Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#426 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,942 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

I'd wish the Philly teams would ban together and demand carriage or just buy the network out. But I guess they don't care, they get paid either way.

I wish more RSN's were like NESN, the teams themselves own it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#427 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I'd wish the Philly teams would ban together and demand carriage or just buy the network out. But I guess they don't care, they get paid either way.

I wish more RSN's were like NESN, the teams themselves own it.

Comcast owns the teams in Philly.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#428 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,942 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Comcast owns the teams in Philly.

DOH! Thats right. So much for that idea. :o

#429 OFFLINE   greatone

greatone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

it is good if the team owns the network and the team nesn redsox
it is bad and should be illegal for a provider to own the network and the broadcasting rights cox cable 4sd padres
it is even worse for the provider to own the team and the network comcast
philly sixers flyers phillies

Edited by greatone, 22 August 2010 - 02:25 AM.
more better

#430 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Just a thought Comcast does own the Sixers & Flyers which they even don,t allow any OTA local games .The Phillies aren,t own by them and do show some OTA on My Phl 17 locally.What the Phillies could do to pressure Comcast is to demand they allow all satellite providers access to CSN Phila.If not taken seriously should start their own channel which, would be a big blow for Comcast since it is a larger revenue getter then Sixers or Flyers .I,m sure with the possibility of extra revenue from their own channel the Phillies could see the plus to this .They even could court the Eagles to comming on board with their in house broadcast of showes and pre season games too.If this is some what of a repeat of earlier post by me sorry but, redid this some what since original post didn,t show.

#431 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

The Phillies own 30% of CSN-Philly. They like the status quo.

#432 OFFLINE   edgo41

edgo41

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHarbeson, DE

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

About a year ago, I sent an email to the Phillies asking them about why they allow comcrap to withhold there broadcast to D* and E* with the intentions that they are playing there games in a stadium that was 50% funded by the residents of PA through taxes and why I cannot watch that them on my choice of cable or whatever. I actually got a phone call from an executive from the Phillies and respected my email and wished that Comcrap would come up with a compromise. It seemed like they did not want to go into taxpayers paying for half of the stadium. I think if there is enough pressure put on the Phillies it might help on negotiations. Write emails to the Phillies. Just a thought.

With DirecTv since 1997

H24-700

h25-700
HR21-100
HR20-700

HR34

C31

#433 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

until then, i stilll have to pay for 2 tv services D and C i know no one in this market wants to have C but i say just get it at the cheapest price for games on CSN and TCN.

will last year marked the first time ever no flyers sixers on 17 or 57.

My guess more games will be on TCN then ever before soon.

#434 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

la24 - I make a fair buck, but could never afford D* AND C*. How much is C* costing you just for CSN-Philly?

#435 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

i pay 40 bucks amonth for basically 2 channels, the rest i have D. its like im paying for a premium channel for just 2 channels. But thats all I have is the cheapest package plus HD.

Edited by la24philly, 23 August 2010 - 09:19 AM.

#436 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Flyers have 8 preseason games 4 home 4 road 3 games will be on csn/tcn

CSN PHilly has 3 games for the NHL preseason. 2 Games will actually be on TCN due to phillies on CSN.

9/21/10 7pm New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center TCN
9/29/10 7pm New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center TCN

10/1/10 7pm Buffalo Sabers @ Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center CSN

i feel more and more TCN will get more games. last year TCN got 10 flyers game tahts alot

#437 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

It's called the Wells Fargo Center now? I always liked the "FU Center" as that is what Comcrap is doing to all of us.

I can't stand how these sports arenas are always being renamed to the highest bidder.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#438 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Just a note I, dislike Comcast as much as the next person but, the arena namming rights originally was CoresState Bank .Which was taken over by First Union who was taken over by now Wells Fargo .So, it,s still the same rights but, each time the new co. got to rename the building as part of the purchase.which is good for only one reason that Comcast was hoping to rename with their signature but, each time the new co. wanted to continue the agreement with the new name .I also sent off a e mail to the Phillies about the carriage of their games not being available to satellite customers also mentioned suggestions as I posted here previously.

#439 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

n3tj,
I moved to Philly in 1993. Opened an account with Meridian Bank out of Reading PA.

Bought by Core States.
Bought by First Union (hence, the FUC became the home of the Flyers and Sixers)
Bought by Wachovia
Bought by Wells Fargo

Same bank, new name.

To me, Wells Fargo is nuts for renaming the Wacky - it's a Western bank with zero brand presence here in PA.

#440 OFFLINE   ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

n3tj,
I moved to Philly in 1993. Opened an account with Meridian Bank out of Reading PA.

Bought by Core States.
Bought by First Union (hence, the FUC became the home of the Flyers and Sixers)
Bought by Wachovia
Bought by Wells Fargo

Same bank, new name.

To me, Wells Fargo is nuts for renaming the Wacky - it's a Western bank with zero brand presence here in PA.

Wachovia is going away. All the Wachovia branches are converting to Wells Fargo stores nationwide. Pennsylvania is set for April 2011.

#441 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

the sign was taken down and the new wells fargo sign will be up on 9/14.

lady gaga will be the first event with the new sign.

#442 OFFLINE   onefunpun

onefunpun

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Sorry if this has been suggested here before -- I really believe that Comcast knows they will eventually lose this issue, but they plan to use it as a chip and give it up (with other concessions not as harsh because of their so-called capitulation on this) to get the NBC deal through the FCC & the DOJ. They likely believe this has value in trade, thus they won't roll over at this point...

#443 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Here is another reason Comcast is holding Phila. area sports fans hostage.Reading this morning in the sports sec. of Phila. Inquirer the Sixers Tv schedule for this season and low and behold as usual only one national game on TNT .Which I know is because of their record the last few years tha being said Comcast doesn,t allow any local OTA broadcast of these games.Yes again Comcast shuts out everybody that don,t have cable this has been their direction in the last 3 yrs. when they stopped airing some games on local OTA even if that was maybe 6-10 games .Come on FCC start pressuring Comcast to open up CSN and if for some stupid reason they allow status quoa then someone should at least have them make some games available thru OTA.

#444 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

I think last year was a start 10 flyers and sixers games were on TCN 0 on puplic tv 17 or 57.

The day CSN makes games available on D. Watch for more games to be moved to TCN.

#445 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

I think last year was a start 10 flyers and sixers games were on TCN 0 on puplic tv 17 or 57.

The day CSN makes games available on D. Watch for more games to be moved to TCN.

Couple points on this. First, the loophole is effectively closed. The FCC ruled on that several months ago. Now there's an appeals process going on with that, but Comcast decided not to appeal the decision (although CableVision did). When the appeals process is over, the forced carriage of an RSN won't be done by default. Instead each provider wanting access to the channel is going to have to make the case to the FCC. That is, they're going to have to demonstrate that they've been hurt, financially, by not being able to carry an RSN. That bar will be set obscenely low. From everything I've read, I can't imagine there are going to be any cases where the FCC prevents the carriage of such a channel.

In fact, the case that Verizon made to the FCC on this, in the hearing in which they called for the closing of the loophole, centered around the fact that other providers are hurt by unfair competitive practices when only one provider has access to an RSN. Even though Verizon wasn't prevented from carrying CSN Philly, they used that RSN to make their case. They argued that DBS dish penetration in the Philly market is 40% below the expected penetration rate for a market this size... and they attributed it to the lack of ability of DirecTV and Dish to carry CSN Phily. They made a similar argument about San Diego.

The FCC bought the argument, which means that (since CSN Philly was specifically used in Verizon's argument) when all this mess is done, when DirecTV goes to the FCC asking for the channel, they're going to get it. At some point DirecTV will get the channel.

One last point - the argument you made about more games going to TCN... that doesn't hold water for one reason. Comcast isn't holding other providers back on TCN. DirecTV could carry it today if they wanted to - after much griping from FiOS subscribers, Verizon finally relented and added the SD version of the channel to our FiOS line-up. And trust me, if Comcast had to do it all over again, they wouldn't give Verizon access to CSN Philly. The fact that they did the first time out still surprises me.

#446 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Great, informative post, jpl. I too was shocked when FiOS was given access to CSN. I have some philly fans living in my south jersey home so I was forced to get FiOS for their games. I'll be happy when it shows up on Directv and I can drop it.

Do you know how long the appeal process is expected to take?

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#447 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,744 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Couple points on this. First, the loophole is effectively closed. The FCC ruled on that several months ago. Now there's an appeals process going on with that, but Comcast decided not to appeal the decision (although CableVision did). When the appeals process is over, the forced carriage of an RSN won't be done by default. Instead each provider wanting access to the channel is going to have to make the case to the FCC. That is, they're going to have to demonstrate that they've been hurt, financially, by not being able to carry an RSN. That bar will be set obscenely low. From everything I've read, I can't imagine there are going to be any cases where the FCC prevents the carriage of such a channel.

In fact, the case that Verizon made to the FCC on this, in the hearing in which they called for the closing of the loophole, centered around the fact that other providers are hurt by unfair competitive practices when only one provider has access to an RSN. Even though Verizon wasn't prevented from carrying CSN Philly, they used that RSN to make their case. They argued that DBS dish penetration in the Philly market is 40% below the expected penetration rate for a market this size... and they attributed it to the lack of ability of DirecTV and Dish to carry CSN Phily. They made a similar argument about San Diego.

The FCC bought the argument, which means that (since CSN Philly was specifically used in Verizon's argument) when all this mess is done, when DirecTV goes to the FCC asking for the channel, they're going to get it. At some point DirecTV will get the channel.

One last point - the argument you made about more games going to TCN... that doesn't hold water for one reason. Comcast isn't holding other providers back on TCN. DirecTV could carry it today if they wanted to - after much griping from FiOS subscribers, Verizon finally relented and added the SD version of the channel to our FiOS line-up. And trust me, if Comcast had to do it all over again, they wouldn't give Verizon access to CSN Philly. The fact that they did the first time out still surprises me.

Good post. I, too, was surprised that Comcrap let Verizon have CSN Philly a few years back. I would imagine the appeals process will take 3~6 months. D* and Comcrap still have to then agree on a deal.... this could take a long time, unless Comcrap is required to offer D* the channel at the same price (per sub) that Verizon paid. I would imagine that such a law exists to prevent a provide from 'giving' a channel to one provider and 'gouging' another provider for the same channel.

I know that D* will eventually get CSN Philly HD (someday!), but I am not holding my breath until I see it for myself. I could also foresee Comcrap providing CSN Philly to D* using the worst possible equipment and feed method to D* (dropped signal, video/audio out of sync, etc.) just to piss off D* customers. You just know Comcrap will do whatever they can to try to screw D* customers.

:hurah:

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#448 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Washington, D.C. (July 29, 2010) -- DIRECTV and Dish Network viewers may finally be able to watch Philadelphia area sports teams from the comfort of their homes.

Mulitchannel News reports that Comcast is negotiating the rights to carry Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia with both DIRECTV and Dish Network. The regional sports channel carries the Phillies, Flyers and 76ers in Philadelphia.

Until recently, federal law permitted the cable operator to deny the satcasters access to CSN Philadelphia. However, the FCC ruled earlier this year that cable operators must offer the channels they own to their rivals.

However, despite the ruling, it's not a definite that Comcast and the satcasters will reach an agreement. Additionally, it's possible that Comcast could license the standard-definition version of CSN Philadelphia, but not the high-def edition.

#449 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Comcast does not plan to appeal the decision, so DirecTV and Dish can negotiate immediately to add the channel to their lineups. Both providers formally asked for access to the channel on June 25, 2010. On July 28, 2010, it was reported that Comcast is in talks with DirecTV and Dish Network for carriage of CSN Philadelphia. Two days later, after accusing Comcast of refusing to negotiate in good faith, Dish Network said it will file a complaint with the FCC.

#450 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

I would say that CSN philly will be on D and E by end of sept / oct

i noticed that comcast when they do anything as far as adding channels and launching channels it always is in sept / oct for some reason.

but i wonder if when they do csn philly will it only be the SD version

Protected By... spam firewall...And...