Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#2381 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

How do they ask for a "surcharge"? Did they get those who signed up for it to sign contract stating not only a price, but also the ability to add a surcharge if they overpay for rights in the future?

If so, no wonder Directv hasn't signed up, and this would make it even less likely they ever will.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2382 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

As has been mentioned, Comcast has gotten a 15-year head start on Philly sports customers.  Chances are most of those that remain with Directv in the Philly area are those that don't put much value in Phillies, Flyers and Sixers games.  So adding CSN would not add much value to their current customers.  The question is to what extent Directv could move existing Comcast customers over to Directv if it added CSN.  Due to switching costs (largely inconvenience and people not taking the time to research), it probably wouldn't be worth the cost to Directv.

#2383 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Not only that but would they make enough money off the new customer to pay for the one new channel that would cost them $5 or so for EVERY customer in that market?

#2384 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

I really hope the FCC requires Comcast to divest all their content in order to be permitted to merge. I'll bet if they did the merger wouldn't go through. They want to be able to leverage the sort of strategy nationwide to steal customers from competing cable and satellite providers.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#2385 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

I appreciate this truly is “beating a dead horse” (evidenced by the fact the last post in this thread appeared in March) and CSN Philadelphia likely will never be offered by DirecTV. Nevertheless, an article last week in the Wall Street Journal addressing SportsNet LA listed average monthly subscriber fees for selected RSNs. Several carried by DirecTV – viz., FS North, CSN Mid-Atlantic and NESN – exceed the figure specified for CSN Philly.  

Earlier in the year, press reports noted a study by JP Morgan disclosing CSN Philly was the sixth-most expensive RSN, costing $3.90 per subscriber (while MSG mandated an outlay of $5.44).

If memory serves, DirecTV refused to enter into arbitration with Comcast, fearing the latter might be granted an excessive award. However, is it not reasonable to assume an arbitrator necessarily would take into account carriage fees paid by Comcast (to itself!), Verizon and small cable operators in the Philly region thereby constraining DirecTV’s financial burden?

Of course I am unfamiliar with the specifics of DirecTV - Comcast interchanges and the former’s cost-benefit analysis regarding the addition of CSN Philly, but as a Philadelphia expatriate still “hope against hope” the parties ultimately will consummate an agreement.

#2386 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

As neither an expatriate, and not a fan of The Eagles, The Phillies, nor the Fliers, etc,. But I too hope the fans get a square deal. I've never liked Comcast, even on FB! :), and this give me reason to loathe them. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2387 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

I appreciate this truly is “beating a dead horse” (evidenced by the fact the last post in this thread appeared in March) and CSN Philadelphia likely will never be offered by DirecTV. Nevertheless, an article last week in the Wall Street Journal addressing SportsNet LA listed average monthly subscriber fees for selected RSNs. Several carried by DirecTV – viz., FS North, CSN Mid-Atlantic and NESN – exceed the figure specified for CSN Philly.  

Earlier in the year, press reports noted a study by JP Morgan disclosing CSN Philly was the sixth-most expensive RSN, costing $3.90 per subscriber (while MSG mandated an outlay of $5.44).

If memory serves, DirecTV refused to enter into arbitration with Comcast, fearing the latter might be granted an excessive award. However, is it not reasonable to assume an arbitrator necessarily would take into account carriage fees paid by Comcast (to itself!), Verizon and small cable operators in the Philly region thereby constraining DirecTV’s financial burden?

Of course I am unfamiliar with the specifics of DirecTV - Comcast interchanges and the former’s cost-benefit analysis regarding the addition of CSN Philly, but as a Philadelphia expatriate still “hope against hope” the parties ultimately will consummate an agreement.

But unlike other RSN's they also need to buy TCN Philly.

And does comcast want full price even in outer rings?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2388 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

And i think its those outer rings that are causing all the pricing issues...  and something that is not like ANY other provider except Dish...

#2389 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Right now, the market has likely segmented to some extent in Philly between Philly sports fans (must have Comcast) and non-Philly sports fans (Comcast or Dish or DTV is acceptable).  The existing DTV and DISH customers in Philly are likely not avid sports fans (or at least Philly teams).  Therefore, Directv adding CSN would be of little value to them and the per-subscriber fee would have to be lower than average to justify, which of course isn't going to happen.

Now you could say that over time, sports fans in Philly would flock to a Directv w/ CSN, but there are switching costs.

In my opinion, a truly fair arbitration on CSN, SportsNet LA, etc. would call for ratings-based payments given that they have been able to use their market power to get a leg up on their competitors and already take the die hard sports fans.

#2390 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

I just spent 7 months in the Philly area for work and had Comcast there for my work residence.  I can understand why Philly fans would want CSN-P to be included on D* with all of Philly sports covered there, but TCN would have to be included since it has essentially become an overflow sports channel.  For those of us outside of Philly, TCN would be blacked out 90% of the time since they replay games most of the time.  If ever it would be added, it would be a sub channel at best.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#2391 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Remember - we're talking Flyers, 76ers, and Phillies.   They all stink this year.

I have FiOS for CSN-Philly, and I don't think I've used it more than a few times the last month.  You know what they say about the grass being greener - I was so psyched to get it, binged on it for a bit, and seldom watch it anymore.

Now, if they had Tony Bruno......  (I'm a big Tony Bruno fan)

• fireponcoal likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996

#2392 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Remember - we're talking Flyers, 76ers, and Phillies.   They all stink this year.

I have FiOS for CSN-Philly, and I don't think I've used it more than a few times the last month.  You know what they say about the grass being greener - I was so psyched to get it, binged on it for a bit, and seldom watch it anymore.

Now, if they had Tony Bruno......  (I'm a big Tony Bruno fan)

Yes, all -- including the Flyers -- likely will prove disappointing. However, I'd enjoy watching such shows as Philly Sports Talk and Eagles Postgame Live. The CSN Philly website only offers short excerpts from these programs. 

• damondlt and 1980ws like this

#2393 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

"I appreciate this truly is “beating a dead horse” 

You can say that again!   :bang

Protected By... spam firewall...And...