network basically an alternate.

does directv plan on adding it for the customers in this area.

please dont send me and usual were working on it please ask and executive and get a real answer

#187 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

ok

#188 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

na what i was referring to with fios was my friend ryan who lives right off of macdade his area finally is getting FIOS, i know west chester gets fios i had deliveries to the concord auto shop right at 322 and rt 1 they have fios.

what i should have said was philadelphia county to this day still doesnt have fios.

but now TCN is on fios channel 99.

i emailed directv just to see what they had to say about the fcc ruling in jan below is what they sent me of course its the year book answer. but as of know they have the right to get the channel.

Subject
CSN PHILADELPHIA

Discussion Thread
Response (Anthony D. - 100134632) - 04/15/2010 10:10 AM Dear Mr. Adelman,

Thanks for writing and for giving us the opportunity to assist you. I understand how important Comcast Sports Network is to you. Allow me to provide you with some helpful information.

The recent FCC ruling may allow us to carry additional channels but we are required to follow specific FCC guidelines before we can make any changes to our programming. We are working with the FCC on this process and we hope to have more information in the near future.

Sincerely,

Anthony D.
Employee ID 100134632
DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

Customer (Louis Adelman) - 04/15/2010 10:06 AM Hi, I heard the FCC ruled in favor of directv and they now have the option of getting Comcast sports net philadelphia.

I wanted to know if their is a launch date?

fcc ruled that comcast must share its regional sports network to directv.

comcast airs 2 channels that show philadelphia regional sports

CSN Philadelphia and TCN the comcast network basically an alternate.

does directv plan on adding it for the customers in this area.

please dont send me and usual were working on it please ask and executive and get a real answer

I was confused by your initial post, which is why I replied as I did. I thought I read it to say that Chester county JUST got FiOS, which isn't correct. However on your basic questions for DirecTV, it really comes down to a couple things:

1) How will the CV lawsuit play out? Until that's settled, don't expect ANY movement with CSN Philly on DirecTV. The courts will basically 'stay' the closure of the loophole pending resolution of the court case. I suspect the decision could happen pretty quickly. You're just dealing with a basic constitutional issue here - does the FCC have the authority to close the loophole or not? If the court rules in the FCC's favor, expect CV to appeal... and at that point I think it's over. The highest it MIGHT go would be the DC court of appeals, which is one step below the Supreme Court. It might make it to the appeals court, but they would likely just affirm what the lower court found... if they took the appeal at all.

2) Does DirecTV want to add TCN? As has been stated before, that channel is open to all providers right now. DirecTV could add that today if they wanted. I get the sense that they don't have the room for it, or you would have it already. But who knows? Verizon certainly surprised us with the addition of the channel just recently - there was no indication that it was going to happen, and even after it did happen, there was little fanfare - just a small announcement on our cable boxes about the addition of the channel, and a quick press-release. That was it. Most customers still don't know that it's there (one co-worker, another FiOS subscriber, was complaining that he couldn't watch the Phillies the other day because they were on TCN... when I explained to him 'um... tune to channel 99... Verizon just added the channel.'

#189 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

I have a question on the Comcast Philly situation. I have a friend in Central Pennsylvania who has DirecTV. His zip is 17022. His RSN's are Washington Area & Pittsburgh. Of course he'd love to get Comcast Philadelphia, as would I here in Florida. If he purchased MLB EI, will he get Phillies games on the non-Philly channels? Flyers on CI?

#190 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

according to mlb.com i enter zip code 17022 and you are in 4 teams market that it will be blacked out on mlb EI unless you are away from this area.

philadelphia phillies
pittsburgh pirates
washington nationals
baltimore orioles

for florida you are set except for any games that play on FS florida or sun sports depending where you are in fla.

Example the Marlins @ Phillies this week so if you have MLB EI you would have to watch on FSN FLorida.

17022 is elizabethtown a suburb of harrisburgh

i checked comcast lineup for that area and these are your sports networks some are in SD and some in HD which is weird but this is whats on the lineup

SD
TCN ch 8
CSN Philly 49
FSN pittsburgh 50

HD
CSN PHILLY
TCN
MASN
MASN 2

FSN HD PITT is missing for somereason and Masn SD i smissing not sure why but tell who lives in 17022 they will need and HDTV to have it all.

I checked directv local RSN and you get

with any base directv package

MASN and masn 2 SD and HD

with the premier you also get

FSN PITT both in SD and HD

but no TCN and CSN

if you live in 17022 and have mlb EI you will be blacked out of those 4 teams.

so if the person living i 17022 wants it all they need a HDTV and Comcast and MLB EI they will have it all.

#191 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

I was confused by your initial post, which is why I replied as I did. I thought I read it to say that Chester county JUST got FiOS, which isn't correct. However on your basic questions for DirecTV, it really comes down to a couple things:

1) How will the CV lawsuit play out? Until that's settled, don't expect ANY movement with CSN Philly on DirecTV. The courts will basically 'stay' the closure of the loophole pending resolution of the court case. I suspect the decision could happen pretty quickly. You're just dealing with a basic constitutional issue here - does the FCC have the authority to close the loophole or not? If the court rules in the FCC's favor, expect CV to appeal... and at that point I think it's over. The highest it MIGHT go would be the DC court of appeals, which is one step below the Supreme Court. It might make it to the appeals court, but they would likely just affirm what the lower court found... if they took the appeal at all.

2) Does DirecTV want to add TCN? As has been stated before, that channel is open to all providers right now. DirecTV could add that today if they wanted. I get the sense that they don't have the room for it, or you would have it already. But who knows? Verizon certainly surprised us with the addition of the channel just recently - there was no indication that it was going to happen, and even after it did happen, there was little fanfare - just a small announcement on our cable boxes about the addition of the channel, and a quick press-release. That was it. Most customers still don't know that it's there (one co-worker, another FiOS subscriber, was complaining that he couldn't watch the Phillies the other day because they were on TCN... when I explained to him 'um... tune to channel 99... Verizon just added the channel.'

Is TCN a local area only channel?

Also I don't think they need TCN to CSN + / CSN overflow.

For 2+ years CSN CHI + and CSN + uses CLTV and CLTV was comcast only for a long time.

CSN, CSN HD, CSN + , CSN + HD and CSN alt 2 are on Directv.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#192 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

ill say by september csn will be on D

Nope, 1st quarter of 2011.

#193 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

csn-p will be on D* when the Delaware River freezes over...

#194 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Is TCN a local area only channel?

Also I don't think they need TCN to CSN + / CSN overflow.

For 2+ years CSN CHI + and CSN + uses CLTV and CLTV was comcast only for a long time.

CSN, CSN HD, CSN + , CSN + HD and CSN alt 2 are on Directv.

It's a local Comcast channel. It used to be called CN8, and only used to have local interest stuff on it. Comcast got rid of CN8, made it The Comcast Network, and added an HD feed, and now they use it as an overflow channel for CSN Philly.

#195 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

It's a local Comcast channel. It used to be called CN8, and only used to have local interest stuff on it. Comcast got rid of CN8, made it The Comcast Network, and added an HD feed, and now they use it as an overflow channel for CSN Philly.

Is HD full time or just game only.

In Chicago on comcast CSN + HD is also called info HD and just has looping help videos when there are no games on.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#196 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

joe TCN is in HD channel 856 on comcast lineups in philly

#197 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

So, this December, then?

At least up by Washington Crossing -- seems like they cancel the reenactment every other year due to ice in the river (yes, that irony is not lost on me).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#198 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

jay i hope your right on first qtr 2011, but the signs do point in it becoming a reality.

maybe TCN being on FIOS now is just the begning. i didnt think i actually see TCN the comcast network on FIOS. But it is.

#199 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

another winter like we just had and we may see it :lol:
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#200 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

we philly went through about 20 noreasters this winter how about another 20 for next year

Protected By... spam firewall...And...