Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#2241 OFFLINE   Jake34

Jake34

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Could the Phillies’ TV rights spark a bidding war between Comcast and Fox?

Interesting article on philly.com. This should start speculation on whether we can get access to Phillies on Directv if Fox get their tv rights.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2242 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Got a link?

#2243 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Got a link?

http://www.philly.co...idding-war.html

• Jimmy 440 likes this

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#2244 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Could the Phillies’ TV rights spark a bidding war between Comcast and Fox?

Interesting article on philly.com. This should start speculation on whether we can get access to Phillies on Directv if Fox get their tv rights.

maybe it can help the phillies push CSN to be on more systems.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2245 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Anything to make Comcrap sqirm is OK by me.  Having an alternate RSN in Philly would help competition..  plus I am sure that D* would be able to come to terms with a Fox RSN in that market.   Hopefully, the days of Comcrap having a stranglehold on the Philly DMA are numbered, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Jimmy 440 likes this

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2246 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 944 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Anything to make Comcrap sqirm is OK by me.  Having an alternate RSN in Philly would help competition..  plus I am sure that D* would be able to come to terms with a Fox RSN in that market.   Hopefully, the days of Comcrap having a stranglehold on the Philly DMA are numbered, but I wouldn't count on it.

I agree.

It's disgusting Comcast has gotten away with this for so long.

It would be remarkable if Comcast and its Comcast SportsNet were to lose Philadelphia Phillies to Fox Sports.

• Jimmy 440 likes this

#2247 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Comcrap will fight to the DEATH to keep CSN Philly off of D* and E*.  They have too much at stake (stranglehold on Philly sports programming) in that market to allow another competitor (after Verizon FiOS) to gain access to that channel.  The only reason D* carries other CSN RSNs (Chicago, Bay Area, etc.) is due to their satellite usage for signal transport.

DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#2248 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

dont you think if the phillies go to fox comcast will make damn sure that they do not carry the channel on their systems.

#2249 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

dont you think if the phillies go to fox comcast will make damn sure that they do not carry the channel on their systems.

Why? No system wants to lock anybody out. What do they gain if they would keep Fox Philly off Comcast? They'd lose phillies fans.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2250 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Comcrap will fight to the DEATH to keep CSN Philly off of D* and E*.  They have too much at stake (stranglehold on Philly sports programming) in that market to allow another competitor (after Verizon FiOS) to gain access to that channel.  The only reason D* carries other CSN RSNs (Chicago, Bay Area, etc.) is due to their satellite usage for signal transport.

Bay area is 25% fox.

Chicago teams own 75% and the old sports channel Chicago / fox sports Chicago was on satellite and all cable systems.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2251 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

INCORRECT. While it WAS correct for many years it no longer is. This is nothing but a money issue now.

#2252 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I understand.. the original issue was the loophole.  The current issue is money indeed... meaning, how much $$$ Comcrap would lose (as a cable TV provider) if CSN Philly were on D*...there would be loads of people in the Philly dumping Comcrap and moving to D*.  Comcrap says that D* isn't offering a fair amount per sub for CSN Philly.  We aren't privvy to the discussions, but I would imagine that Comcrap is offering CSN to D* for an unreasonable fee... I would assume well beyond what Verizon pays.

#2253 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yes, Comcast is doing the same thing in Houston and Portland.  Asking for a ridiculous price per subscriber, thereby, making the satellite companies refuse to accept the offer and keeping the channel exclusive to cable.

They're basically refusing to negotiate and none of these 3 channels will ever be on DirecTV.

#2254 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yes, Comcast is doing the same thing in Houston and Portland.  Asking for a ridiculous price per subscriber, thereby, making the satellite companies refuse to accept the offer and keeping the channel exclusive to cable.

They're basically refusing to negotiate and none of these 3 channels will ever be on DirecTV.

The Astros owner is asking for the ridiculous price in Houston, not Comcast.

#2255 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

The Astros owner is asking for the ridiculous price in Houston, not Comcast.

Probly been bought off by Comcast

#2256 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Probly been bought off by Comcast

Actually, the report (rumor?) was that Comcast was agreeing to a deal and the Stros nixed it. Most of the noise is coming from the Astros, not Comcast in this case. But who knows for sure?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2257 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I haven't been on in a while so this may seem a bit late to comment from when you all did.  Anyways, I read the article and I have concluded several scenarios, the first being the most probable on what will happen.

Phillies contract ends in 2014 with CSN.  So this is why rumors, reports, etc are going on.  Fox  has lost alot of Big Cities,  FSN use to have FSN NY, FSN CHI, FSN New Eng, but basically have lost alot of major cities, and now Fox is trying to comeback into more of a power against other compeitiors like ESPN, and CSN / NBC.  So They want to try and get back in a major city, and it seems with the philies TV contract coming up, they will take a shot at setting up FSN Philadelphia.  We all know if FSN philly goes up great chance it goes on Directv.  The last thing Comcast wants to see.

So It's funny reading it how comcast would not make a deal if FSN philly happens, so the fans in philly would in order to see phillies would have to have Directv or provider that carries FSN philly, and a provider that has CSN philly for the Flyers or Sixers.     I know the sixers are on CSN through the 2029 season, im not sure on flyers, but Comcast owns them so I doubt they will ever be moving from CSN.

So is it possible Fans would have to have   Directv and  comcast or verizon    so they have in there house all the options needed to see there teams on different networks.  So the fans would be stuck paying 2 TV providers which would suck, and by the way  I'm currently paying for both Directv and Comcast,  I have comcast set on the lowest tv package for CSN,  I have directv for everything else..

So what I think Comcast might do is pay a higer rights fee and a new tv contract would kick in for phillies to remain on CSN.  The higher rights fee would help bring in revenue for phillies each year to help improve the ball club.  They i believe don't want to pay a higher fee, but I believe comcast would give into the phillies asking price if it means they keep the 3 sports teams on its network.

thus ending any hope of FSN philly being born.

My other thought was if they some how are able to get FSN philly launched, would that finally be the key to letting comcast striking a deal with D to letting CSN on and then comcast would add FSN at a reasonable price.

Personally I doubt comcast would give in and basically let  D have CSN and FSN  and doubt comcast wants FSN on its channel luneup 

for the fans best case scenario, CSN and FSN be available to both D and Comcast and fans get to choose, but this choice is the one we would like but i doubt would ever happen.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#2258 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

I know that Comcast treats the Philly market differently, but the scenario (without the DirecTV complication) played itself out just a couple years ago in the Mid Atlantic. MASN came into being. Comcast lost the Orioles contract (and did not have a chance to gain the Nationals contract) and carried MASN on their system.

I don't see Comcast not carrying FSN Philly if it comes into existence, if the price is reasonable. The cable/satellite provider is not the one that usually turns down programming for branding reasons.  The typical reason is because of the terms and cost, not the branding.

Of course, I could see Comcast upping the bid to keep the Phillies on CSN, but I don't see them making it high enough to spite themselves unless they think CSN Philly would disappear.

#2259 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

for the fans best case scenario, CSN and FSN be available to both D and Comcast and fans get to choose, but this choice is the one we would like but i doubt would ever happen.

As an expat Philadelphian I'd love to see this scenario realized, but share your pessimism. I continue to pay two providers (including Comcast), thereby affording access to the Pac 12 network and other HD channels not currently available via DirecTV, but would exchange them in a heartbeat to view CSN Philly.

#2260 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm pleased to see this will be  the 2260th comrment in this thread.  It is well past time we gave up on the Comcr*p DirecTV squabble, we'll all be a LOT older before progress is made on this one.   Let's swear off posting here for another year shall we?   We can then come back and complain that nothing has changed for another year.    This is all about two big companies not willing to give an inch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...