Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Correct.

The DirecTV agreement with the NFL has various contractual provisions between those 2 parties.

The NFL can also negotiate an agreement with other parties.

The statement by Brian Roberts of Comcast is simply a smokescreen negotiating ploy, and he certainly knows it doesn't represent the facts.

Brian Roberts is simply just an egotistical jerk; he received the Comcast job because he is the son of Comcast founder Ralph Roberts. Brian Roberts has made it his life's passion to squash anyone and everyone. I truly believe Brian Roberts would sell his mother and anyone and anything else to further his insatiable quest for money and furthering his ego. In my opinion Brian Roberts simply is one classless act. I cringe at the fact that he will soon be the head of NBC. It will one of the saddest moments in US history when one of the most unethical and integrity challenged individuals in the world wins in his quest for NBC. Brian Roberts is the poster child for corporate greed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

Brian Roberts is simply just an egotistical jerk; he received the Comcast job because he is the son of Comcast founder Ralph Roberts. Brian Roberts has made it his life's passion to squash anyone and everyone. I truly believe Brian Roberts would sell his mother and anyone and anything else to further his insatiable quest for money and furthering his ego. In my opinion Brian Roberts simply is one classless act. I cringe at the fact that he will soon be the head of NBC. It will one of the saddest moments in US history when one of the most unethical and integrity challenged individuals in the world wins in his quest for NBC. Brian Roberts is the poster child for corporate greed.

I don't know anything about the guy but I feel for you DirecTV subs up there in Philly. Comcast has been a thorn in everyone's side for a long time, imo.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#303 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

scoop8, Amen - especially since they own 100% of the Flyers and 76ers.

#304 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hmmm, that's the first I remember hearing about this April 2nd date, and about the cable companies not being able to fight the ruling until March 3rd. I guess that means we should start hearing a lot more about this over the next couple weeks.

Theres nothing on CSNBA. I sure miss FOX Sports Bay Area. They had content 24/7. Comcast sucks! Watch NBC go downhill fast!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#305 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

As much as many of us dislike C*, they server their ONLY stakeholder (their shareholders) pretty well. That's success in today's economy.

#306 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

As much as many of us dislike C*, they server their ONLY stakeholder (their shareholders) pretty well. That's success in today's economy.

As far as Comcast Philly goes, I do not think they are.

I use two pieces of information.

1. CSN is on satellite in several major markets. Philly being the only one they are completely blocking. Yet somehow, Comcast makes money in Chicago, New York, Baltimore/Washington, the Bay Area....

2. Where the teams are NOT owned by Comcast, they insist that they are on all providers. It was an absolute requirement when the Mets entered into a partnership on SNY. It was an absolute requirement when the Sox, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks entered into a partnership on CSN Chicago.

The first tells me they are overselling their exclusivity in Philly (especially now that Fios has CSN Philly). The second tells me that they would do better for their owned teams if they didn't keep satellite away.

What I think they HAVE done is tick people off. If they had opened up CSN Philly to satellite long ago, they would be fine. Now, they may have ticked enough people off that they don't want to deal with them if they have a choice.

I just cannot say that a business makes good decisions just because they make money. There are tons of ways that Comcast makes bad decisions that cost them money.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#307 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

As far as Comcast Philly goes, I do not think they are.

I use two pieces of information.

1. CSN is on satellite in several major markets. Philly being the only one they are completely blocking. Yet somehow, Comcast makes money in Chicago, New York, Baltimore/Washington, the Bay Area....

2. Where the teams are NOT owned by Comcast, they insist that they are on all providers. It was an absolute requirement when the Mets entered into a partnership on SNY. It was an absolute requirement when the Sox, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks entered into a partnership on CSN Chicago.

The first tells me they are overselling their exclusivity in Philly (especially now that Fios has CSN Philly). The second tells me that they would do better for their owned teams if they didn't keep satellite away.

Also with CSN Chicago the over flow games have been on CLTV (comcast only for years) and later on MOJO HD as well (cable only)

And CSN + SD was and still is on all area systems and Directv had CSN + HD back when MOJO HD was being used for the HD over flow. CSN + 2 also the first time it was used was on a comcast only channel and that was on all area systems as well and there was a ad on it for the used channel complete with it's comcast number.

But With CSN Philly + / HD uses Comcast Network for over flow and they give other cable systems a hard time / bill them a high cost to get it.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#308 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

Put it this way - D*/E* only have 4% of the Philly DMA. Seems pretty successful to me.

In fact, the only folks I work with that have D* other than me are guys from India, who get D* for its international programming. Local folks are like Stepford wifes - they're mindlessly following Comcast wherever it goes.

#309 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

I usually don't add anything to these types of threads, as the noise from the corporate/politicians (particularly 'back east' types) are proven, as in this thread time and again, arguments totally without merit.

But, about 2 years ago, an ex-Philly inhabitant moved into my cul-de-sac, and in doing the 'welcome wagon' bit, the conversation got around to discussing video suppliers, especially as of the 15 homes here, only a couple DON'T have satellite tv (Comcast).

He said he had thought about it, but all the 'local' philly regulations and such made it virtually impossible to get installed. I mentioned that no such ILLEGAL shenanigans here, although some neighborhood associations had in the past tried to ban such (I did live in one such, and had to 'hide' my installation). The current state Atty. Gen. ® is still using our tax dollars to try and get the courts to overturn the FCC rules and regs, but most of these onerous local practices have faded into history here.

But anyway, this new neighbor finally took the plunge about a year after moving in, and in taking with him the other day, exclaimed 'why would anyone EVERY stay with cable? I'm kicking myself for not going with it a LONG time ago!'.

Well, he 'stuck' with it simply due to two things: First, it's all he ever knew, and Second, because of the ILLEGAL pressures in his old city to keep him on cable. Pure and Simple.

America is a highly mobile country, and as folks move around, they get exposed to different things.

#310 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Local folks are like Stepford wifes - they're mindlessly following Comcast wherever it goes.

Of course, it's Philly... that's why "Move Closer To Your World" will be the Action News theme song until the Second Coming-and if they can ever get the cloning thing perfected, Jim Gardener will always be the lead anchor! :lol:

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#311 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Put it this way - D*/E* only have 4% of the Philly DMA. Seems pretty successful to me.

In fact, the only folks I work with that have D* other than me are guys from India, who get D* for its international programming. Local folks are like Stepford wifes - they're mindlessly following Comcast wherever it goes.

Just the opposite on the New Jersey side of the river, at least with the people I work with and know. Most have either satellite or have dropped Comcast for FIOS the day it came to their area. Most of the ones that went with FIOS remember when we had good cable outlets in South Jersey BEFORE Comcast acquired them all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#312 OFFLINE   carver012

carver012

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

just wondering if comcast wont carry philly then why are the cubs/philly games blacked out?

#313 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

dhhaines, they went with FIOS because, for some reason unknown to me, C* allows CSN on FIOS.

I could get FIOS over here in Chester County, but I really dislike VZ. I have this feeling they still think POTS is the wave of the future because EVERYTHING they market requires landline telephone service.

#314 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

dhhaines, they went with FIOS because, for some reason unknown to me, C* allows CSN on FIOS.

Imagine if Comcra... er, Comcast DIDN'T allow Verizon to have CSN Philly. One day, ol' Brian goes to make a call in his office and gets "We're sorry, your call could not be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again, or give us access to CSN Philly..." :D

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#315 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

The reason why CSN Philly is on FIOS is because Comcast can't withhold it from them.

Why it's not been on Dish or DirecTV is because of the loophole in the law (paid for by Comcast to Uncle Spector's back pocket) that said that Comcast could withhold the channel from sat providers so long as the channel itself is never delivered by satellite anywhere.

Thus Comcast legally all these years has simply told Dish and DirecTV to pound sand. They cannot do that to FIOS, Uverse or other cable companies.

What changed at the beginning of the year is that the FCC *finally* said that loophole is stupid and closed it. Thus now Comcast can no longer tell Dish and DirecTV to pound sand and must negotiate in good faith a deal for them to carry CSN Philly.

And Comcast cannot continue to withhold it from DirecTV for any reason, including their crying about Sunday Ticket which they themselves could have bid on and won the last time it was up for bid.

#316 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Comcast is so wrong about comparing NFLST to CSN Phila.first any body in their home market gets their NFL team games as long as they are sold out.Though this is not the case with them keeping Phillies,Sixers &Flyers games from any body in Phila area that dosen,t subscribe to them.This is especially bad since they also own the Sixers&Flyers too.On top of this not any of those 2 teams games are even made available to over the air Tv as well.As I,mentioned before at least if I subscribed to one of the NBA league pass or MLB extra inning I,couldn,t watch my teams even if it was the other teams feed.This is even a bigger problem since you would be paying for prermium for this.Hopefully we will get CSN Phila. in the near future also some people live in pockets that Comcast won,t wire a couple homes and don,t have a choice.Yes I,had a choice and better equipment and all around pic quality was worth and still is after leaving Comcast over 3yrs ago.

#317 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

and CSN-PHILLY is the only reason i would leave comcast for fios :)
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#318 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

I'd like to see E* also file a brief to try to get CSN Philly. Comcrap can't use the NFL ST argument with E*.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#319 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Why it's not been on Dish or DirecTV is because of the loophole in the law (paid for by Comcast to Uncle Spector's back pocket) that said that Comcast could withhold the channel from sat providers so long as the channel itself is never delivered by satellite anywhere.

Sorry, but that's not completely correct. The terrestrial loophole allowed providers to withhold programming from all other providers, not just sat providers. I give you the situation is San Diego with Cox and NYC with Cablevision.

They allowed VZ to carry, methinks, because VZ carries almost as much political weight in Philly as Comcast does.

#320 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

I could get FIOS over here in Chester County, but I really dislike VZ. I have this feeling they still think POTS is the wave of the future because EVERYTHING they market requires landline telephone service.

That's... not true. You don't need landline phone service with them to get FiOS. And if you do get landline phone service, who says it has to be POTS? They offer FiOS Digital Voice, which is VoIP.

spam firewall