Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#2021 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

PSU,

Can you get fios? I was able to get the Fios tripple play for 79.99 which is the same price i had for the double play. It includes both CSn and TCN (TCN only in SD), and i didnt increase my monthly costs. That gives me 2 years at that rate, and i get to keep both. Maybe in 2 years this will all be worked out.

Also, i notice on Fios that CSN is actually a bit blocky looking. I dont see this on other channels. I wonder if Comcast gives fios a crappier looking picture...

no fios for me, probably will be a longgggg time before that would happen

service electric cable has The Comcast Network HD

some service electric providers do, birdsboro office does not. www.secv.com

At least you have that option. Here is Cecil County Maryland, only CSN Midatlantic is offered on DTV, Dish and Comcrap. On top of that on NHL Center Ice all Philadelphia games are blacked out. Only national games involving Philadelphia that are on NBC can be seen. What a joke!

p.s. No chance FiOS will be coming here.

if the caps are your regional hockey team, then why would flyers black out on center ice? provided you have sportspack as well as ci, i think you might get around it
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2022 OFFLINE   sd610

sd610

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

This crap with PHL 17 might be the last straw for me. I don't watch alot of TV, but what I watch are my local sports teams, and I can't do that anymore. It may be knee-jerk, but I csn see (gasp) a call to Service Electric in my future.

#2023 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

no fios for me, probably will be a longgggg time before that would happen

some service electric providers do, birdsboro office does not. www.secv.com

if the caps are your regional hockey team, then why would flyers black out on center ice? provided you have sportspack as well as ci, i think you might get around it

The Flyers are blacked out because it is considered in market. It doesn't matter if your provider does not offer CSN Philly. If DirecTV offered CSN Philly, then the games would be available.

Edited by adkinsjm, 02 April 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#2024 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

The Flyers are blacked out because it is considered in market. It doesn't matter if your provider does not offer CSN Philly. If DirecTV offered CSN Philly, then the games would be available.

there was a way around it for baseball, my local rsn is masn so i get orioles and nats games so if i got mlb extra innings, i could watch ALL phillies games. i may do this again since weve now lost phl17. my point is if you get csn-dc in your area, it may work for flyers.
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#2025 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

there was a way around it for baseball, my local rsn is masn so i get orioles and nats games so if i got mlb extra innings, i could watch ALL phillies games. i may do this again since weve now lost phl17. my point is if you get csn-dc in your area, it may work for flyers.

It doesn't work in all areas as the Orioles and Nationals market overlaps the Phillies market. None of Maryland is in the Phillies market, but cities such as Harrisburg are and would be blacked out in Extra Innings. No chance you could get the Phillies, unless they're on MASN, ESPN, or FOX.

Edited by adkinsjm, 03 April 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#2026 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

It doesn't work in all areas as the Orioles and Nationals market overlaps the Phillies market. None of Maryland is in the Phillies market, but cities such as Harrisburg are and would be blacked out in Extra Innings. No chance you could get the Phillies, unless they're on MASN, ESPN, or FOX.

Not exactly, parts of the harrisburg market are in Phillies territory, but aren't blacked out (for sure, anything west of the Susq) from MLB Extra Innings. They are, however, blacked out from MLB Network broadcasts, which makes no sense.

Check out this blackout map.

http://www.google.co...Q9QEwBQ&dur=658

#2027 OFFLINE   mjd180

mjd180

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

http://directvpromis...ng-negotiation/

Sports & Teams

Cubs: The Cubs will play 23 regular season games in April and WGN and WGN America will televise ten.

Local Viewing Options in Chicago

CSN Chicago will televise 10 of the 23 Cubs games during the season’s first month, excluding the April 5 season opener televised exclusively by WGN. WCIU will broadcast one game locally; FOX Sports (WFLD) will carry a national match-up with the Cardinals on April 14. Check local listings for details on each game.

National Viewing Options

MLB Network has five of the Cub’s 23 games in April scheduled to appear. ESPN has another two games and FOX Sports has one more. CSN Chicago will produce another 10 games available through MLB Extra Innings (www.mlb.com/TV) to people who live outside of the Cubs’ home territory. Check national listings for details on each game.

Online Streaming

All of the Cubs’ 23 games in April are available through MLB and its subscription services like MLB.TV (www.mlb.com/TV). The ten games produced and televised locally by WGN are not available online in Chicago, but all of the other 13 games during the season’s first month are available online to any Cubs fans outside of Chicago.

White Sox: The White Sox will play 23 regular season games in April and WGN and WGN America will televise only five.

CSN Chicago will televise 12 of the 23 White Sox games during the season’s first month, including the April 6 season opener from Texas. WCIU will broadcast another four games locally; ESPN and FOX Sports (WFLD) have one game each. Check local listing for details on each game.

National Viewing Options

MLB Network has two of the White Sox’ 23 games in April scheduled to appear nationally. ESPN and FOX Sports have one game each. CSN Chicago will produce another 12 games available through MLB Extra Innings (www.mlb.com/TV) to people who live outside of the White Sox home territory. Check national listings for details on each game.

Online Streaming

All of the White Sox 23 games in April are available through MLB.com and its subscription services like MLB.TV (www.mlb.com/TV). The five games produced and televised locally by WGN are not available online in Chicago, but all of the other 18 games during the season’s first month are available online to any White Sox fans outside of Chicago.

Bulls: The Bulls will play 13 regular season games in April and WGN will televise only three.

CSN Chicago will televise four of the 13 Bulls games during April. TNT has three more; ABC has another two; and WCIU will broadcast still another game. Check local listings for each game.

National Viewing Options

TNT has three of the Bulls’ 13 games in April scheduled to appear nationally, while ABC has two; and ESPN and NBA TV each have one more. CSN Chicago will produce another four games available through NBA League Pass to people who live outside of the Bulls’ home territory. Check national listings for details on each game.

Online Streaming

The NBA and Bulls have yet to make games officially available online, though many fan sites currently stream games.

All this concern for the Chicago market/sports fan. Yet not one word for the city/market with NO local broadcast outlet for ANY Phillies/Sixers/Flyers games. With the era of television subscription service slowly dying out in favor of the internet/etc, it seems a pretty safe bet that they're never going to get CSN, or serious market penetration in said area that is worthy of their concern...

#2028 ONLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

I wouldn't go that far yet. While movies and television series are increasingly following the online route, live games is the only real programming that require appointment viewers and billions are being forked over by the RSNs just for the rights on their respective networks.

CSN is only using exclusivity as a means to dissuade a consumer from going to competing providers such as D* and E* and I am uncertain how widespread FIOS is in the Philly area. With that said, I would like to know how many C* subscribers are there only because of the availability of CSN Philly. Lets not forget that there are some areas that couldn't receive cable at all, I wouldn't say that number is insignificant but it may be pivotal regarding media rights and distribution.

All this concern for the Chicago market/sports fan. Yet not one word for the city/market with NO local broadcast outlet for ANY Phillies/Sixers/Flyers games. With the era of television subscription service slowly dying out in favor of the internet/etc, it seems a pretty safe bet that they're never going to get CSN, or serious market penetration in said area that is worthy of their concern...

#2029 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Not exactly, parts of the harrisburg market are in Phillies territory, but aren't blacked out (for sure, anything west of the Susq) from MLB Extra Innings. They are, however, blacked out from MLB Network broadcasts, which makes no sense.

Check out this blackout map.

http://www.google.co...Q9QEwBQ&dur=658

The blackout area for MLB Network is pretty wide and doesn't correspondent to the confines of team markets.

#2030 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

The blackout area for MLB Network is pretty wide and doesn't correspondent to the confines of team markets.

Any post on where we can find the MBLN map? I get upset when MLB Network is broadcasting a Phillies game on main and Nats/Orioles game on -1alt, and they blackout both... You should atleast be able to get the team you're not blacked out of.

#2031 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

I just bailed on D* today. I can't wait anymore and the Tribune thing pushed me over the edge. Being hooked up now as we speak.....

#2032 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

CSN Sports Philadelphia has never been on DTV going back to the last century. I am wondering why Philladelphia sports fans subscribed to DTV. Didn't they know this fact when they signed up?

#2033 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

CSN Sports Philadelphia has never been on DTV going back to the last century. I am wondering why Philladelphia sports fans subscribed to DTV. Didn't they know this fact when they signed up?

I did, however I was told that getting CSN was a matter of time and they would have it by 2006.....then 07. then 08.......

#2034 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I did, however I was told that getting CSN was a matter of time and they would have it by 2006.....then 07. then 08.......

Which is why this thread should be closed, we should all stop speculating and if people want CSN go to Verizon or Comcr*p

#2035 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'd go to Comcast if it meant CSN Philly was in the lineup, but in my area they dont even provide CSN philly so what's the point. I'm a philly fan, in an orioles DMA, but Philly claims a 100mile radius.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#2036 ONLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I am wondering why Philladelphia sports fans subscribed to DTV. Didn't they know this fact when they signed up?

1. Sunday Ticket.
2. UEFA Soccer.
2. Despite my roots in Philly, I lived in a lot of cities. It is easier for me to deal with one provider.
3. The sports pack in addition to the respective subscription package enables me to watch other team feeds as if I am in the area.
4. I've always had a better deal with D* than I ever would with C*.

In short, the positives outweigh the one large negative.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#2037 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Interestingly, the morning show hosts on WHP radio yesterday were talking about Comcrap and CSN Philly and D*. They had a 10 min. discussion on the air about it. The one host (Dan Steele) mentioned that he signed up for D* last year and claimed that he was told by D* that they'd would have CSN Philly by spring training this year. Obviously, D* doesn't have CSN Philly and the MLB season is now here.

Their on-air discussion really made D* look bad, but they also mentioned about a lawsuit that D* apparently filed and won to gain CSN Philly but that Comcrap was throwing a hissy-fit and wouldn't abide by the court discussion. I don't have documentation as to a lawsuit or court decision as it was on-air discussion. I don't know if they were talking about the FCC loop-hole closure and were using the wrong terms (lawsuit vs. FCC decision) or there was an actual lawsuit. Anyone know about this?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2038 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Interestingly, the morning show hosts on WHP radio yesterday were talking about Comcrap and CSN Philly and D*. They had a 10 min. discussion on the air about it. The one host (Dan Steele) mentioned that he signed up for D* last year and claimed that he was told by D* that they'd would have CSN Philly by spring training this year. Obviously, D* doesn't have CSN Philly and the MLB season is now here.

Their on-air discussion really made D* look bad, but they also mentioned about a lawsuit that D* apparently filed and won to gain CSN Philly but that Comcrap was throwing a hissy-fit and wouldn't abide by the court discussion. I don't have documentation as to a lawsuit or court decision as it was on-air discussion. I don't know if they were talking about the FCC loop-hole closure and were using the wrong terms (lawsuit vs. FCC decision) or there was an actual lawsuit. Anyone know about this?

Just radio guys not doing research.

#2039 ONLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

I found an interesting tidbit from the Daily News (via google alerts).

Meanwhile, DirecTV and Comcast continue to "negotiate" over carriage of the latter's Philadelphia SportsNet channel, two years after the legal loop-hole was closed for Comcast to deny access. My thinking is that this issue will never be resolved, until DirecTV gives up its exclusive hold on NFL Sunday Ticket. Even the new Xfinity Live! super sports bar complex in South Philly has had to install 24 DirecTV boxes to keep the customers satisfied, and how annoying must that be to Comcast?

More over here

#2040 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Even the new Xfinity Live! super sports bar complex in South Philly has had to install 24 DirecTV boxes to keep the customers satisfied, and how annoying must that be to Comcast?

Best part...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...