Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Camaro305

Camaro305

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

your posting that 6 months later. And closing the loophole would allow sat companies to negotiate. the fcc voted 4-1 to close it.

Comcast says it would not appeal.

that article you read if you say was posted the day after

we have the transcript from court in march 16 and comcast says they will not appeal.

as of now directv and dish network are allowed to negotiate to add the channel.

Awesome. Thanks for the report. Have a great day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

your posting that 6 months later. And closing the loophole would allow sat companies to negotiate. the fcc voted 4-1 to close it.

Comcast says it would not appeal.

that article you read if you say was posted the day after

we have the transcript from court in march 16 and comcast says they will not appeal.

as of now directv and dish network are allowed to negotiate to add the channel.

I just love those terms.... :rolleyes:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#283 OFFLINE   Camaro305

Camaro305

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

I just love those terms.... :rolleyes:

Lol. Hopefully we'll hear something soon then. The only thing I do miss with Comcast is Flyers hockey.

#284 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Lol. Hopefully we'll hear something soon then. The only thing I do miss with Comcast is Flyers hockey.

Cummon....I figured you for a Howard Eskine fan... :lol:

#285 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

We want Amy Fadool and Leslie Gudel on Directv.

#286 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

D* and E* were "allowed" to negotiate this entire time. They didn't need the FCC or any other agency to give them that permission. The problem is that Comcrap didn't want to talk as it had no interest in providing the CSN Philly signal to them.

Obviously, Comcrap knows when and if they come to carriage agreement(s) with D* and/or E*, that there will be a giant sucking sound in the Philly area to Comcrap's competitors. They are dead set against this. I believe, if I am correct, that Comcrap would have to agree monetarily to the same price per sub for E* and/or D* that Verizon pays per sub. Otherwise, Comcrap could simply ask for $1000 per sub in the Philly market and offer CSN Philly to E* or D*.

We will never know if the two sides (either satellite company and Comcrap) are talking until after an agreement, if ever, is reached. As I've said before, I am not holding my breath.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#287 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

D* and E* were "allowed" to negotiate this entire time. They didn't need the FCC or any other agency to give them that permission. The problem is that Comcrap didn't want to talk as it had no interest in providing the CSN Philly signal to them.

comcast was / is will give D* CSN Philly for NFL ST
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#288 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

comcast was / is will give D* CSN Philly for NFL ST

Yeah, but what will the NFL do with CSN Philly (they are the ones who own the rights to give, not DirecTV).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#289 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

Yeah, but what will the NFL do with CSN Philly (they are the ones who own the rights to give, not DirecTV).

:hurah::grin::uglyhamme:goofygrin!rolling:rolling:

I love it when people try to make the argument that DirecTV owns Sunday Ticket
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#290 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

DirecTV Formally Asks For Access To Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

DBS Provider Would Not Say Whether It Will File Complaint With FCC
John Eggerton -- Multichannel News, 6/25/2010 11:29:14 AM

DirecTV has requested access to Comcast's terrestrially delivered regional sports network in Philadelphia.
"We have formally requested the programming," said DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer.

He had no comment on whether DirecTV would file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission if the cable company did not make Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia available.
"[We] received their request and will review in due course and respond accordingly," said Comcast spokesman Tim Fitzpatrick. He would not elaborate.
The request follows the FCC's notice that the complaint-process portion of its January decision to close the so-called terrestrial exemption had been approved and that that process was open for business.
The FCC in January changed its rules to say that distributors who did not make their co-owned terrestrially delivered nets available to competitors on reasonable terms and conditions would be presumptively in violation of its program access rules. Before that the FCC had exempted terrestrial nets, in most cases it was regional sports nets (RSNs) at issue, because of language in the statute that specified the access rules applied to satellite-delivered networks.
In advance of the OMB sign-off announcement, Cox agreed to start negotiating with AT&T and others in San Diego and AT&T made its own formal request for MSG Networks HD programming in Connecticut. But AT&T was not reluctant to add a sting to the tail. It gave Cablevision and MSG 10 days to begin negotiating before it would ask the FCC to make them. Cablevision issued no comment in response to the AT&T letter.
Also part of the FCC's decision was that operators could not satisfy the access requirement by making standard-definition feeds available, but not HD feeds, as is the case with MSG in Connecticut.
Cablevision has challenged the FCC's program access rules in court, Comcast has not and told legislators at a Hill hearing on the Comcast/NBCU deal that it has no plans to do so.
In written answers to Sen. Al Franken on the issue of access to affiliated nets, Comcast chairman Brian Roberts said that it was ready to make Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia available to DirecTV as soon as the satellite operator made its exclusive Sunday Ticket package avaiable to Comcast and others.
Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia is already available to competing cable operators. RCN has carried the net since its launch in 1997 and Verizon's FiOS since that service launched in Philadelphia, according to Fitzpatrick.

#291 OFFLINE   Camaro305

Camaro305

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Didn't DirecTV simply just pay more for NFLST? What makes them own it? Comcast couldn't have bidded higher and gotten it?

#292 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

....Comcast chairman Brian Roberts said that it was ready to make Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia available to DirecTV as soon as the satellite operator made its exclusive Sunday Ticket package available to Comcast and others...

What does that have to do with anything???
HarryD

#293 OFFLINE   ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

....Comcast chairman Brian Roberts said that it was ready to make Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia available to DirecTV as soon as the satellite operator made its exclusive Sunday Ticket package available to Comcast and others...

What does that have to do with anything???

It has absolutely nothing to do with it. The NFL owns NFL Sunday Ticket, not DirecTV.
A better analogy would be if Comcast wanted The 101 network.
A perfect analogy would be if DirecTV intentionally withheld FSN Pittsburgh or FSN Rocky Mountain from Comcast customers and refused to allow Comcast to even come to the negotiation table.

#294 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

It has absolutely nothing to do with it. The NFL owns NFL Sunday Ticket, not DirecTV.
A better analogy would be if Comcast wanted The 101 network.
A perfect analogy would be if DirecTV intentionally withheld FSN Pittsburgh or FSN Rocky Mountain from Comcast customers and refused to allow Comcast to even come to the negotiation table.

Correct.

The DirecTV agreement with the NFL has various contractual provisions between those 2 parties.

The NFL can also negotiate an agreement with other parties.

The statement by Brian Roberts of Comcast is simply a smokescreen negotiating ploy, and he certainly knows it doesn't represent the facts.

#295 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Please get your facts straight before you post erroneous things. D* does not own NFL ST. The NFL owns the package and, thus, licenses the package to D* in return for D* paying huge sums of $$$. The NFL put the package up for bids and D* won the bidding. Comcrap, etc. are just PO'd that they didn't win the bidding war and their company chairman uses this fact in convoluted ways to confuse the public with misleading and untruthful info.

D*, even if it wanted to, can't then re-license NFL ST to Comcrap. This would be kind of like sub-letting an apartment. NFL ST is not D*'s property to give out to others. Only the property owner (NFL) can can license it to someone other than D*, but I would imagine that the current deal b/w NFL and D* says that D* will be the sole provider of NFL ST (at least for the length of the current contract) and, thus, why D* pays so much for it. If the NFL wants to split this package to multiple providers when the current contract expires, it will save D* lots of money (since the loss of the exclusivity will drop the programming value per carrier) but also cost them (by some customers leaving D* for another carrier of the package).

Anyone know when the current NFL ST contract w/ D* expires?

There is no way that Comcrap can will a legal argument over not providing D* with CSN Philly because D* was the high bidder to the NFL for NFL ST. These are two totally different unrelated subjects. If Comcrap wants NFL ST so much, maybe they better pony up the $$$ when the current NFL ST contract expires and bids are obtained from carriers.

The fact that D* is national, and no cable company truly is (but rather more regional), and the fact that D* has much more HD capacity than any cable company, I see NFL ST carriage on D* being the most beneficial to the NFL. I don't think most cable companies could handle another 15 part-time HD channels each Sunday, at least with their current infrastructure.

Edited by n3ntj, 25 June 2010 - 01:04 PM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#296 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

I can't believe Comcast can get away with an idiotic line like that in Congress. The NFL does not want Sunday Ticket to be widely available as that would hurt their broadcast network contracts, that is part of why they keep jacking the fee up so high for it every year because it's ok with them if people don't get it. I don't think Sunday Ticket will ever be on more than one exclusive provider and I don't think cable will ever get it since cable is easy to get and has probably the lead market share in most areas (not my area but that's another story).

#297 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Anyone know when the current NFL ST contract w/ D* expires?

After the 2014 season. DirecTV will NEVER give up exclusive rights though, they'll pay anything the NFL asks.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#298 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

I can't believe Comcast can get away with an idiotic line like that in Congress. The NFL does not want Sunday Ticket to be widely available as that would hurt their broadcast network contracts, that is part of why they keep jacking the fee up so high for it every year because it's ok with them if people don't get it. I don't think Sunday Ticket will ever be on more than one exclusive provider and I don't think cable will ever get it since cable is easy to get and has probably the lead market share in most areas (not my area but that's another story).

But with whats happening with the american needle and starcaps cases. Comcast maybe able to sue the NFL to get ST and they may win.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#299 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

But with whats happening with the american needle and starcaps cases. Comcast maybe able to sue the NFL to get ST and they may win.

No way. That's like ABC suing NHL because Versus has certain exclusive playoff games.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#300 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Please get your facts straight before you post erroneous things. D* does not own NFL ST. The NFL owns the package and, thus, licenses the package to D* in return for D* paying huge sums of $$$. The NFL put the package up for bids and D* won the bidding.

I'm gonna assume you hit the wrong quote button because that is what I said.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall