Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#2081 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

This why it is not hopeless. A market value exists. The complexity is the contract itself. National rates for those out of market is a sticking point, because no prevailing rate structure exists. Also, language to ensure content is not bled to other channels. Lastly, infrastructure costs. Lots to fight over, but not insurmountable. The law, climate and market conditions are pointing in the right direction.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2082 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Inkahauts isn't a Direct TV super fan but he responds to every post with a six paragraph defense of the company. Some people love their wife but you love a corporate entity.. Have fun with that. Perhaps they'll throw a job in your direction sometime in the future as well if you keep sharing how wonderful you think their corporate decisions smell.

Fios is contracted to get their service to every person in Philadelphia county. I'm through throwing all the blame on Comcast.. Direct TV should shoulder some of the wrath as well. Here at DBS talk one gets brownie point for loving their cable(how dare I refer to it as cable?) company but the question is why?

I'm aware of the contractual obligations of the NFL and D* but thanks for explanation.. I do have Fios by the way. Just for your records. Comcast is a Philadelphia company so part of me does hope for their success. So, so sorry. Direct TV should pay whatever the price may be because their customer base in the area deserve it. Enough said... If they don't then they should stop acting like they give a **** about the situation. Fios at least gives their customers what they want.

I don’t understand why you take this so personally. If D* doesn’t have what you want you should go to switch to Comcast or FIOS. They aren’t obligated to carry the channels but you aren’t obligated to do business with them.
By the way, there was an article in the inquirer the other day about some local Philly people and a lawsuit against Comcast. I know the suit isn’t about Comcast Sportsnet Philly, but it does reflect on the company’s business habits.
Here’s the link:
http://www.philly.co...-complaint.html

#2083 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,797 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Lastly, infrastructure costs.

D* already gets the signal for MLBEI.

I wonder if this same thing will happen with CSN Houston?

#2084 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

they have a CSS Houston in place so maybe they can copy the other part of CSN Philly and put over flow on it and play games to keep others from getting it AKA RCN not getting the comcast network.

or they can just rename CSS Houston into CSN Houston.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2085 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

The infrastructure for this occurred through the landmark agreement a decade ago between MLB and its teams over Internet rights. Each team is required to provide SD and HD feed to MLB broadcast center. Directv can take signals from there.

#2086 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

That is what today's Philadelphia Inquirer reports for the most part in their business section of the paper.It pretty much said ,that CSN Philly won't appear on Directv or Dish for anytime soon.Do in most cases of Comcast high asking price for carriage which, doesn't fall into line with price of other RSN deals .This article can probably be accessed at philly.com the paers web site.I am barely hanging on to my Directv service with down grading to family package because of financial reasons with the very real chance of ending up with just a antenna.If per chance my finances steady or improve I,d have to say as far as a pay service and no Fios expansion with this news I would have to possibly make a deal with the devil Comcast now that it seems CSN Philly is just pipe dream for satellite.

#2087 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Important statement from that article: " Neither one of the companies (D* or E*) has expressed an interest in carrying the service at market rates.”

Read more: http://www.philly.co...l#ixzz1s7cYg9Oe
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Edited by wilbur_the_goose, 15 April 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#2088 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Important statement from that article: " Neither one of the companies has expressed an interest in carrying the service at market rates.”

Read more: http://www.philly.co...l#ixzz1s7cYg9Oe
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

And from the other side of the tracks:

Derek Chang, executive vice president at DirecTV, sees it differently.

“We would like to carry the product on fair and reasonable terms. We don’t think we’ve gotten those at this point,” Chang said.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#2089 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Before those of us in Philadelphia get too excited about this, don't forget that DirecTV would still have to PAY for this and come to a contract agreement with Comcast.

Given how "well" the negotiations between Comcast and DirecTV have gone over Versus, I'm not holding my breath that this will happen any time soon....

I think Peter305 is THE expert on this matter - this post from 2+ years ago is exactly correct. The rest of us have been overly optimistic.

If you want CSN-Philly, you must cancel D* and purchase C* or FIOS (assuming you can't afford both services)

#2090 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

it all depends on what your needs are to.

I have D and C.

currently D is where i have all my programming at Premier, and the Sprots packages.

C I have, HS internet, Phone, 1 box at the cheapest plan for 2 channels in HD CSN and TCN.

I thought about reversing it.

Make C the premier and then just have D on the family plan the cheapest plan. the only real reason I like D is the sports packages alot of them are in HD.

so I might do that.

in reality no matter what I decide to do, my bill will always be around 200 a month

but atleast I'll be able to watch the teams.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#2091 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

The whole Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia is a good argument why a cable or satellite company should not be allowed to own any programming.

There used to be standards such as these from the FCC. But, of course, money took care of that.

#2092 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,797 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

The whole Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia is a good argument why a cable or satellite company should not be allowed to own any programming.

There used to be standards such as these from the FCC. But, of course, money took care of that.

Or any professional sports teams.

#2093 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think Peter305 is THE expert on this matter - this post from 2+ years ago is exactly correct. The rest of us have been overly optimistic.

If you want CSN-Philly, you must cancel D* and purchase C* or FIOS (assuming you can't afford both services)

I can't claim any great expertise, but these two companies don't like each other. Didn't then, don't now. We might as well close this thread until there's something to celebrate. Don't hold your breath folks.

#2094 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Agreed.. we should lock it until there is some actual news on the topic because we are all just speculating month after month. None of us will know anything until D* and Comcrap announce something (don't hold your breathe) or SR tells us something.

If Comcrap was actually offering CSN Philly at the same price per Philly DMA sub that FiOS was paying, I would think D* would jump on it in no time.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2095 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

You guys are gonna be waiting untill the end of time. The Padres on the other hand did the right thing and left COX 4 and made their own network with FOX. Just wait untill the TV deal expire for the Phils and then you can say "FOX Sports Philadelphia", but for now, you're gonna have to pay two bills to get your Philly Sports fix :x

#2096 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,797 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Just wait untill the TV deal expire for the Phils and then you can say "FOX Sports Philadelphia"

That'll never happen as long as Comcast still owns the teams.

#2097 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well, I am pretty much done on this topic because I really have nothing more to add until the big news comes. The most I'll do is either actually go to the games or to a bar when time permits and watch other teams when I am at home.

But trust me when I say this. There are enough of us in Philly, South Jersey, Delaware, all the way up to Scranton, out to Harrisburg, and all parts in between that would love nothing more than to finally stick it to C* after all these years if it weren't for the desire to watch the Philly teams on an almost nightly basis.

#2098 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well, I am pretty much done on this topic because I really have nothing more to add until the big news comes. The most I'll do is either actually go to the games or to a bar when time permits and watch other teams when I am at home.

But trust me when I say this. There are enough of us in Philly, South Jersey, Delaware, all the way up to Scranton, out to Harrisburg, and all parts in between that would love nothing more than to finally stick it to C* after all these years if it weren't for the desire to watch the Philly teams on an almost nightly basis.

And this is exactly what will happen because Comcast has ticked people off.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2099 OFFLINE   FramundaCheeze

FramundaCheeze

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

http://www.topclassa...-heads-to-trial

Just found this.....another blow to the gut of C*.....

#2100 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

That'll never happen as long as Comcast still owns the teams.

Comcast does not own the Phillies. In fact, the Phillies own a part of CSN Philadelphia. Comcast recently sold the 76ers.

Edited by adkinsjm, 20 April 2012 - 07:59 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...