Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#2001 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Any cons why I shouldn't jump ship at this point?

Ive got both, and I cant think of any reason. I use a Tivo Premier (bought the cheap one and upgraded the internal drive myself, then got lifetime DVR on it). PQ is good, channel selection is good, and the two year price lock in is great if you get the Digital Preferred.

Just remember they will charge you extra (or they do here, not sure about there) for the cablecard/HD. Its $8.50 per cablecard here for HD in addition to the package deal price.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2002 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Dave- go for it and let us know how it works out. I am tired of the drama and lack of apparent desire for D* to add CSN Philly

DirecTV customer since 1996

#2003 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

once and awhile i get stuck in this horrid situation it gets me fuming so i come here to look for updates. i pay for service electric cable on top of dtv @ $60/month for HD for ONE channel (CSN) and tonight they put devils/flyers on TCN so they can show boxing on CSN??? super...
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#2004 OFFLINE   joewdial

joewdial

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

PSU,

Can you get fios? I was able to get the Fios tripple play for 79.99 which is the same price i had for the double play. It includes both CSn and TCN (TCN only in SD), and i didnt increase my monthly costs. That gives me 2 years at that rate, and i get to keep both. Maybe in 2 years this will all be worked out.

Also, i notice on Fios that CSN is actually a bit blocky looking. I dont see this on other channels. I wonder if Comcast gives fios a crappier looking picture...

#2005 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

PSU,

Can you get fios? I was able to get the Fios tripple play for 79.99 which is the same price i had for the double play. It includes both CSn and TCN (TCN only in SD), and i didnt increase my monthly costs. That gives me 2 years at that rate, and i get to keep both. Maybe in 2 years this will all be worked out.

Also, i notice on Fios that CSN is actually a bit blocky looking. I dont see this on other channels. I wonder if Comcast gives fios a crappier looking picture...

**** is beyond ridiculous... A replay of a boxing match that probably happened more then six months ago takes precedence over a Flyers game? Really Comcast?

#2006 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

once and awhile i get stuck in this horrid situation it gets me fuming so i come here to look for updates. i pay for service electric cable on top of dtv @ $60/month for HD for ONE channel (CSN) and tonight they put devils/flyers on TCN so they can show boxing on CSN??? super...

service electric cable has The Comcast Network HD
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2007 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

pay for service electric cable on top of dtv @ $60/month for HD for ONE channel (CSN)

At least you have that option. Here is Cecil County Maryland, only CSN Midatlantic is offered on DTV, Dish and Comcrap. On top of that on NHL Center Ice all Philadelphia games are blacked out. Only national games involving Philadelphia that are on NBC can be seen. What a joke!

p.s. No chance FiOS will be coming here.

#2008 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Here is what I got from the Office of the President at D* after pitching a fit about CSN Philly:

"Due to the sensitive nature of programming negotiations, we are unable to provide an estimate of when CSN Philadelphia will be available on DIRECTV. We understand this service is important to DIRECTV sports fans in the Philadelphia area and are making every effort to conclude negotiations as soon as possible."

Whether this is another line to get me to wait and get disappointed is beyond me, but is more information than I have ever gotten. Thoughts?

#2009 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Nothing has changed.. That's my thoughts...

#2010 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Still doesn't mean D* will every carry CSN Philly, but at least they reworded their response as that they know people are asking for this network and it appears that there is a negotiation in progress. I still won't believe it until I see CSN Philly on my TV or if SR tells us so.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2011 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thats my feeling as well....For me, they have until 4/30......if nothing has changed by then, I'm out. I refuse to miss the Phillies and the Flyers playoff games again.

#2012 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Philly Union on Direct TV this evening!! CSN Chicago feed..

#2013 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

http://www.fcc.gov/d...cess-rules-nprm

I've read about halfway thru this and its putting me to sleep. Looks like they're just rehashing all the same stuff. Government in Action!
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#2014 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Thats my feeling as well....For me, they have until 4/30......if nothing has changed by then, I'm out. I refuse to miss the Phillies and the Flyers playoff games again.

Might as well switch now, because it's not going to happen.

#2015 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

http://www.fcc.gov/d...cess-rules-nprm

I've read about halfway thru this and its putting me to sleep. Looks like they're just rehashing all the same stuff. Government in Action!

I wonder if there's an English version available.

#2016 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Might as well switch now, because it's not going to happen.

If the playoffs is all he cares about, how about the cheapest cable they can get for just the playoffs, suspend DirecTV while they are on, and then cancel the service as soon as the playoffs are over and return to DirecTV. Kind of screwed both companies that way by not letting either one get all your money.

Playoffs anymore or getting to be more and more on national tv too....

#2017 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

I care about the NHL playoffs but want the full Phillies season

#2018 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I care about the NHL playoffs but want the full Phillies season

Ah... Well since the season is longer than six months, I don't think you can suspend for the entire season and switch back and forth... I'd probably either switch, or get the cheapest package that allows me to get both services that covers everything I want, it that's possible, although I doubt it....

#2019 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Wow. Those in the Philly DMA are really hosed now with no CSN, no TCN, and now no PHL with the Tribune blackout... Good thing I have an antenna and additionally get WLYH.

#2020 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

I've purchased an AM21 and OTA equipment right around the time FOX had a dispute with D*, simply as a backup. While I know that is a non-starter for those in Philly, I suspect that there are plenty that aren't pleased and at most would likely find themselves using alternate means of watching Phillies games on PHL17. My personal favorite is Chickies & Pete's, but I digress.

But even though I follow the Yankees more than I do the Phillies I have seriously thought about filing complaints the old fashioned way, hand-written and addressed to those concerned. I had enough of voicing complaints to CSRs and spokesmouths as I believe my words went to a dustbin. I know there is a decision-maker that has to see things with their own eyes.

Wow. Those in the Philly DMA are really hosed now with no CSN, no TCN, and now no PHL with the Tribune blackout... Good thing I have an antenna and additionally get WLYH.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...