Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#2121 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

:::Crickets:::

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2122 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Where you expecting something else?

#2123 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Just because the loophole closed doesn't mean that a deal has to get done. In theory CSN Philly could be picked up for whatever ridicculous price that was offered and then that fee could just be an RSN fee for Philly customers but I'm betting the asking price was somewhere between ridiculous and insane just to make it clear that Comcast has no intention of letting DIRECTV have it. If DIRECTV were to get that channel they would dethrone comcast as the #1 provider in North America as Philly is a huge % of total Comcast customers.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2124 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Oh, Direct TV would bundle a quality Internet service to dethrone Comcast(or Fios)? Or would they give the urban residents of Philadelphia Sky Blue treating them like the they live in rural Iowa. Prolly that and no thanks.

#2125 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Oh, Direct TV would bundle a quality Internet service to dethrone Comcast(or Fios)? Or would they give the urban residents of Philadelphia Sky Blue treating them like the they live in rural Iowa. Prolly that and no thanks.

Internet is only available through partners and that is determined by their service regions. Nothing would stop people from getting DIRECTV TV and having Comcast cable for Internet.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2126 OFFLINE   nybill38

nybill38

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

why was this ridiculous thread revived?

#2127 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Internet is only available through partners and that is determined by their service regions. Nothing would stop people from getting DIRECTV TV and having Comcast cable for Internet.

But it would still be cheaper bundled through Verizon or Comcast.... Shades, Direct TV is raising the protection plan a few bucks. You better get your spread sheet prepped and filled with a myriad reason why we all deserve it. Why don't we as Philadelphians deserve our RSN Mr mr shades? Oh, it's cause Comcast is pure evil.. :)

#2128 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

I thought that the closing of the previous loophole (which was supposedly a condition for government approval of the Comcast-NBCU takeover) included an FCC arbitration process designed to ensure that Comcast could not attempt to gouge DirecTV and Dish Network on the rate for carriage of CSN Philly. As I understood it at the time it was enacted, if the rate offered by Comcast for DirecTV (and Dish) to carry CSN Philly was not at/near the going market rate for that type of channel, DirecTV and/or Dish could petition the FCC for an arbitration review. The FCC would then review the rates charged for similar channels, set a rate it deemed fair to both parties, and CSN Philly would then appear on DirecTV and/or Dish. If I remember correctly, the arbitration process included some time provisions that were not that long, so that the process couldn't drag on forever.

So did Comcast not offer CSN Philly to DirecTV and/or Dish at a market rate, but neither DirecTV nor Dish chose to request FCC arbitration? Or did Comcast offer CSN Philly at a market rate, but DirecTV and/or Dish simply chose not to carry the channel? Or is my understanding of the whole process mistaken? I remember thinking early this year that satellite customers would probably have this channel by the beginning of baseball season, upon hearing about this new process.

Edited by gcd0865, 16 August 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#2129 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

"hbg ota nut" apparently found it necessary, without actually having anything constructive to say about it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2130 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I thought that the closing of the previous loophole (which was supposedly a condition for government approval of the Comcast-NBCU takeover) included an FCC arbitration process designed to ensure that Comcast could not attempt to gouge DirecTV and Dish Network on the rate for carriage of CSN Philly. As I understood it at the time it was enacted, if the rate offered by Comcast for DirecTV (and Dish) to carry CSN Philly was not at/near the going market rate for that type of channel, DirecTV and/or Dish could petition the FCC for an arbitration review. The FCC would then review the rates charged for similar channels, set a rate it deemed fair to both parties, and CSN Philly would then appear on DirecTV and/or Dish. If I remember correctly, the arbitration process included some time provisions that were not that long, so that the process couldn't drag on forever.

So did Comcast not offer CSN Philly to DirecTV and/or Dish at a market rate, but neither DirecTV nor Dish chose to request FCC arbitration? Or did Comcast offer CSN Philly at a market rate, but DirecTV and/or Dish simply chose not to carry the channel? Or is my understanding of the whole process mistaken? I remember thinking early this year that satellite customers would probably have this channel by the beginning of baseball season, upon hearing about this new process.

The rate for CSN Philly is set. They sell it to Fios (the only entity within their Comcast territory in Philly) as well as cable systems all around the area outside their main Comcast Philly footprint.

That would be the price everyone works to. That price may well be very high for at least penetration into Philly itself. Prices can be set geographically (witness the higher price for BTN within Big Ten states versus outside them). Fios may very well have paid an extremely high price because they knew they would not get much penetration without CSN Philly inside Philadelphia.

I see how the FCC could order a lower price than what has already been established via existing contracts in open bargaining.

Yes, if Fios did not pay a very high price, then DirecTV and Dish may have an argument they would win with the FCC, if they want to go that route. Dish doesn't really care about RSNs while DirecTV may not want to have big legal arguments with Comcast overall (too much at stake).

All conjecture, of course.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2131 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

No one is ever going to ask the FCC to set a price for a channel like this. It's suicide for both parties. It's all about the price. Comcast wants more than what dtv and dish think it's worth. I don't expect that to ever change.

And Comcast broadcasting likely seeks that channel to Comcast cable at a ridiculously high price, so that hey can say the market price is sky hi.

#2132 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'd thought I'd never post in this thread again until there is something of substance.

D*'s only recourse at this point is to make the CSN-Philly carriage agreement a prerequisite for any renewal or initial agreement with an NBCU entity.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#2133 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

I'd thought I'd never post in this thread again until there is something of substance.

D*'s only recourse at this point is to make the CSN-Philly carriage agreement a prerequisite for any renewal or initial agreement with an NBCU entity.

Which would be counter to their mantra of not wanting companies to force bundles upon them to carry channels they don't want to carry and increase costs, with Viacom and the epic channels as the latest example.

#2134 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Fortunately, the Phillies stink this year, but the Sixers could be interesting. Oh well...

#2135 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

An excellent question! Why indeed?! Nothing new to report...nothing new to speculate over. So, let's please just let it die shall we....

#2136 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

The rate for CSN Philly is set. They sell it to Fios (the only entity within their Comcast territory in Philly) as well as cable systems all around the area outside their main Comcast Philly footprint.

That would be the price everyone works to. That price may well be very high for at least penetration into Philly itself. Prices can be set geographically (witness the higher price for BTN within Big Ten states versus outside them). Fios may very well have paid an extremely high price because they knew they would not get much penetration without CSN Philly inside Philadelphia.

I see how the FCC could order a lower price than what has already been established via existing contracts in open bargaining.

Yes, if Fios did not pay a very high price, then DirecTV and Dish may have an argument they would win with the FCC, if they want to go that route. Dish doesn't really care about RSNs while DirecTV may not want to have big legal arguments with Comcast overall (too much at stake).

All conjecture, of course.

Also: FIOS probably only covers the city and some suburbs, provided they are all Verizon.

DirecTV will cover every square foot of the nation, and specifically every square foot of the DMA that Comcast Philly serves.

There might be different legal and financial considerations that would make it *barely* profitable for Verizon, but *unprofitable* (without a big price increase to customers) for DirecTV and Dish.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2137 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Also: FIOS probably only covers the city and some suburbs, provided they are all Verizon.

DirecTV will cover every square foot of the nation, and specifically every square foot of the DMA that Comcast Philly serves.

There might be different legal and financial considerations that would make it *barely* profitable for Verizon, but *unprofitable* (without a big price increase to customers) for DirecTV and Dish.

Prices are set geographically for things like RSNs, typically. But it is possible that Comcast asks for a flat price for the whole country.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2138 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

When I saw that there was a new posting to this thread, I said to myself "oh, something new on the CSN Philly front". Guess I was wrong...
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2139 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

An excellent question! Why indeed?! Nothing new to report...nothing new to speculate over. So, let's please just let it die shall we....

peter this thread will close if and when CSN is on directv. Until that time this thread will be open, if it takes forever then so will this thread.

I have both D and Comcast, hoping that one day I can have 1 TV provider.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#2140 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

I only bumped because I missed the discussion, and was frankly surprised we had gone months without a new report of an "installer" with the inside scoop.

If we don't speak up for CSN on D*, who will?

spam firewall