Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#2181 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

DIRECTV has never had that channel. Its not like you lost the channel. I think your continuing to miss the problem with asking the FCC to set pricing for providers and Distributors. That's juts a bad idea all around. Not to mention, what's next? Every provider forced to carry every channel at the same pricing structures? Out the window with competition and pull out your wallets...

Philly isn't suffering because of dtvs vastly different system, they are suffering because only Verizon was willing to most likely way over pay to enter the market, where as DIRECTV doesn't need to have that market to survive by any stretch. And Comcast is the greediest company out there or so it seems. The day they compared their Portland RSN to a major nation sports channel is the day they showed that their self absorbed greedy selves know no limit to what they think they can charge people.

What Comcast wants for that channel does not fit in the pricing structure for DIRECTV. End of story. Unless something happens on comcasts end, I don't see that changing, because DIRECTV isn't going to start saying higher costs for channels are ok. they didn't pick up pac12 they sure as hell aren't going to pick up Comcast in Philly.

I agree. I'm in the Portland market and switched away from a provider which carried the PAC-12 Networks and CSNNW and went with DirecTV. I will miss watching the Blazers and Beavers, but I side with DirecTV on this. If the PAC-12 and CSNNW want me to watch then either lower the price or let me pay for them standalone. Otherwise, I will continue finding ways to watch their content without giving them a dime.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2182 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

GEEZE!!!! You guys have talked ENDLESSLY about these two channels! Get it out of your heads! Neither of these two channels are EVER going to be on DTV. They are NOT interested in getting them added. When are you going to learn to give up? All the endless whinning etc won't do any good. So what good does it do to keep talking / whinning about these two channels??

#2183 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well look at the bright side I guess... no RSN fee in the Philly DMA.

We have no RSN's. Anything good was always blacked out of RSN's when I had Premier. It's like what is the f'ing point of those channels then.

DirecTV's loss. Don't have an RSN in this area, you can't collect an RSN fee! I'm not complaining anymore.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#2184 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I think we'd only be affected if the Philly area had multiple RSNs and D* was carrying them all... such as MSG, MSG+, YES, and SNY in the NY DMA.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2185 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think we'd only be affected if the Philly area had multiple RSNs and D* was carrying them all... such as MSG, MSG+, YES, and SNY in the NY DMA.

I suspect the combined cost of CSN and TCN may come close to what the cost is for the New York RSN's, given how overpriced the two channels are. That said, I do believe we would've seen DirecTV add these channel by now, were it not for the cost of all RSN's skyrocketing out of control in recent years. DirecTV is more concerned with holding onto what they already have than trying to expand, and I believe rightfully so.

#2186 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I suspect the combined cost of CSN and TCN may come close to what the cost is for the New York RSN's, given how overpriced the two channels are. That said, I do believe we would've seen DirecTV add these channel by now, were it not for the cost of all RSN's skyrocketing out of control in recent years. DirecTV is more concerned with holding onto what they already have than trying to expand, and I believe rightfully so.

Agreed, but D* also knows how depressed their customer base is in the Philly market due to Comcrap.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2187 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Agreed, but D* also knows how depressed their customer base is in the Philly market due to Comcrap.

Depressed will come to an end when all the kinks are worked out of the X1 DVR and it becomes the primary DVR platform. They are still slowly rolling it out which takes time. It really is a nice system. Has some room for improvement yet. As long as it gets there and the pricing is right, there's no reason for a Phillies fan to get DirecTV in that area.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#2188 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

That's the big thing, it's been over 15 years since DirecTV had any pro sports in Philly with the old SportsChannel Philadelphia. DirecTV has to decide if the rate Comcast is demanding is worth it in a market where the fans that needed to watch every game are long gone. The remaining Philly subscriber base either doesn't care about those teams, are a fan who can get by with whatever games air on Fox, ESPN, TBS, TNT, NBC Sports, WPHL and/or WPSG or are stuck in an area with no other option but satellite like some of the more rural areas in CSN Philadelphia's expanded territory.

#2189 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Depressed will come to an end when all the kinks are worked out of the X1 DVR and it becomes the primary DVR platform. They are still slowly rolling it out which takes time. It really is a nice system. Has some room for improvement yet. As long as it gets there and the pricing is right, there's no reason for a Phillies fan to get DirecTV in that area.

Or Fios comes to your area like mine with their DVR which is every bit as good as Directv's. And they're cheaper then Directv even with 3 DVR's on my system.

I don't think Directv would pick up enough new subscribers to make it worthwhile for them to pay the price IMHO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#2190 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I don't think Directv would pick up enough new subscribers to make it worthwhile for them to pay the price IMHO.

Verizon FiOS only covers part of the Philly area. I think you'd be surprised how many people in Philly hate Comcrap and would switch to another carrier in an instant if D* carried CSN Philly. We may never find out...

#2191 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

For the record they are better known as Concrap.

#2192 OFFLINE   delawaredave

delawaredave

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

I dont have D* but would in a heart beat if they picked up CSN. Being from DE and being a huge Flyer/Phillie/football fan, I'd have all 3 sports packages, the works. Of course I have been saying this for a long long time. And yes, although I agree it probably will never happen, I still hold out hope it may. I have a dish on my house and ready to go should the day arrive! Of course there are ways around the blackout but cant write that here.....lol

#2193 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

That's the big thing, it's been over 15 years since DirecTV had any pro sports in Philly with the old SportsChannel Philadelphia. DirecTV has to decide if the rate Comcast is demanding is worth it in a market where the fans that needed to watch every game are long gone.

What's the basis for this comment? I don't see the Philadelphia fans any less interested in their teams. In fact, the success of the Phillies has probably increased the demand.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#2194 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

What's the basis for this comment? I don't see the Philadelphia fans any less interested in their teams. In fact, the success of the Phillies has probably increased the demand.

It's been 15 years since DirecTV had local sports in Philadelphia, the fans who need to see every single game, and not having them is a dealbreaker, would have switched by now if they had a choice. Especially since for at least 10 of those years Comcast didn't even have to enter into negotiations with either satellite provider because of the land based loophole.

Unlike most other markets though, they have had a decent over the air presence via games during the week and on weekends on WPHL, so that might have kept the casual fans who don't need to see every game.

Edited by KyL416, 25 February 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#2195 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

CSN Philly is on D* in market!!! ... Via unblacked out MLB preseason on MLBN 213 :) ... So this is what it would look like!!!

#2196 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

It's been 15 years since DirecTV had local sports in Philadelphia, the fans who need to see every single game, and not having them is a dealbreaker, would have switched by now if they had a choice. Especially since for at least 10 of those years Comcast didn't even have to enter into negotiations with either satellite provider because of the land based loophole.

Unlike most other markets though, they have had a decent over the air presence via games during the week and on weekends on WPHL, so that might have kept the casual fans who don't need to see every game.

And those same fans would be candidates to switch right back. It isn't as though Comcast's reputation is so great that they never lose customers. And, D* has NFL ST.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#2197 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

CSN Philly is on D* in market!!! ... Via unblacked out MLB preseason on MLBN 213 :) ... So this is what it would look like!!!

Don't get your hopes up. DirecTV won't pony up the cash, even though it has no problem ponying up for multiple RSNs in other markets.

#2198 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

As a CI subscriber, I am not happy that I cannot see Flyers broadcasters because CSN Philly isnt on D. Whats the deal with this? Is it solely about money? Why is it that they carry Comcast RSNs in every other major market, like San Francisco and Chicago, but Philly is holding out for 5 times the money? What gives?

#2199 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

As a CI subscriber, I am not happy that I cannot see Flyers broadcasters because CSN Philly isnt on D. Whats the deal with this? Is it solely about money? Why is it that they carry Comcast RSNs in every other major market, like San Francisco and Chicago, but Philly is holding out for 5 times the money? What gives?

See post 9 in this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...046&postcount=9

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#2200 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

ah gotcha...thanks. still youd THINK with the subscriber base that D has, they woudl WANT their channel on D and would figure out a way to get it there. The NHL Network can simulcats it when the Flyers are the home team. Also two years ago, D had Flyer playoff first round games from the CSN feed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...